Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think a royal road crash makes local council lower limit?!

(15 Posts)
Tinkobell Fri 18-Jan-19 13:20:21

I live on a very busy country Lane. The limit is 40MPH. The Lane has no footpath is single track in places and has a private senior school with 1000 plus pupils and loads of buses going down it. It is also a major short cut to a big London spur road. Every year the road suffers many RTA's.
Our local council will NOT lower the limit to 30MPH despite endless campaigning. AIBU to feel a bit bloody angry that less than 24 hrs after a royal person has a road crash, a council quite sensibly can reduce an upper speed limit to save lives?

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Fri 18-Jan-19 13:25:52

I think YABU. Wasn’t this just coincidence in that the crash happened the day before the speed limit was due to be reduced? It was planned a while ago.

ilovesooty Fri 18-Jan-19 13:26:58

Apparently a meeting was already scheduled for today.

LovingLola Fri 18-Jan-19 13:32:20

www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-norfolk-46912556

If you read this you will see that a meeting of Norfolk Council had already proposed measures to reduce the speed limit and install speed cameras. The meeting today was to make a decision about those measures.

Fantababy Fri 18-Jan-19 13:33:26

So you've ended up with the outcome you want? Surely that's a good thing, regardless of the reasoning?

Celebelly Fri 18-Jan-19 13:33:27

Apparently the meeting had been due this morning anyway and this was on the agenda due to the number of accidents on that stretch. I suspect the crash yesterday made approving it a foregone conclusion, though!

MoreCheeseDear Fri 18-Jan-19 13:34:06

YABVU. Meeting already scheduled. It's very dangerous along there.

Tinkobell Fri 18-Jan-19 13:57:09

Look. Any lives or injury prevented by reducing a speed limit is what we want. I just wonder by this, how many non-royal people have to get hurt before councils sit up and listen!!!?

GreenFingersWouldBeHandy Fri 18-Jan-19 14:22:33

It's a total coincidence - the meeting was already scheduled about speed limit reduction. Nothing to do with Prince Phillip.

tillytrotter1 Fri 18-Jan-19 20:00:40

The speed and traffic on that particular road has been under discussion for years, it's treated like a race track at times.

BeOurGuest Fri 18-Jan-19 20:02:24

I felt the same as you OP but, as others have said, when I realised the meeting had already been scheduled I didn’t think anything more of it.

tillytrotter1 Fri 18-Jan-19 20:04:54

I just wonder by this, how many non-royal people have to get hurt before councils sit up and listen!!!?

Have you not bothered to read the replies or are you so desperate to score points? There is a coincidence regarding the accident and the meeting, go and check the local council's records, maybe that will get you off your soap-box.

Bluelady Fri 18-Jan-19 20:10:38

For the love of God, stop making yourself look ridiculous, OP. The Norfolk change has been planned for months.

StripyHorse Fri 18-Jan-19 22:43:30

The meeting was already planned.

I must admit, I did think it would be a very very brave (or stupid) move if they hadn't approved the change today. The tabloids would have had a field day!!

Please don't get cross that this has been approved- it is still one road made safer.

EdithWeston Fri 18-Jan-19 22:56:22

The meeting was already planned, as that stretch of road is notorious - two fatal crashes since 2015, plus too many others causing injury.

(If enough people post the real reason, perhaps the penny will drop).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: