Talk

Advanced search

To HATE made up new words

(161 Posts)
mommymooo Thu 17-Jan-19 11:20:18

For example the first choice holiday advice go MAHOOSIVE with the family VAYCAYS. BIG KAHOONAHS ON THE BEACH.
oh my god it makes my skin just crawl. Arrgghhh

MinesaPinot Fri 18-Jan-19 09:19:38

My mum (who's 82) always says something is 'too dear' when she means it's expensive, and has done ever since I can remember.

I loathe the fact that everything now seems to be 'cute' - when did that happen???

And the habit that (usually) the tabloids have of linking celebrity names ie Brangelina or HMegz irritates me beyond belief.

ILiveInSalemsLot Fri 18-Jan-19 07:13:46

I don’t mind most of these words. I can deal with the likes of staycation and coworkers because I can see the meaning there.
Wtf are stupid words like famalam and holibobs meant for? As for nom nom nom, yuk. If you want people to imagine you as a pig at a trough, go ahead.

Sillybilly1234 Fri 18-Jan-19 06:48:44

Furbaby. Aaagggghhhh.

Love dogs but hate hate hate this word.

PickledChutney Fri 18-Jan-19 06:15:52

Woke!

DarienGap Fri 18-Jan-19 01:50:40

I like snaccident. It’s the first time I’ve heard it.

BetsyBigNose Fri 18-Jan-19 01:38:43

Using the word super in front of every other bloody word;

It was super snowy today!

That curry was super spicy!

This thread is making me super itchy... although also super amused!

Saying that you 'ship' something or someone. I think it means to worship, envy or aspire to have/be like something or someone. I've seen or heard it in these contexts:

You ship that guy from Hollyoaks, don't you?!

I totally ship Harry and Meghan's relationship!

Anyone else ship Kim K's new purse? (That's another one: purse instead of handbag...)

I realise I've totally missed the point of the thread being new, made up words and have instead gone for words where their meaning is being entirely changed, soz huns! envy (not envy: vomit)

We do have some made up words/phrases we only use at home, just me, DH and the DCs, most of which have come from the DC when they were tiny and seemed sweet or funny at the time and have just stuck:

Toe houses = Socks

Eb-lows = Elbows

'William-Bradleys' = Arm pits (Brad Pitt's full name is William Bradley Pitt)

Slatterna Fri 18-Jan-19 01:01:46

I hate 'gorjus'. "Your gorjus hun". Or 'gawjus' shudder

'Bants'. Ick.

jobbyjobson Fri 18-Jan-19 00:33:48

I hate the new way of saying something's been released ie Adele's new single has just dropped 😡😡

Cafeaulait27 Fri 18-Jan-19 00:33:07

Oh and when actual grown ups say/type ‘brought’ when they mean bought.

And ‘preform’ instead of perform.

I realise I’m totally missing the point of this thread.

birdsandroses Fri 18-Jan-19 00:26:09

A journalist yesterday described Westminister thus - ‘The world’s most densely betwatted space at the best of times’ loved the made up word betwatted here.

Cafeaulait27 Fri 18-Jan-19 00:22:54

I really hate that people are saying ‘reach out’ instead of just ‘contact’ now. It makes me feel sick

I know it’s not the same thing but I had to ‘reach out’ and say it.

Lovingbenidorm Fri 18-Jan-19 00:21:42

SNACCIDENT
(noun)
A regrettable incident involving one’s eating of a family sized bar of chocolate entirely by mistake

JustOneShadeOfGrey Fri 18-Jan-19 00:18:05

“Off of” instead of “from” or simply “off”.

Using “yeah” to finish a sentence, eg “it was like, yeah” - it’s being used as a silence filler, it makes no sense!

And why is everyone now using “coworkers” now? They’re colleagues!

Pronounciations are my current bug bear though. Eg “conTRIBute” is now “CONtribute”. Lord Sugar started that one, it’s overused on the Apprentice.

PS in our little corner of the UK “roasted” means to be told off!

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll Thu 17-Jan-19 23:52:49

Bronies - both the word and the phenomenon.

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll Thu 17-Jan-19 23:51:16

"I'm really OCD about it".

OCD is a condition from which some people nowhere near as many as flippantly claim it suffer from - it is NOT an adjective.

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll Thu 17-Jan-19 23:44:56

Crimbo
Boo (I'm not even sure if this means boyfriend or just close friend)
Reem
Gurls/Grrrls
Boyf

Hearing these and many others quite literally makes my head explode into a Vesuvian fireball grin

As for the portmanteau words, does anybody else remember the Nissan (I think) campaign where they tried to coin new words to describe how versatile their new cars were supposed to be? I can't remember any actual examples, but it was rubbish things like <whispered> "Electric....Technology.... Elecnology", "Power....and....Economy....Powonomy".
All I can really recall of them is Richard Hammond on old Top Gear concluding that the ads were 'Shiny and Bright' grin

Cattenberg Thu 17-Jan-19 23:40:26

I can’t stand cringe being used as an adjective eg. “it was so cringe”. Cringeworthy or cringey are fine, though.

I thought that pronouncing Brexit as “Breggzit” or exactly as “eggzackly” was something that people with RP accents did. I think some dictionaries use this pronunciation in their pronunciation guide. It sounds weird to me, though.

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll Thu 17-Jan-19 23:22:21

Yes, staycation is one that is definitely not very popular with me!

I hate it too. It's usually used condescendingly or pityingly of British people who go elsewhere in the UK on holiday; whereas, to me, it suggests having a break from work or school - maybe remaining at home or going on trips around our local area - but not leaving your home overnight.

If I am travelling and residing elsewhere for my holiday, why am I any more 'staying' than if I were to cross an international border for my time away?

BananasAreTheSourceOfEvil Thu 17-Jan-19 22:30:25

Bromance.

However, feel free to watch this ‘scrubs’ clip entitled ‘guy love’. It’s the song that plays every time I hear the term ‘bromance’.

It’s guy love, between two guys...
youtu.be/lL4L4Uv5rf0

Thank me later.

TrendyNorthLondonTeen Thu 17-Jan-19 22:25:52

"People who say 'garidge' instead of 'gararj'"

Gararj??

HarryTheSteppenwolf Thu 17-Jan-19 22:24:29

@TornFromTheInside - That one bugs me, too. So does some people's habit of mixing up the words guarantee and warranty and saying "warrantee".

TwirlyWitch Thu 17-Jan-19 22:24:03

“Gets me right in the feels”...That really winds me up! angry

TornFromTheInside Thu 17-Jan-19 22:12:48

Congratulations

Because more and more people pronounce it as 'congradulations' and it irks me.

Aeroflotgirl Thu 17-Jan-19 22:01:04

Nom noms and boil my piss. Yuck just yuck.

KissingInTheRain Thu 17-Jan-19 21:59:54

The problem with a lot of these words isn’t that they’re new or contrived or ugly, but that they’re vogue words.

Gaslighting is fine as far as it goes but it gets thrown around - because it’s in vogue - to describe all sorts of situations that range from true attempts at manipulating another’s perception to trivial everyday disagreements. This happens a lot with medical - particularly psychiatric - terms like narcissist.

In the end they just obscure meaning and clarity of expression rather than enhance them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »