Talk

Advanced search

To worry I might die here on the toilet?

(57 Posts)
KrispyKremes Wed 23-Jan-19 00:31:38

It happens to me now and again.

I suffer from IBS that strikes in the middle of the night.

Wake up in agony and then have to spend an hour or two in the bathroom.

I think tonight's attack is thanks to a large amount of sweetcorn. Combined with the fact I've eaten crap the last few days.

Trying all the deep breathing etc. It's just so painful and scary. Thankfully my bath is is front of the loo so I can lean forward and rest my arms/head on it.

EdgyMcNervous Wed 23-Jan-19 00:37:30

Didn’t want to leave your post unanswered. So sorry you’re feeling so rubbish. Sounds horrible, particularly in the middle of the night. Is there anyone in the house who you could wake if necessary? Appreciate you probably don’t want company on the loo! But if it gets any worse might be good not to be alone...

SpringForEver Wed 23-Jan-19 00:37:44

Elvis did.

But you will probably be OK.

StressedToTheMaxx Wed 23-Jan-19 00:39:04

I have invested in a small electric heat pad.
It is the most wonderful item to help the cramping pain. It also helps to usher the process along faster.
I hope your pain passes soon and you can get some rest flowers

Trampire Wed 23-Jan-19 00:39:15

You poor thing. Sounds dreadful.

My DF suffered with iBS for over 20 years so I know how it can get.

Do you have a warm blanket and cushions to lie on in the bathroom while you're there?

Outnotdown Wed 23-Jan-19 00:39:21

You poor thingsadflowers Hang in there, you will get through it

e1y1 Wed 23-Jan-19 00:42:02

Poor thing, hang in there you'll get through flowers

Hidingtonothing Wed 23-Jan-19 00:42:25

Oh god this is horribly familiar, poor you OP sad No advice just lots of sympathy, it does genuinely feel like you're going to die doesn't it, horrible <shudders>

Purpleartichoke Wed 23-Jan-19 00:45:48

I’ve had two moments where I feared I would die in the toilet. One was a ruptured ovarian cyst. The other was an IBS flare up. I was in incredible pain and suddenly soaked in sweat. I ripped all my clothes off and hoped I would be ok. Obviously I was. I’m still a bit traumatized by the episode though.

dancinfeet Wed 23-Jan-19 00:58:47

you have my sympathies, it's something I suffered with in my student days (likely stress related). Hope it passes soon and you can get some rest xx

DragginBallsEEEE Wed 23-Jan-19 01:02:53

It's not even funny how terrible IBS pain can be. I have had many occasions where I wondered if I would be needing an ambulance as I honestly thought something more serious was wrong.

Have you seen a gastro Dr for your IBS? I had been suffering for years and had been referred as it was getting worse and on one of the visits I mentioned the middle of the night attacks. He said IBS can strike at any time but as mine were frequently in the middle of the night he wanted to do a test for Bile Acid Malabsorption and bingo! Finally a reason for all the attacks. I'm on meds now and have had very few attacks in the night or even at all!

Try some buscopan for now or colperamin.

DragginBallsEEEE Wed 23-Jan-19 01:05:31

I ripped all my clothes off

Yes to this. The amount of times I seriously thought I would pass out if I didn't strip naked. This has given me the most crazy fear of public toilets and IBS attacks away from home and my mind goes into overdrive when I have had attacks and I've certainly needed to strip and spend an hour or more on the toilet.

Lisabel Wed 23-Jan-19 01:07:30

That sounds dreadful!

I'm guessing you have- but just checking have you tried anti-spasmodics like buscopan (or prescribed alternative) for the spasms and anti-diarrheals?

I have agonising abdominal pains after eating histamine-rich foods (extra mature/mature cheeses, smoked fish, tomatoes, strawberries, milk) and just wondered whether it could be triggered by something similar?

Has a Gastroenterologist ruled out any other possible causes?

Thinking of you and hope you feel much better tomorrow!

Lizzie48 Wed 23-Jan-19 01:17:47

I'm so sorry, OP, that sounds dreadful. sad

I also suffer dreadfully with the bowels (though not as bad as you sound), but I know it can be debilitating. I'm finally being investigated to rule out anything serious. I'm having what's known as a colonoscopy tomorrow. The preparation for it is hideous, but worth it to know what's going on, if anything.

Is it maybe worth going back to your GP?

Hidingtonothing Wed 23-Jan-19 01:18:46

Yes yes to the stripping, I always feel like I can't bear anything on my skin. Weirdly I was exactly the same in labour!

notangelinajolie Wed 23-Jan-19 01:19:52

flowers You poor thing, I know exactly what you are feeling. I have spent many hours like this in my bathroom. I find being sick helps somehow, I have no idea why or how but is seems to distract my body from the pain. Also sleeping in the spare bedroom laying as still and flat as I can with a hot water bottle tucked into the small of the back. Hope it eases off soon.

RavenclawWriter Wed 23-Jan-19 01:20:28

Have you tried peppermint capsules? They do wonders for my DH. I have lots of sympathy for you. Several friends and family members have dreadful ibs. It's miserable.

knittedjest Wed 23-Jan-19 01:24:10

Do you have any coke in the house? If so sip on some slowly. The strong flavor can distract the brain and the acid in it can help with any gas and bloating. Also it gives you something else to focus on so you're not just thinking about the pain.

notangelinajolie Wed 23-Jan-19 01:29:34

Also after many trips to the my GP and more than one referral to Gastro doc I now have a referral to see a professor who is interested in stomach migrane in adults confused. I had no idea this was a thing but if he can help then I will be very grateful. I've been told there is a very long waiting list but I finally feel someone is listening to me. Go back to the docs and don't give up.

Motoko Wed 23-Jan-19 01:42:18

Yes yes to the stripping, I always feel like I can't bear anything on my skin. Weirdly I was exactly the same in labour!

I've had that a few times. The cramps come in waves, like contractions, and feel exactly the same. And I feel hot and sweaty, and have to stick the bin in front of me, for when I vomit. I get my husband to sit in the bathroom with me, in case I pass out and fall off the loo. He's also handy for holding a cold flannel on the back of my neck and mopping my fevered brow.

I think mine's been caused by having radiotherapy on my pelvic area. It can cause late side effects years later. My bowels were fine until then. I've noticed it tends to happen if I've eaten a lot of fibre, and I can't eat peanuts anymore, as they just go straight through me, rather painfully, and it feels like I'm shitting molten lava.

OP I hope you're tucked up, back in bed now. You have my sympathy.

Pasithea Wed 23-Jan-19 01:43:02

I’m lying in hospital after surgery today thinking how the fuck did I get through that. I do have ids as part of my symptoms so big hugs and hope it eases soon. Hot baths. Peppermint tea and peppermint cordial diluted with hot water helps. With a hot water bottle.

Xxxx

Not2BBs Wed 23-Jan-19 01:44:45

You're not alone. I really identify with that 'am I dying' feeling on the loo. I had an attack tonight too as I was going to bed and am awake now because my hot water bottle has gone cold and I am gingerly trying to find a comfortable position in bed for my huge bloated cramping stomach. Buscopan and hot water bottles. Hope it is passing ok for you now & you can get some sleep.

Shambolical1 Wed 23-Jan-19 02:05:43

I spent from just before midnight Sunday to just after 6am Monday on the loo with this, worst attack ever. Usually it's a couple of hours, which is bad enough. Unbelievable pain...

I too get the pouring sweat/kick off the clothes thing, and am then freezing for hours when it's all over.

Awake now as having 'aftershock' belly twinges and wondering if Sunday's attack was 'just' IBS or diverticular disease, this diagnosed just last year following years of worsening attacks and medical investigation.

Wish there was better pain relief available. I have buscopan and mebeverine about the place but they don't cut it really.

MyFriendGoo5 Wed 23-Jan-19 02:08:53

I'm up with gallstonessad

Op. Make sure you take some painkillers, it often doesn't occur to me for digestive pain but it does help.

Aquamarine1029 Wed 23-Jan-19 02:33:19

You poor thing! I suggest you make the effort to really examine your diet to isolate your triggers. This is no way to live.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »