Talk

Advanced search

to be completely out of touch with this thing called skype??

(15 Posts)
nannytania Sat 30-Jun-07 10:12:48

I'm so clueless - although apparently I could save a fortune on international calls? Anyone else completely clueless!! It all sounds very technical!

Carmenere Sat 30-Jun-07 10:13:39

It is easy and saves me a fortune as I live in the uk and talk to my family on Skype.

nannytania Sat 30-Jun-07 10:17:09

So I just plug in a phone and top up credit online and then can make calls to landlines in Australia?

Carmenere Sat 30-Jun-07 10:18:27

Yes or you can simply speak to your mates via the pc for totally free.

nannytania Sat 30-Jun-07 10:20:03

Right then well I be off to buy one of these phone things! It has to be compatible I am assuming?

Carmenere Sat 30-Jun-07 10:24:24

I wouldn't bother initially, get the hang of using the pc facility first, presuming that your family/friends in oz have broadband? If they do you can very easily use the headfones

calordan Sat 30-Jun-07 10:35:56

first things first, download skype and when u have finished it will get u to do a test call to see if the microphone in your pc is working, if it works youdont need the phone, mine doesnt work so i use a headset, after that u can get a webcam and talk face to face

DoubleBluff Sat 30-Jun-07 10:39:40

Oh Lord, you can phone Australia?
I need to get withit!!

moondog Sat 30-Jun-07 10:41:47

It's great.
I spend hours on the phone to sister in caribbean and dh in Central Asia (both places that cost a bloody fortune to ring on landline.)

SconesandMajesticSandwiches Sat 30-Jun-07 10:43:16

Yes just start with your PC - see how you get on. You can call international landlines with your PC as well.

Saturn74 Sat 30-Jun-07 10:48:36

Skype is great.
We use it for personal and business calls.

3andnomore Sat 30-Jun-07 10:57:15

what is skype????????????????????????

SconesandMajesticSandwiches Sat 30-Jun-07 11:37:48

VOIP....google it.

It is basically a way of making telephone calls via your internet conection.

It means that you can call other Skype users free. Calls to 'proper' telephone numbers can also be made very cheaply. Esp. international calls.

I think it is free to set up with no line rental/subsrciption

Blandmum Sat 30-Jun-07 12:22:15

Its great for long distance stuff. We talk to DBIL (texas) for at least an hour a week. Zero cost!

suedonim Sat 30-Jun-07 14:51:08

I must get this at home, to talk to ds1 and our friends abroad. I wish we could use it in Nigeria as I/N calls are a monstrous price here. But we don't have BB and Skype is illegal in Nigeria anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now