Talk

Advanced search

Old wives tales!

(97 Posts)
Alfiesmom74 Fri 18-Jan-19 09:16:22

Yesterday was the first time I’ve ever gone out with damp hair after always thinking that if you go out in the cold with wet hair you’ll catch the flu/pneumonia. What old wives tales have you believed in?

rustytissues Sun 20-Jan-19 00:16:43

@EwItsAHooman vinegar does work on sunburn, tried and tested! 😂

BunsOfAnarchy Sun 20-Jan-19 00:03:09

Ooh! Just remembered!
*dont walk over or jump over someones legs, youll stunt their growth

BunsOfAnarchy Sun 20-Jan-19 00:01:09

FML im Indian and we have more old wives tales than bloody old wives!

*dont wash your hair on a thursday (?)
*Bad luck to throw salt
*Dont sweep the floors at night (wtf)
*When youre talking about someone and they suddenly appear/suddenly call u (speak of the devil kind of moment) that person will have a long life.
*Dont leave the house at quarter to.
*Dont leave the house if u sneeze (wait about 2-3 mins post sneeze to leave)
*If u cry when peeling onions,means your MIL will adore u (true for me, my MIL was a diamond)
*if your babies hair grows with a circular pattern at the back of their head, your next child will be a boy

Ill have to remember a few more and add to the list later grin

DareDevil223 Sat 19-Jan-19 23:45:22

When I was at school in the dark ages 1980s you couldn't sit on a cold wall OR a hot radiator without being told that it would give you piles. grin

elephantoverthehill Sat 19-Jan-19 23:42:43

I always knew it as 'never kiss on the stairs'.

ivykaty44 Sat 19-Jan-19 23:34:21

* heard a variation on this one, vinegar rubbed into sunburn to take the sting out.*

It works, due to the vinegar being acidic and helping return the skin to the correct ph it soothes greatly

Frankthebank Sat 19-Jan-19 23:22:27

A recent one. My mother reckons the heated seats in my car give you a kidney infection. As will sitting on a cold step. She's obsessed with kidney infections. Also you could never go outside or to bed without bone-dry hair or you would surely be struck down with double pneumonia.

Firesuit Sat 19-Jan-19 23:21:16

Eating cheese before bed can cause nightmares.

I'm not sure about nightmares, but it causes disturbed sleep and unusual dream patterns for me. (So does wine.)

Frankthebank Sat 19-Jan-19 23:19:17

How do people know the magpie is male?

RubiksQueen Sat 19-Jan-19 23:16:11

My mum says the egg thing and this thread reminded me of it and I absolutely howled laughing. It's one of those things I'd never have remembered if someone hadn't reminded me.

Biggerknickersagain Sat 19-Jan-19 23:12:03

I salute a single magpie, and don't cross on the stairs, I think they were just ingrained as a child tbh and something I do without thinking.
Interesting about the renaming of a boat, it's also considered unlucky to change a horses name, not sure if that's for the owner or the horse though 🤔

MulticolourMophead Sat 19-Jan-19 22:46:06

And my Mum used to turn the telly off if we had a thunderstorm-I suppose it was in case the aerial got struck by lightning and conducted it into the house.

You can ground the aerial to reduce the risk. Not sure I'm physically up for doing this, though.

Clawdy Sat 19-Jan-19 20:27:32

Apparently dandelion leaves are diuretic. And the French nickname for dandelions is pis -en -lit. Which translates as wet the bed!

MulticolourMophead Sat 19-Jan-19 19:32:46

I don't wet the bed and I've picked loads of dandelions. In fact isn't dandelions root used in coffee substitutes?

labazsisgoingmad Sat 19-Jan-19 18:34:52

on new years eve a dark haired man must bring a piece of coal in handy really in our house dad had dark hair!

labazsisgoingmad Sat 19-Jan-19 18:28:45

if you pick dandelions it means you will wet the bed still very wary of the yellow things

labazsisgoingmad Sat 19-Jan-19 18:27:41

in our family if you salute a magpie you say 'good morning mr magpie hows your wife?'

sueelleker Sat 19-Jan-19 18:17:24

Sitting on radiators (old school type) will give you piles.
And my Mum used to turn the telly off if we had a thunderstorm-I suppose it was in case the aerial got struck by lightning and conducted it into the house.

Moanger Sat 19-Jan-19 14:36:11

I always used to get complained at by a friend for passing salt the wrong way down the table. I still don’t know where that came from.

In the woods close to where my Nan used to live, there was some white flowers (cow parsley) and everyone called them mother-die. If you were to pick them and take them home to your mum she would die. I never tried it out!

Another one with heartburn and kids with lots of hair.

BagofTeeth Sat 19-Jan-19 14:28:38

"Shoes on the bed, never get wed"

I figured since I'm married now it's ok if I want to put new shoes on my bed before they get put away.

KissingInTheRain Sat 19-Jan-19 14:18:41

Change the name but not the letter
Marry for worse and not for better

Marshmallow91 Sat 19-Jan-19 14:14:17

It's bad luck to have a pram in the house before baby is born - which is why my mum is currently holding mines hostage until my little girl makes her appearance in a couple weeks grin

either salute or address a lone magpie - I do this every time, normally "hello Mr Magpie", but in my defence I also say hello to pigeons, crows, snails; pretty much everything... My partner is used to it now blush

MulticolourMophead Sat 19-Jan-19 13:59:47

Heartburn means your baby will have lots of hair.

I had the most awful heartburn both times. Both of my DC came out with hardly any hair grin

SheSnapsThenSheFarts Sat 19-Jan-19 12:53:58

I had to put up with not having a bath or washing my hair when I had my period, also that only married women could use tampons. Even at 12 I knew this to be bullshit and to be ignored. So I did, much to my mothers annoyance....

Judashascomeintosomemoney Sat 19-Jan-19 10:57:26

Spilling salt brings bad luck
Unless you then throw some over your shoulder. Except I can’t remember which one, so......

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »