Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think my house is too cold?

(129 Posts)
myhouseistoocold Thu 24-Jan-19 11:20:49

My kitchen today is 11 degrees C, my hallway is 14 (no radiators in either). My dining room where I'm working from home is currently 16. My bedroom is usually 18 or 19 in the mornings (these last two weeks).

Is it normal for Victorian houses to be this cold? We bought this house 4 years ago and I just can't ever get warm here in winter.

Are these normal temps for a UK house in winter or should I be trying to move (or somehow impossibly save up for a zillion-pound extension with triple glazing and under floor heating)?!

bellabasset Thu 24-Jan-19 21:40:24

My house is partly 1725 and partly 1905 but lower ceilings, part cob, part stone nearly 2' thick walls. But DG. The heating is set at 20° and has been on for about 5hrs today. The temp is 19 to 20°

My bill's are due around this time of the quarter, and I've just submitted the readings and the bill is for £267 and my account is £95 in credit. My annual usage is around 9500 for gas and 2600 for elec.The projected cost is around £900 annually and I pay it over the year.

Downtheroadfirstonleft Thu 24-Jan-19 22:00:46

secondary glazing is your (V ugly) friend!

Phineyj Thu 24-Jan-19 22:05:14

Sorry if this has already been said but can't you purchase a couple of electric fan heaters and just heat the room you are in? If you are diligent about shutting doors that would surely be a lot easier and cheaper in the short term. I couldn't tolerate the kind of temperatures you are describing if I was working at home as my hands would get too cold to type.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 24-Jan-19 22:36:08

Too cold for me

Keeping heating on low keeps house warmer and cheaper then having on for 2/3hrs am and pm

Bless radiators and get some heaters in

Going to get colder

And yes bills do go up but I pay same monthly all year round so winter is covered and I don’t think I can’t turn heating up as can’t afford it

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »