Talk

Advanced search

To HATE made up new words

(161 Posts)
mommymooo Thu 17-Jan-19 11:20:18

For example the first choice holiday advice go MAHOOSIVE with the family VAYCAYS. BIG KAHOONAHS ON THE BEACH.
oh my god it makes my skin just crawl. Arrgghhh

hackmum Fri 18-Jan-19 16:24:11

permanently - "thinking" can be a noun. It's a gerund, which is a word that's formed from a verb but acts as a noun. So you could refer to "the eating of the cake" or "the singing of the hymn" or "the fighting of the cats". You get the gist.

In the examples you cite, "We need to flip their THINKING around" seems fine, but "We're going to apply some THINKING to that" would probably work better if it was "thought".

SushiMonster Fri 18-Jan-19 16:19:44

Famalam needs to seriously fuck off.

Also "famjam" as in "having such a nice christmas FamJam" ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

snowybird1 Fri 18-Jan-19 16:18:27

'Chillax' sad

DontCallMeCharlotte Fri 18-Jan-19 14:18:03

On the subject of "literally", I remember one of my sixth form tutors (back in the early 80s) begging us not to litter our A'Level exam answers with "basically" grin

Breakawaygirl Fri 18-Jan-19 13:34:58

* word, damn autocorrect.

Breakawaygirl Fri 18-Jan-19 13:34:35

I just hate any weird that becomes overused and forms part of the zeitgeist. Privilege is a fine word, but it's overuse drives me insane. There was a time when everyone I knew said 'literally.' 'Woke' is another modern buzzword. I really just hate when everyone uses the same word or uses it in the wrong context.

AlrightBabby Fri 18-Jan-19 13:23:06

Argh!!! Why does my bold never work on the phone app?!

AlrightBabby Fri 18-Jan-19 13:22:07

t's my bastarding choice to invent words which suit me. Bastarding is a favourite of mine. Look at this bastarding weather. It's bastarding cold. Bastarding kids. I'm bastarding furious. Ahh. Bastarding.

I like swineing for the same reason grin

DarkDarkNight Fri 18-Jan-19 12:29:41

Someone beat me to Holibobs, I can’t bear it.

Preggers or preggo for pregnant. I don’t like up-the-duff but my ultimate hate is up-duffed. It’s ugly and awkward.

Not a made up word as such but I hate on Instagram or Facebook where people use the phrase my little/littlest loves: ‘lovely walk with my littlest loves today’ envy turns my stomach.

delboysskinandblister Fri 18-Jan-19 12:22:50

passed (as in died) passed suggests they walked straight by you into another dimension

just say 'died'

permanentlyexhaustedpigeon Fri 18-Jan-19 12:18:58

The latest management speak bollocks (manspollox?) - "THINKING" as a noun.

"We're going to apply some THINKING to that"
"We need to flip their THINKING around"
"We've been able to really get under the skin of their THINKING"..

- all, to my mind, meaning "nobody has done a bloody thing and we don't intend to either". And isn't the noun supposed to be Thought, anyway?

I find the 'craycray' and 'vaycay' business too Valley Girl for my liking, but since I spent a chunk of the 90s in a litany of barely-comprehensible Mancunian slang, I don't feel I can throw stones...

YesSheCan Fri 18-Jan-19 12:14:18

Holibobs

Sweetpea55 Fri 18-Jan-19 11:33:35

Learning some new words here,,iv never heard of 'spenny'

I hate 'mindset,,' skillset.' '.gobsmacked.'.and' reaching out to you',,,urgh,,,,,makes my bum cheeks itch

doritad Fri 18-Jan-19 10:56:07

Wallah which I presume means voilà

Cardiffclare88 Fri 18-Jan-19 10:48:14

Vajayjay!

HowlsMovingBungalow Fri 18-Jan-19 10:32:01

Staycation? Erm isn't that the old fashioned 'Day/s out'.

'Woke' winds me up too.

DontCallMeCharlotte Fri 18-Jan-19 10:19:06

And the habit that (usually) the tabloids have of linking celebrity names ie Brangelina or HMegz irritates me beyond belief.

Surely it should be HaMegs. Or as we call it, Brunch.

DontCallMeCharlotte Fri 18-Jan-19 10:15:35

I hate "webinar". Makes me shudder. I was like this at first, it was a real rage word for me but, now I am involved with at least one a week, I'm kind of desensitized to it.

Mahoosive makes me twitch - probably because of the two people I know who use it on FB quite a lot.

I'm still fighting a battle of attrition with "invite" as a noun instead of "invitation".

I quite like "snaccident" though grin

caperplips Fri 18-Jan-19 10:11:51

Unfortunately I know someone who regularly updates facebook about her:

famalam
hollibobs
bubba
mumma
doggos

Set my teeth on edge!

mommymooo Fri 18-Jan-19 10:09:23

@LidoDeck if you don't like them. Why come on here to moan. An HAVE to ENDURE such horror

Horsewithnomane Fri 18-Jan-19 10:05:43

How many more of these same old "What words do we hate? Let's find something new to hate and moan about!!" threads do we have to endure??

I'm new here and this is the first one I've seen. So I'm enjoying it. But more importantly, who is forcing you to "endure" this thread...?

I'd leave them - immediately!

Horsewithnomane Fri 18-Jan-19 10:01:19

I hate when "gender" is used when what is meant is "sex".

And yeah, "cis" is a bugger.

ohhelpohnoitsa Fri 18-Jan-19 09:59:19

Similar grammatical hate (complete loathing) here, where women refer to designer handbags as 'she' or 'her' e.g. taking her out for dinner, isn't she a beauty. Grown women, I HATE it.

LidoDeck Fri 18-Jan-19 09:55:19

How many more of these same old "What words do we hate? Let's find something new to hate and moan about!!" threads do we have to endure??

mommymooo Fri 18-Jan-19 09:43:38

Oh got there's a few more I've realised I hate too.
Furbaby no you idiot it's a dog/cat
Soz no it's sorry.
Hun. Blood boiling.
My bad. Again it's sorry.

Loving this thread. There is so many that make my blood pressure rise.

I know and understand that language changes and evolves, but there can still be certain phases and new slang that grinds you up the wrong way.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »