Talk

Advanced search

To be sceptical, house swap

(172 Posts)
Continue1 Thu 17-Jan-19 07:01:31

I've got the chance of swapping my 2 bedroom with a 3 bedroom but the lady's house failed inspection ☹ she's got a list of stuff that needs doing, and has pretty much asked for my help as she doesn't know what to do. 5 internal doors need to be replaced and they have to be the HA doors, they are £68 a door 😩 toilet seats need replaced, actual brand ones. £26 a seat! She's basically said I can have the house but I need to help her. I have 3 children under 5, on UC. I could never afford this! Plus what if I do help and she swaps with somebody else? Or pulls out! I'm so torn☹

ExFury Thu 17-Jan-19 07:04:01

Speak to your housing officer

IceRebel Thu 17-Jan-19 07:04:10

If she wants to swap, then she needs to sort out the reasons why it failed the inspection. It's not for you to step in and sort her problems. If she doesn't sort them then she can't swap.

Thishatisnotmine Thu 17-Jan-19 07:05:04

Doesn't the housing association have to cover this?

Holidayshopping Thu 17-Jan-19 07:09:55

I’d be worried that you pay for it all and then she decides to just stay!

Continue1 Thu 17-Jan-19 07:10:15

I don't want to involve the HA, as she's tried 3 times to swap before coming to me and each time these people have contacted the HA to say "I don't care about damages, will take the house as it is" and the HA just say no, we won't allow that 😒

Redken24 Thu 17-Jan-19 07:10:20

Sorry but that isn't on you. Even if she moved she would be billed by the HA

Boomboomboomboom Thu 17-Jan-19 07:10:35

Have you actually seen the property yourself? I would be worried about the general state of it if she has that much to do.
Does she have the same landlord (council or housing association) as you? You may be able to persuade them to let you swap if you promise to do all the work required within a short space of time after moving in.
Unless you can get her to sign a contract which clearly states that in consideration of you doing/paying for work in the property she will mutually exchange, a promise to exchange wouldn't be enforceable. If you could agree a contract with her, then you could enforce it in court with an action for an injunction (specific performance) but that would cost money you may not have.
I wouldn't spend anything unless I were certain I would be exchanging and I would start with her landlord first to see if they would let you do the work once you've moved in.

Continue1 Thu 17-Jan-19 07:10:54

No she will not stay put, she wants out the house badly as it's just her.
I don't think HA will cover it as it's damages inside the house

Continue1 Thu 17-Jan-19 07:12:03

We do have the same HA but as above I don't want to involve them.
She won't fork out for it herself and that's the bit that makes me wary!

IceRebel Thu 17-Jan-19 07:12:25

No she will not stay put, she wants out the house badly as it's just her.

Of course she will say put, she's had 3 interested parties and is still in the house. She can tell you whatever she likes, but her actions speak much louder here.

Continue1 Thu 17-Jan-19 07:13:56

Yes I've seen the house, the holes are on the inside of the doors and just the toilet seats to replace.
There is paint on the skirting board which when the HA inspected her house, says needs replaced shock but she's got white spirit and taken it off. She's completely packed, ready to go except these bits that need done

longwayoff Thu 17-Jan-19 07:15:31

Have nothing more to do with this. The HA wont allow a swap to a house in such poor condition. Look elsewhere.

Drogosnextwife Thu 17-Jan-19 07:15:34

Could you write up a contract to say that if you do help her out then she will definitely swap the house with you? Can't really see why it's your job to help her out.

Continue1 Thu 17-Jan-19 07:16:19

I was thinking of buying the doors and then going to the HA and saying that I have the doors here, will get them fitted upon entry, surely they will understand that? 😩

Continue1 Thu 17-Jan-19 07:17:15

Yes they will allow her to move, just these problems need sorting first. It's not as easy as look elsewhere I've been waiting 11 months for a house swap ☹

Continue1 Thu 17-Jan-19 07:18:37

Tbh I think she's just struggling, she doesn't Google much, don't think she can afford to do it herself plus then pay for removal of old doors and stuff? I'm trying to see the good side of her and not that she's taking me for a ride😩

ElspethFlashman Thu 17-Jan-19 07:20:15

You'd be a fool to do this. This has disaster written all over it.

HariboLecter Thu 17-Jan-19 07:22:47

I'm assuming she's caused the damage, so it should be her responsibility to repair it.
Quite a good deal for her if you agree to take it as is or pay for the repairs.
I know you say you don't want to involve HA but you need to for your own sake imho.

MRex Thu 17-Jan-19 07:23:19

Have you really researched this house to be sure you want it? You need to get past your reluctance to ask the HA about it. You can offer to give them the money to "hold" for the doors and toilet seats as their security that it will happen. It's just a few items though, so it seems mire likely that there are other reasons why they don't want her to move, perhaps she's a problem tenant in other ways.

Continue1 Thu 17-Jan-19 07:25:47

Yes I've researched it, I've also got the list from the HA what needs repaired, It's an actual document from the HA so I know it's real😩
I really don't want to ask the HA as like I said, they've turned people down before and said they won't allow somebody to move in without the repairs been done first

Continue1 Thu 17-Jan-19 07:27:04

It's more because the HA don't want to agree to a house swap and then somebody moves in, complains about the doors and expects them done for free.
Would happily pay for them and the bloody toilet seats if I knew it was going to be mine

Foslady Thu 17-Jan-19 07:27:15

As it’s a swap the HA are under no obligation do the repairs, it’s a swap, not a new let (ie your contract will not be a ‘start from zero’ one). If you decide to go through with this you should get the HA on board to ensure that if you say ‘I’ll pay’ and say you will give the money on the day to the HA to do the work prior to any moving it is purely on the condition that the move goes ahead.(although I do think it’s a cheek of the other woman - she needs to do repairs and won’t pay and then moves to a house cheaper to react and run, leaving you with higher day to day bills and the repairs!).

Frouby Thu 17-Jan-19 07:30:03

I would definetly speak to the Ha again. Explain that you are happy to donthe work as soon as soon as you have the keys and will order the doors and toilet seata from them, but the existing tenant won't do it as she can't afford it.

If she left the property it would be in the same state so it's rather shortsighted ofnthe HA to not try and help. Especially when you have a single person in a 3 bed and a family of 4 in a 2 bed.

I presume the lady in the 3 bed is on benefits and subject to bedroom tax which is why she can't afford to repair the property. Have you seen the property yourself? Other than the doors is it in a good state of repair?

Continue1 Thu 17-Jan-19 07:35:50

I can fit the door myself so I don't even need the HA to do anything, but they won't entertain the idea of the swap going forward without it done.
Yes I've seen the house, multiple times. Like I said there is paint on the skirting and upon inspection the HA claimed it would need to be completely removedhmm but she got some stuff and cleaned it off.
It was her ex that done the holes he left her about 4 years ago so no chance of him helping.
Yes she's on benefits, but so am I so it's not quite fair to put this on me. As it is, one of my doors need replaced before I'd be able to swap but it's about 40 quid cheaper!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: