Talk

Advanced search

Would it be absolutely disgusting to...

(410 Posts)
meladeso Tue 22-Jan-19 07:33:11

Put loo brushes in the dishwasher on their own, on hot setting, followed by a hot wash on empty??!!!

LaurieFairyCake Tue 22-Jan-19 07:45:13

I've had my loo brushes 3 years! They cost £15 each (in a sale). There's no way I'd discard plastic like that.

meladeso Tue 22-Jan-19 07:45:39

@ErictheGuineaPig and @MirandaWest so would you just keep the same ones forever and ever?

meladeso Tue 22-Jan-19 07:46:11

@Tattybear16 what do you do in your house?

LaurieFairyCake Tue 22-Jan-19 07:46:30

These are my loo brushes - they're designed to last

KeptTheBeachesShipwreckFree Tue 22-Jan-19 07:47:01

Why would you buy a new one when there's nothing wrong with the one you have already from it being a bit mucky? That's a bit wasteful imo

I don't have a dishwasher so can't answer your question but I swill our bog brushes under the flush in the loo and put hot water and washing up liquid in the little holder thing. That seems to keep them clean enough (they don't have to be sparkling because they are only coaching the loo after all).

KeptTheBeachesShipwreckFree Tue 22-Jan-19 07:47:23

cleaning the loo I meant

Sproutingcorm Tue 22-Jan-19 07:48:24

Urrrgghhhhh! Don't do it op!

Even if DW temps are set to kill all bugs (and I don't think I've seen that guaranteed anywhere in the instruction booklet) why would you knowingly introduce potential e-coli /salmonella and other nefarious things in to a space in which you wash your plates and cutlery?

Why not soak them all overnight in a bucket of dilute bleach or Dettol? Or if you don't want to use chemicals, how about putting them all in a bucket, with clear industrial vinegar or some bicarb, and pour over a couple of kettles of boiling water?

PlumpSyrianHamster Tue 22-Jan-19 07:48:34

What a waste of energy. Why not just soak them in bleach.

ChickenCrimpy Tue 22-Jan-19 07:49:05

What are you doing with the brush that it's so significantly dirty after 6mo? How are you storing the brush, can it dry between uses?

I mean, by all means, knock yourself out with bleach and boiling water. But it's just going to get plonked back in the bog again, right? And you'll be back where you started.

meladeso Tue 22-Jan-19 07:49:25

@Sproutingcorm yes that's sounding like the best option

IlluminatiParty Tue 22-Jan-19 07:49:36

Absolutely not. YABU. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Bucket of boiling water with some bleach is more hygienic.

Sarahlou63 Tue 22-Jan-19 07:50:13

FFS. Put a splash of bleach in you loo. Use the brush to clean the loo and you've got a clean loo and a clean brush.

lynnepot Tue 22-Jan-19 07:51:01

Yeah I'm not comfortable with something going down the loo being put in something that cleans your dishes and utensils.

It's simple really. Bleach down. Comeback five minutes later scrub and flush. By the time the brush enters the loo the bleach has already killed all the germs.

AfterSchoolWorry Tue 22-Jan-19 07:51:12

Jesus Christ. So it's not just an urban legend. 😷

cushioncovers Tue 22-Jan-19 07:51:18

Nope. As someone else has said a bucket, boiling water and some bleach.

BinkyBuntyFintyCunty Tue 22-Jan-19 07:51:26

Yes. It would OP.

Frouby Tue 22-Jan-19 07:52:06

Ditch the brush OP. Haven't had one for 10 years and my loos are sparkly clean.

Just leave bleach on skidders, it works. Then once a week I give them a good bleach and wipe round with some kitchen roll. Then once a month when the bathroom sponge is on it's last legs I use that to give it a really good scrub.

meladeso Tue 22-Jan-19 07:52:12

They're actually 3 years old, I just noticed someone on another thread saying they replaced theirs every 6m which I think is awful.

They're no dirtier than anyone else's I'm sure.
I'm just curious do people keep them forever and accept they're loo brushes and therefore acceptably grim, or does everyone just waste tons of plastic.

Lots of PP coming on all (understandably)horrified at the suggestion but not many actually saying what they do that's better.

ErictheGuineaPig Tue 22-Jan-19 07:52:40

I do almost exactly what kept says. Swill out under the flush and put some bleach in the little pot thingy. I don't understand why you would need them to be 'dishwasher clean'. They do one job and that means they will be full of germs all over again, every time you use them.

meladeso Tue 22-Jan-19 07:53:22

@ErictheGuineaPig yes, that's what I do now. And do you keep those brushes forever??

ErictheGuineaPig Tue 22-Jan-19 07:53:43

Yes I just accept they're grim. They're not used for anything else so it doesn't matter.

Beaverhausen Tue 22-Jan-19 07:54:07

I do not use a toilet brush, a good dose of bleach works wonders.

GobblersKnob Tue 22-Jan-19 07:54:21

Of course you can. People put chopping beards that have had raw chicken on. That doesn't somehow magically contaminate all else.

People are weird about loo brushes (even off Mumsnet). There was an experiment once where people were asked to lick chocolate sauce off of a brand new loo brush that they had watched being unwrapped from the packaging in front of them. Most could not do it and many were gagging.

Loads of people stick sponges and dish brushes into the dishwasher to sanitise them, which are normally vile and insanely germey.

Go for it, and good for you on the plastic waste front.

meladeso Tue 22-Jan-19 07:56:12

@AfterSchoolWorry it almost is, only one person has said they do it

Stardustinmyeyes Tue 22-Jan-19 07:56:26

AfterSchoolWorry

I thought it was an urban legend too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »