Talk

Advanced search

How far have you had to carry on a lie?

(88 Posts)
whatacrapusername2306 Thu 24-Jan-19 10:47:58

Not me, but I got deeply engrossed in a post yesterday. It was reported and removed because the OP was a blatant liar and admitted so. So out of curiosity have you ever told a white lie without giving it a second thought, then the whole thing snowballing? Years ago I did have an casual friend who lied about her son ‘possibly’ having cancer. He had a simple blood test, they called him back but she made the results sound like he was going to need chemo or something. All turned out to be complete BS. I saw a lot of people back off from her from then on.

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow1 Thu 24-Jan-19 10:53:32

I wouldn't call saying your son might have cancer when your just taking him for a routine blood test "a little white lie"

Littleraindrop15 Thu 24-Jan-19 10:56:21

I've not personally had the experience of my lie snowballing (white lies/protect someone from getting hurt). I do know a woman who can't actually tell us exactly what her degree was in and claims she went Wales for uni, came across her uni certificate from a local uni and it wasn't a proper degree either. Her family all think she is some sort of doctor and has completed a PhD.

I sip my wine whilst she tells us all to address her in Dr format.

whatacrapusername2306 Thu 24-Jan-19 10:58:29

Thats the point Im making NotSuchA. My friend started with a blood test story, seemed to be be getting attention from it so kept making the story bigger and bigger, hence the name of the the post.

WellThisIsShit Thu 24-Jan-19 10:59:07

www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2018/11/15/girl-wheelchair-said-she-was-critically-ill-her-mothers-brutal-murder-exposed-truth/?utm_term=.8abbbb8cfa4f

Candymay Thu 24-Jan-19 10:59:14

This is not quite the same as a lie but one evening I met someone on a bus- it was a couple with their baby in a pram. The man smiled at me and then started to talk to me about the time we had worked together and how things are with him now etc. I didn’t know him at all but I kept it going and he showed me the new baby etc and i congratulated him and admired the baby and introduced myself to the wife. I just didn’t know whether I knew him but had forgotten so I just kept going until I got off the bus. The friend I was with on the bus couldn’t believe it when we got off and I admitted I didn’t know the man and she said I took it too far but it wasn’t deliberate.

Expatworkingmum Thu 24-Jan-19 11:01:37

Told my boyfriend’s mum I liked Christmas pudding on our first Christmas together, because I didn’t want to seem like a fuss pot.

I actually can’t stand it.

Didn’t expect to marry the bloke.

12 Christmases later.....

sheldonstwin Thu 24-Jan-19 11:03:33

When I was a child I remember lying a bit. I remember making out to my friend that I was aged 11 on my birthday, when really I was just 10. It was so silly, as we were in the same class. Eventually I had to admit it and I said that I had been joking.

It's taken me over 40 years to understand why I lied on that occasion. But I suppose that's one of the few good things about getting older: you begin to understand yourself.

eniledam Thu 24-Jan-19 11:05:23

Not nearly as serious as lying about cancer (!) but I have an ongoing thing with my DH. We're very, very competitive, and one day we were comparing exam results. We had identical GCSEs, and then moved on to A-levels.

He told me got ABB (which is true, I've seen his certificates). Now I have A*BC, which is technically equivalent when you count them as UCAS points. But just to annoy him, I told him I got A*BB.

I've kept this lie up for the last 5 years. When I got a new job, I had a close shave when he started reading my CV. Not sure how I'll play it if he ever comes across my A-level certificates grin

ElvisParsley Thu 24-Jan-19 11:05:52

I want to know what the blatant lie thread from yesterday was? The newborn baby in the office one?

whatacrapusername2306 Thu 24-Jan-19 11:08:27

yes Elvis. A whole thread about a newborn and a possible kidnapping. As you can imagine, lots of concern. Was all for the bants it seems. Nut job.

BarbarianMum Thu 24-Jan-19 11:10:09

Some years ago now I met an old colleague at a work related event. We hadn't seen each other in a number of years, during which time I'd had kids (and much cake) and list my former sylph-like figure.

On perceiving my new rotundity, he congratulated me on my up and coming baby. I was so excruitatingly embarrassed, and didnt want to embarrass him cause he's a nice guy, that I just said thanks and didn't disillusion him.

These days I bump into him every 2 or 3 years and he always asks after my 3 children, so now I have a fictious 3rd son whose name and age I keep forgetting and I have to do quick calculations as to which school year he's in, if asked. Its been (I think) 8 years and counting. I wish now Id just embarrassed him in the first place.

Badtasteflump Thu 24-Jan-19 11:21:33

Ha yes I did a small but very silly and embarrassing one a few years ago. A school mum I used to chat to at the gates thought my name was Tracey for some reason (it isn't). But I didn't want to embarrass her by saying she'd got my name wrong, so I didn't say anything. Over the next few weeks she seemed to use my name all time time, sometimes calling me across the playground to say hi, and I would respond like I was Tracey blush, but the longer it went on, the more nuts I would have looked pointing it out.

One afternoon we were walking towards the school together and another mum came up from behind and joined us. The 'Tracey caller' woman said to other mum "Ooh hi, I was just telling Tracey about blah blah'.

Other mum looked confused and said 'Who's Tracey?'

Tracey caller 'Well - this is' - pointing at me.

Other mum, looking at me "No you're not, you're flump!'

Me (mumbling) "Well yes, I know, but she thought I was Tracey and I didn't say I wasn't and now it's gone on too long for me to say anything....'

That was quite embarrassing and although they're both still friendly to me they probably think I'm a bit strange....

TaintforTheLikesOfWe Thu 24-Jan-19 11:26:56

Barbarian that is a peach. grin

HellsBellsAndBatteredBananas Thu 24-Jan-19 11:27:08

I was branded a liar as a young child but in reality I was so insecure and desperate for attention that I lived in my own bubble with imaginary friends . It took a long time for me to mature and I was a victim of CSE and then I would lie about everything.....I would become a different person and create an entire persona but that was simply me trying to escape from my own shitty life as a young teen. Since I had in depth counselling as a young adult I have owned it all and tell the truth no matter how painful.

But (and this is totally outing) I do know a man that went on a night out and took a woman home for a one night stand. But that one night stand turned into a relationship and they are still together 16 years later. That's all good but the very first night she heard his name wrong and he did not correct her......and 16 years on he has changed his name legally, got new passports and driving licenses and actually goes by the name she misheard. His mother was suffering alzheimer's and Christmas and Birthdays were a nightmare. She would call him his real name and he would kick off, then she would get confused and think she had the wrong son. It was the worst kept secret ever and to this day she doesn't seem to be any the wiser despite him not changing his name until the 8 year mark.

sobeyondthehills Thu 24-Jan-19 11:27:40

My previous next door neighbour called my son the wrong name, when we first moved in, think DS is Jovan and I call him Jo, she assumed his name was Joseph.

This was fine when he was 18 months, by the time he reached 6, he was getting fairly annoyed by it, we rarely saw her, but it was awkward. Eventually we moved (not because of this, although I did wonder about doing it a few times)

ILoveChristmasLights Thu 24-Jan-19 11:30:42

2306. Did the OP of that baby thread actually admit it was ‘for a laugh’?

SummerGems Thu 24-Jan-19 11:33:23

The unfortunate thing about that bread from yesterday was that when reported HQ said she was a longstanding poster with a regular posting history and no reason to believe that she wasn’t who/what she said she was. Except it then transpired through that thread that she has a history of trolling on mn over the years so it very much shows that you can’t be sure that even longstanding posters are legit.

In terms of lies, a family member when a child told everyone in his class that it was his birthday and he would be having a party on x date at his house. All lies of course, except then on the date in question loads of kids showed up to his house with presents and cards etc expecting a party, and his parents were oblivious to the fact he’d even said anything. shock they were left to explain and apologise to the kids and their parents. grin.

Fairenuff Thu 24-Jan-19 11:33:58

That thread was obviously made up. OP expected everyone to believe that a colleague suddenly acquired a newborn baby but no-one asked anything about it at all. What a twat grin

SummerGems Thu 24-Jan-19 11:34:15

. Did the OP of that baby thread actually admit it was ‘for a laugh’? yes. And that she regularly trolls on mn.

SummerGems Thu 24-Jan-19 11:35:21

Tbh though I find it difficult to see how anyone actually was taken in by that baby thread. Some of the others she admitted to though could have been believeable, not necessarily serious but painting a totally inaccurate picture of who someone is iyswim.

Lovemusic33 Thu 24-Jan-19 11:35:50

I’m carrying a lie, though I’m not sure if it’s a white lie, a big lie or just me withholding information. Is it ok to lie? I think it depends on the lie.

arranbubonicplague Thu 24-Jan-19 11:37:39

These days I bump into him every 2 or 3 years and he always asks after my 3 children, so now I have a fictious 3rd son...I wish now Id just embarrassed him in the first place.

I've hurt my ribs and it's so painful to laugh but that was worth it. Thank goodness he's never asked to see photographs!

MissMisery Thu 24-Jan-19 11:40:50

Barbarian That is brilliant! First lol of the day thank you.
Very sweet and kind too.

grin

PhilipSteak Thu 24-Jan-19 11:46:03

Batbarianmum that is hilarious.smile
It’s the sort of thing I’d do then try to rectify it later, then make a bigger hash of it ..
On train yesterday this lovely young woman wanted to show me a pic of her nephew in the US, who apparently looked the double of my DS, sitting opposite.
I couldn’t see any likeness at all but of course agreed with her enthusiastically. I don’t suppose it will get me into trouble ..but I’d always be more likely to agree than make person feel uncomfortable - and that can have consequences.
I’m sure I’ll think of lots of instances in a sec ..

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: