Talk

Advanced search

Daughter kicked off bus aibu

(813 Posts)
user1471461798 Wed 16-Jan-19 19:59:31

Just wondered what everyone’s thoughts on this was? 17 year old daughter dropped off at the bus stop at 6.44 this morning, she had lost her lanyard with her bus pass on, so was going into college to get a temporary pass, we knew it was at home somewhere. Got on, sat down, the bus driver then asked to see everyone’s pass.. Doesn’t do this every day- specific bus only for her college.( 1st stop in the morning, last stop at night). obviously she didn’t have it, explained and he told her to get off the bus, she asked if she could just go to college and get a temporary pass. ( I know this is true as her friend told her mother the same ).
She then had to walk over a mile in the dark and rain, We had all left for work. also she has a broken arm, so had to carry bags as well. We have asked for an explanation from both the bus company and college, no reply from coach, but college have said the driver was correct!
I feel the coach company had a duty of care to make sure she was safe. What is everyone’s thoughts please?
Maybe a while getting back to everyone, going to the cinema now😊

Rinoachicken Wed 16-Jan-19 20:01:02

If you knew she didn’t have her pass you (and she) should have made sure she had money to pay the fare instead, sorry

JasperKarat Wed 16-Jan-19 20:01:38

They have a duty of care to not let any random person get on a bus for students, without her pass she could've been anyone. She needs to be more careful with her things and maybe someone didn't dropped her off this morning given she has a broken arm

lastqueenofscotland Wed 16-Jan-19 20:02:03

Ditto PP. also she’s 17 not 11...

whatsthepointthen Wed 16-Jan-19 20:02:46

Yeh i think yabu, a mile isnt exactly far and as for it “being dark” it wasnt 3am so cant get worked up it was the morning.

Corcra Wed 16-Jan-19 20:03:20

I would absolutely loose it with them. On a basic human level, the driver did the wrong thing.

Orchidflower1 Wed 16-Jan-19 20:03:23

Was it a bus provided by the college or a regular bus?

ENormaSnob Wed 16-Jan-19 20:03:46

Yabu

kitkatsky Wed 16-Jan-19 20:04:56

YABU, sorry, but like a PP said you could've made sure she had cash in case it was an issue. The driver and college's response was correct. Over a mile means less than 2 miles. Even my DD7 walks that far carrying stuff daily without complaint. If she's in college she's at least 10 years older

LIZS Wed 16-Jan-19 20:05:09

A mile is not far, her friend could have taken the bag. It might seem overly strict but they have certain expectations by that age. Don't do what one local parent did and go to local press about similar, it was excruciating and a non story.

MartaHallard Wed 16-Jan-19 20:05:26

I feel the coach company had a duty of care to make sure she was safe.

She's nearly an adult and presumably knows her way home. What's the worst that could have happened to her, other than getting a bit wet?

ltk Wed 16-Jan-19 20:06:03

Can you pay a fare on this bus, or do you need a pass?

ladybee28 Wed 16-Jan-19 20:06:05

Lose stuff = deal with consequences, no?

the coach company had a duty of care to make sure she was safe

How was she unsafe?

user1471461798 Wed 16-Jan-19 20:06:37

You can’t pay, special bus, she knows the bus driver, there is only 4 people getting on the bus, she isn’t asked to show her pass every day, wasn’t asked yesterday, when she had it. My thoughts are, take her and then when she gets to college, get a temporary pass and show the driver. College is rural, if you got on the coach, you would only be going to that college.

cheesywotnots Wed 16-Jan-19 20:06:43

Why didn't she have the money for the fare if she didnt have her pass.

ooodile Wed 16-Jan-19 20:07:17

She should have had bus fare to get to college; and she's 17. If she has a problem with the driver/bus company, let her sort it out. Does she know how to use a telephone? She should make her own complaint if she thinks it warrants one.

PinkGin24 Wed 16-Jan-19 20:07:25

YABU

ltk Wed 16-Jan-19 20:07:32

A mile is not far, but there needs to be a way to take the bus once without a pass, in order to arrange a new pass. Things do get lost or stolen.

WhatToDoAboutWailmerGoneRogue Wed 16-Jan-19 20:07:57

YABU. You knew she didn’t have the pass and you knew they occasionally check for passes. You (and she) decided to ignore the possible ramifications and it came back to bite you in the bum.

ltk Wed 16-Jan-19 20:08:16

YANBU.

ZogTheOrangeDragon Wed 16-Jan-19 20:08:19

I think she should have had money to pay as she didn’t have her pass with her or you should have taken her to college.

Hopefully this will be a lesson about not losing things.

ooodile Wed 16-Jan-19 20:08:22

If she couldn't use cash, she should have explained to the driver her situation when she got on, or maybe called the company ahead to ask their advice.

dalmatianmad Wed 16-Jan-19 20:08:22

Couldn't you have dropped her off before work?

Namechangedforthis79 Wed 16-Jan-19 20:08:37

Bloody hell she's almost an adult, why are you fighting her battles for her?

OneChildOneNewBaby Wed 16-Jan-19 20:08:38

You should have taken her to college if you both knew she didn't have her pass.
17 she should be paying full fare without a valid pass. YABU, driver did their job.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »