Talk

Advanced search

Old wives tales!

(97 Posts)
Alfiesmom74 Fri 18-Jan-19 09:16:22

Yesterday was the first time I’ve ever gone out with damp hair after always thinking that if you go out in the cold with wet hair you’ll catch the flu/pneumonia. What old wives tales have you believed in?

Eliza9917 Fri 18-Jan-19 11:39:57

Don't put new shoes on the table
Walking under a ladder (though I think that one is common sense)
Rubbing a gold wedding ring on a sty on the eye to get rid of it
Don't open an umbrella indoors
Swinging a wedding ring over a baby bump to tell the sex
Pull out a grey hair and two will grow in its place
Spilling salt brings bad luck - chuck the spilled salt over your left shoulder
Breaking a mirror brings 7 years bad luck
Bad luck comes in threes

All of these plus walking over 3 drains is bad luck, as is walking under a street sign or scaffolding that straddles the pavement. I also say 'Good day Mr Magpie, how's your family?' whenever I see one on its own.

Eliza9917 Fri 18-Jan-19 11:40:41

I always toast a new house when I move in too.

Tonightstheteriyakichicken Fri 18-Jan-19 11:44:23

Saluting magpies reminds me that a colleague used to say when she saw a lone magpie,
"Hello Mr Magpie, where's your mate?"
First time I rattled that off in front of then DP he thought I'd gone mad.

OohToBeAah Fri 18-Jan-19 12:27:18

When I was a child, my wonderful granny told me that if I didn't eat my crusts then I wouldn't get curly hair.

In my 3 year old wisdom, I didn't want curly hair. I liked my messy, but sort of straight hair. So I didn't eat my crusts.

I'm 28 years old, and I have a huge, thick mop of curly hair 🙄

And I still don't eat my crusts.

HebeMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 18-Jan-19 12:31:41

@bakebakebake It's nigh on impossible NOT to cross our cat on the stairs. The bastard trips you up by weaving between your legs as you walk! In fact, it clearly IS bad luck because I've almost broken my neck several times as a direct result!

My nan used to turn mirrors to face the wall during a thunderstorm. No idea why. Do mirrors conduct electricity?

Winterfellwonderland Fri 18-Jan-19 12:35:44

Shameless place mark

Frlrlrubert Fri 18-Jan-19 12:58:31

I don't do superstitions, so most make me 🙄

I'd never heard the 'never gift something sharp' one until recently.

I have a friend who's really weird about stepping on cracks, and turns everything electrical off at the first sign of thunder.

The ones around having baby things in the house before the birth seem particularly cruel to me. As if the presence of a pushchair could damage your unborn child!

Ladders seems sensible though, and saluting magpies is cute.

Whoopsies Fri 18-Jan-19 12:59:56

@Champoopapi My uncle still has a scar on his eyebrow from where my dad put butter on a bump when they were kids....He used a bread knife to apply it!!!

NoonAim Fri 18-Jan-19 13:11:56

I've never heard of saluting magpies!

My Dgran used to say that dropping a knife meant a visit from a man, a fork meant a woman and a spoon a fool confused

Ifangyow Fri 18-Jan-19 13:24:20

Don't reach up when pregnant, you will give the baby a flat back confused
Said to me by my shocked grandmother when she saw me pegging the laundry out when I was having my first.
Also, never get your feet wet when having your period ( to this day I don't know what bad luck will come of that )
Apparently it's bad luck to fall UP the stairs.....well in my bloody experience it's worse luck to fall DOWN them!

Alanamackree Fri 18-Jan-19 13:25:25

A robin coming into the house is a warning of impending death.

If you’re making a funny face the wind could change and you’d be stuck like that.

If you give a knife as a gift you sever the relationship (hence the exchange of a penny so you’ve paid for it)

A gift of pearls means you’ll shed a tear for every pearl.

Never look at the new moon through glass

When planting seeds -one for the worm, one for the crow, one for God and one to grow.

Alanamackree Fri 18-Jan-19 13:26:04

Oh and it’s lucky to get pooed on by a bird. Right.

MacarenaFerreiro Fri 18-Jan-19 13:27:06

Sitting on a cold wall gives you piles.

rosie39forever Fri 18-Jan-19 13:32:28

Too much vinegar will dry your blood up🤣

QuestionableMouse Fri 18-Jan-19 13:35:20

Mirrors used to be made from metal so I guess they could have theoretically attracted lightening.

No shoes on the table because it's bad luck.
Killing spiders is bad luck (my theory is this come from the fact that clean spiders webs can be used to help wounds clot. No spiders, no webs and you'd be stuck in an emergency)
If you don't crush egg shells before you put them in the bin, the witches will attack sailors at sea.

Ifangyow Fri 18-Jan-19 13:39:41

Another one of my grandmother's......drinking a hot drink too quickly will make your blood boil 😂
The only time my blood is boiling with steam coming out of my ears as I gulp my coffee is when i receive the new council tax bill.

AnyoldAnna Fri 18-Jan-19 13:40:14

Two spoons - two husbands. I think that’s right. I always salute a magpie.

I blame my DF he is very superstitious!

myidentitymycrisis Fri 18-Jan-19 13:51:20

I think the wet hair = cold and eating before swimming = cramp are old wives tales.

I think things like walking under ladders = bad luck, and shoes on the table are superstitions.

I used to believe the first two by the way.

MulticolourMophead Fri 18-Jan-19 13:56:32

DM also used to say "new house, new baby". I think she was desperate for a DGC when we moved house, but it was another 4 years before we obliged!

I've moved house in the last year. I'm 50, no baby here grin

SpoonBlender Fri 18-Jan-19 14:05:08

Cold noses do encourage cold viruses - if you inhale someone else's, the little bastards are more likely to survive and multiply in cooler rather than warmer noses.

Wet hair definitely doesn't, unless it chills you enough to cool your nose down. Which it might on a cold day I guess?

scienceline.org/2015/01/cold-viruses-thrive-in-cold-noses/

Not going under a ladder is simple common sense, you might get things dropped on you.

Stroller15 Fri 18-Jan-19 14:05:27

Oh we had all of these! And eating pumpkin will give you curly hair. Eating watermelon seeds will have one grow in your tummy. Right hand itches you're going to give money, left hand lose money (or other way round, I never remember!) My DG also said ladies that sat on kitchen counters didn't get married.

KittensAndCake Fri 18-Jan-19 14:06:32

If you don't crush egg shells before you put them in the bin, the witches will attack sailors at sea.

🤣 How random

Bluntness100 Fri 18-Jan-19 14:11:11

I think thr no shoes on the tables goes back to thr plague or something, it was about germs and subsequent risk as people ate at the table.

I saw someone salute a magpie a few weeks ago for the first time. I was totally bemused. I looked at rhe magpie and at the person and thought did he just salute that magpie 🤣

gentlyscented Fri 18-Jan-19 14:13:00

Can't wash your hair while your on your period. So I walked around for a week with greasy hair 😩

Birdsgottafly Fri 18-Jan-19 14:16:19

Before we laugh at old Wives, just remember that they were telling the doctors that their babies could see, when the doctors decided that human babies were born blind.

They also got the on-demand feeding right and more Women died at the hands of early doctors than they did when a local experienced Woman oversaw a Birth.

There's loads others that I could list.

But, yes they were right about being cold, helped you get a cold. Less relevent today, if you live in a modern house etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »