Talk

Advanced search

to assume my new neighbour is a massive racist?

(179 Posts)
QoFE Mon 11-Feb-19 13:06:38

New neighbours over the road moved in over the weekend.

They have 3 vehicles, one car each and a sports car.

The sports car has what can only be a personalised number plate reading XXXX KKK (obvs not actually XXXX but a combination of letters and numbers that would definitely be one you'd have to pay for).

So... Why would you pay for a number plate with KKK on? DP thinks I'm being judgemental and maybe it was the only one with the first part that they wanted so they overlooked the ending but surely nobody would do that? I mean it's like having a number plate reading N4ZI - you just wouldn't would you?

Helmetbymidnight Mon 11-Feb-19 13:08:33

yeuccchhhhh.

i hate them already.

ChariotsofFish Mon 11-Feb-19 13:10:44

Potentially they’re just really really thick. They don’t sound promising.

WarpedGalaxy Mon 11-Feb-19 13:10:53

Maybe they’re Kardashians or bought the car from Kardashians? <clutching at straws>

FriarTuck Mon 11-Feb-19 13:11:39

If the first bit is obviously personalised then I'd assume they got landed with KKK or went with it because it didn't detract as much from the personalised bit as say AFH would i.e. it makes the personalised bit look personalised whereas ending in AFH wouldn't. Not everyone would immediately think Klu Klux Klan, particularly if they were excited about bagging their personalised plate, and possibly also if they were younger and hadn't heard so much about them.

Igotthemheavyboobs Mon 11-Feb-19 13:11:42

The could have bought the car with that plate. I wouldn't notice something like that until it was too late

Helmetbymidnight Mon 11-Feb-19 13:12:57

i suppose they might have 3 k kids...

MeredithGrey1 Mon 11-Feb-19 13:13:11

DP thinks I'm being judgemental and maybe it was the only one with the first part that they wanted so they overlooked the ending but surely nobody would do that?

I agree, but I'd say there is also a possibility they're just ignorant and don't actually know/care about the meaning.

Lifecraft Mon 11-Feb-19 13:13:18

Are you sure it's personalised? My friend has a car which has the last 3 letters PPP. Just random, that's the plate that was allocated to the car.

If it is personalised, it might be their initials. Of perhaps 3 in the family whose first names all start with K.

They might never have heard of the KKK. Not sure you have enough info to declare them racists.

stevie69 Mon 11-Feb-19 13:18:19

Not sure you have enough info to declare them racists.

I'm sure. And you don't blush

derxa Mon 11-Feb-19 13:20:01

Who cares

ChardonnaysPrettySister Mon 11-Feb-19 13:20:14

I thought offensive letters combination weren’t uses?

WWWWicked Mon 11-Feb-19 13:20:37

I wouldn't pick KKK - but I just told a colleague about this thread (we're on our lunch break) and she looked at me really blankly. She genuinely hasn't a clue what KKK stands for.

Helmetbymidnight Mon 11-Feb-19 13:21:17

Blimey. Tell her she's dim from me.

ApolloandDaphne Mon 11-Feb-19 13:22:33

And maybe they are called Kev and Kim with the surname Kerry?

Justgivemesomepeace Mon 11-Feb-19 13:22:50

Might they just be a bit thick? I can think of about 3 people i know who wouldnt have a clue what the KKK were.

Seniorschoolmum Mon 11-Feb-19 13:24:42

Why don’t you give them the benefit of the doubt until you’ve met them.

I can’t imagine anyone normal would choose KKK as their plate so it should become clear fairly quickly.

Maybe they bought the car with the plate already on it and can’t afford to change it.

Heronymous Mon 11-Feb-19 13:25:47

They’re either kkk fans (and massive racists), or it means something unrelated and they just don’t care about the kkk angle (arguably still racist), or they don’t know what kkk stands for (i.e. they’re thick as shit).

Either way I would be giving them a wide berth.

highheelsandbobblehats Mon 11-Feb-19 13:26:20

Our old Ford Orion had the registration F729 PPP (we got it when I was 9, and it's still the only one I can recite perfectly, I forgot my current one regularly. Could be randomly and unfortunately generated.

Is their name Kevin Keith King? Unfortunate initials? My old teacher had the initials PIG. He made fun of it before we could.

RoastOx Mon 11-Feb-19 13:28:09

YABU

A lot of youngsters in my office dont know what the KKK is. And if DVLA doesn't deem it offensive, maybe you shouldn't.

Jesus wept this world is easily offended

LordProfFekkoThePenguinPhD Mon 11-Feb-19 13:29:29

They sound very thick.

highheelsandbobblehats Mon 11-Feb-19 13:30:05

That all said, to quote Under Seige 2....

'Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups'.

Let it go, stop judging, take a bunch of flowers and go introduce yourself.

Halloumimuffin Mon 11-Feb-19 13:32:57

It might be that KKK was the cheapest option (because noone wants the association) and they just didn't think about it or assumed noone else would.

Onlyjoinedforthisthread Mon 11-Feb-19 13:33:56

You're being a judgemental snob what does it matter how many cars and what kind they are?,
we used to eat in an Indian restaurant house special had the initials KKK and that's what they called it.

It might be the owners initials or anything

SaveKevin Mon 11-Feb-19 13:35:18

I had a used car that had KKK as the plate, hated driving about in it for that reason!! But I'm not a massive racist (or even a little one).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: