Talk

Advanced search

To still not know which gym classes are better for weighloss cardio or weight training(body pump)

(34 Posts)
Oldermummy2019 Sun 27-Jan-19 17:45:39

I have been really good with going to gym classes in the last two years, however I have failed to loose 3kg about 6.5 pounds.

I have been attending cardio classes 3 times a week, body step,combat or attack. A friend has recommended body pump 3 times a week instead.

AIBU to still think Cardio burns more calories.I know it’s 80 percent diet but just want to earn my wine glasses. Never drink more than 2.

NoArmaniNoPunani Sun 27-Jan-19 17:47:31

Weight training continues to burn calories for hours after you've worked out

dementedpixie Sun 27-Jan-19 17:48:35

I would do a mix of both. Body pump is good for toning and changing body shape. It has a bit of cardio in it too. I do 2 body pump, 2 gym fit and 1 body attack class per week. My problem is that I eat too much afterwards!

WoogleCone Sun 27-Jan-19 17:49:35

I've never done attack or the higher intensity classes as I'm asthmatic and can't cope with the speed but I found body pump to be amazing, especially the Les mills ones.
Gets you sweating and ALL the muscles hurt the day after haha! As its weight lifting too, you increase the weights as you go so you're always making progress with your strength.
I'm looking forward to going back after I've had this baby

ragged Sun 27-Jan-19 17:50:52

Do both. I don't mean a mix, I mean 6 sessions/week smile

Hoopaloop Sun 27-Jan-19 17:52:31

Just weights.

AprilSpring Sun 27-Jan-19 17:53:38

The exercises that you enjoy the most and therefore participate and go to regularly are the best for you!

MIdgebabe Sun 27-Jan-19 17:54:57

If you build muscle it takes less space than fat so giving you a slimmer figure for the same weight.

Muscle also apparently burns more calories than fat , so a muscly person will be able to eat more than a flabby person all else being equal.

So you will lose weight faster if you have more muscle ( assuming you don’t eat to compensate)

NicoAndTheNiners Sun 27-Jan-19 17:55:13

Body pump is definitely a cardio workout as well as weights. Squat track and back track get my HR up nicely. It's true that weightlifting continues to burn calories for longer after the workout than cardio. Plus as your muscle mass increases your basic metabolic rate will increase.

RJnomore1 Sun 27-Jan-19 17:55:13

Weights.

Don't waste your time doing cardio unless you love it.

Waste of time, makes you hungry, more you do more your body adapts and longer you need to do for same calorie burn, etc etc.

RJnomore1 Sun 27-Jan-19 17:56:00

And nick is right weights can give you a good cardio workout too.

BigFatGoalie Sun 27-Jan-19 17:59:45

You HAVE to lift weights. Have have have have to.
Read Body for Life for Women, they map it out for you. Weight training every day and only 20 minutes of cardio three times a week.
Lifting weights will change your body, shape, metabolic rate and tone you up!

areyoubeingserviced Sun 27-Jan-19 18:02:16

Try some spin , weights/body pump .
Try not to focus too much on the scales

BIWI Sun 27-Jan-19 18:03:27

You can't outrun your fork.

Going to the gym is great - really good for you and your mental health, but you have to work really, really, really hard to lose a lot of weight.

Your diet should be your first priority.

GypsyRoseTea Sun 27-Jan-19 18:04:28

I do spin and kettlebells

Onestep2 Sun 27-Jan-19 18:14:11

I personally despise body pump and would say if you want to incorporate weights to do it in the gym with a programme made. (I love all other les mills classes but hate pump lol)

Also would recommend metafit as it's a high burner as u keep burning for 24years hours after it. (So they say)

SemperIdem Sun 27-Jan-19 18:20:17

Following this with interest. Not least because I despite cardio and the more reasons to not do it, the better!

hidinginthenightgarden Sun 27-Jan-19 20:27:16

Hit classes are great for burning fat. Diet is important too though.

Oldermummy2019 Sun 27-Jan-19 22:38:02

Sounds to me that my friend is right about les mills pump and other Hit classes being more effective? Thank you so much everyone. I will do 3 days strength training and report back in a few weeks.

Sorry Ragged there is no way I can go to the gym 6 days a week. I have a family and a full time job. There is also something called Blaze starting soon, could be interesting.

Thank you big fat goalie, I will read body for life. I am ok managing calories but love wine🙈 Can stay within 1200 with 2 glasses of red included.

dementedpixie Sun 27-Jan-19 22:40:39

On one of my days I do pump followed by attack. Could you run any of yours back to back

CanYouHearThePeopleSing Sun 27-Jan-19 22:59:47

I'm guessing you're at a David Lloyd club if you're getting Blaze classes?

I'm mainly a runner (I don't do it to lose weight, I do it for the fresh air, company/social element and for baseline fitness), but I supplement that with weights for strength, conditioning exercises and some classes - because I enjoy them.

BodyPump is great for getting your HR up as well as strength and toning. But you have to do it regularly for it to be effective. The first time you do it, you won't be able to move the day after, but if you go every week, you will get used to it and you can gradually up your weights to make it harder. You HAVE to get your technique right for it to be properly effective - it drives me mad watching people doing it wrong (often because their weights are too heavy, so they have to call on additional muscle groups to shift the weights), and they are generally TOTALLY ignoring the instructor.

I did my first Blaze class on Sat. I think that's another one that you'd need to do every week to see the effect. It certainly burns the calories though - again, you need to get the technique right to get the proper benefit. Annoyingly, they want you to buy your own MyZone HR monitor, which isn't cheap (and is a bit of a cheek, I think). I already have a watch which measures HR - I don't want another device that does the same!

Aquamarine1029 Sun 27-Jan-19 23:02:42

One problem I have noticed time and time again with friends who are trying to lose weight while exercising is that they overestimate how much they can eat. They think the bit of exercise they are doing will negate the extra calories. It will not, not by a long shot. You would have to train like mad every day to burn up the calories your body doesn't need. The fact is, you can't out-exercise a bad diet.

Triskaidekaphilia Sun 27-Jan-19 23:24:59

You'll probably lose weight faster with cardio in the short term but weight training will make you thinner and more toned, and building the muscle will up your daily calorie burn in the long term.

stinkypoo Sun 27-Jan-19 23:37:57

A mix of both is best, strength training is really beneficial as an aid to losing weight.

Oldermummy2019 Mon 28-Jan-19 18:59:57

Thank you all for your advice did body pump today, hard work it’s certainly had work...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: