Talk

Advanced search

to worry about cockroaches in the Canary Islands?

(159 Posts)
RainbowBriteRules Sat 12-Jan-19 20:18:53

Looking at all inclusive family holidays. They are all so expensive in the school holidays! Some good deals in the Canary Islands in particular Lanzarote and Tenerife. I’m not sure if I can do it though with the cockroaches. Google either tells me not to worry, I’ll hardly see any or that they are everywhere! Has anyone been and did you see lots? I have visions of being unable to sleep with them in our hotel room.

DuvetCaterpillar Sat 12-Jan-19 20:43:20

When are you thinking of going - it might vary by season? We just came back from La Palma in early January, didn't see a single one.

Busybusybust Sat 12-Jan-19 20:43:23

Saw one in Gran Canaria.

BringItOn88 Sat 12-Jan-19 20:44:47

I was in Lanzarote last year and the old cockroach I saw was when we were packing to come home and one jumped out of my suitcase

RainbowBriteRules Sat 12-Jan-19 20:44:55

August

hammeringinmyhead Sat 12-Jan-19 20:45:15

Found one in my pillow case in Lanzarote.

RainbowBriteRules Sat 12-Jan-19 20:45:31

BringIt that is not reassuring grin.

Onwardsagain Sat 12-Jan-19 20:45:49

Stayed in a cheap as chips apartment once in Tenerife and there were cockroaches everywhere. We sprayed so much insect repellent I started to hallucinate 🤪

I've however been back several times since in much nicer accommodation and can't remember seeing any.

Tartsamazeballs Sat 12-Jan-19 20:47:28

We went to Lanzarote in may and didn't see any. Didn't see any in Tenerife when we went in 2012 either. As an aside Lanzarote is so boring there's naff all to do lol, go to Tenerife it's much nicer 😂

OneStepSideways Sat 12-Jan-19 20:48:40

Some hotels you see lots others none at all. The more expensive hotels are more likely to be regularly fumigated and cleaned as they don't want to get bad reviews! The main thing is not to leave used sanitary towels/baby wipes/nappies in bathroom bins, it attracts them! And leave the bathroom light on at night as they don't like light. Also if there's an ammonia block in the plughole don't remove it, it deters them from coming out of the drains.

And most importantly don't step on them, as sometimes crushed ones release a swarm of baby ones that scuttle all over the floor (it happened to me! Not a sight you want to see at 4am!!)

Put bleach down the loo and keep it clean as they're attracted to traces of bodily fluids.

Also don't leave food/crumbs out.

Cockroaches are part of life in much of the world, you can't avoid them but you can take steps to minimise them.

Insecticides don't work so if a room is over-run with them ask to be moved!

If you switch the light on in the night and spot some, bang the wall/furniture and they will all disappear back into their hidey holes (usually in the wall cavity). Don't leave sweaty/dirty clothes on the floor.

They don't bite and they won't climb on you, they're not attracted to body heat, just bodily fluids on surfaces and food.

bobstersmum Sat 12-Jan-19 20:51:16

Went to tenerife about 27 years ago las americas and I remember seeing absolutely loads, they were big too. Went to lanzarote and only saw one.

ChardonnaysPrettySister Sat 12-Jan-19 20:54:18

I'm severely allergic to the fuckers.

Will be avoiding Tenerife from now on.

MissWimpyDimple Sat 12-Jan-19 20:54:58

Yes. Just seen them in fuerteventura. Bit massive though and no issue.

Satsumaeater Sat 12-Jan-19 20:56:10

I hate creepy crawly things. I've only been to Tenerife once and I am sure I would have remembered if there had been cockroaches. I'd not even realised the Canary Islands were known for them!

Maybe the north of the island (we stayed in Puerto de la Cruz) isn't as bad?

southnownorth Sat 12-Jan-19 20:56:21

I have been to Gran Canaria and Lanzarote. Only seen one tiny one in Gran Canaria.

RainbowBriteRules Sat 12-Jan-19 20:57:57

Ugh. DH and the kids really want to go but I just don’t think I can’t face it. Plus I know they wouldn’t bother DH but if we did see loads the kids would hate it.

HildaZelda Sat 12-Jan-19 20:58:02

I once had to share a shower with one in Majorca. He wouldn't get out, so I got in.

funmummy48 Sat 12-Jan-19 20:58:22

I went to Tenerife last April. I saw one & it was dead. I've visited the Canaries several times and have never really noticed them, that's the only reason I remember seeing one in Tenerife. 😉

RainbowBriteRules Sat 12-Jan-19 20:58:37

Sorry to anyone who I have just scared about their holiday in the Canaries!

RainbowBriteRules Sat 12-Jan-19 20:59:42

In Majorca? FFS that is also where we were looking. Maybe we should stay at home. Really don’t want to pay ££££s to spend my holiday with cockroaches.

ManicUnicorn Sat 12-Jan-19 21:00:56

Been to Tenerife loads of times, Adeje, Las America's and Los Cristianos and never saw one. Went to Lanzarote once and it was infested, you could hear them scurrying around in the dark at night.

Not sure why that is?

RainbowBriteRules Sat 12-Jan-19 21:02:56

Skuttling confused. At night envy. Eeeek.

ChiefClerkDrumknott Sat 12-Jan-19 21:03:32

I went on a cruise around the Canaries and (separately) spent a week in Lanzarote with a day in Fuertoventura and never saw a single one! Both times were in March so perhaps seasonal? Did see some cool looking lizards and some amazing ravens though 😁

MooseBeTimeForSnow Sat 12-Jan-19 21:04:54

Big oil tanker. Middle of the ocean. Turned on the galley (kitchen) lights in the middle of the night.

Cue a few of the buggers scuttling out of sight.

Not like I could run screaming for the hills ...

lotusbell Sat 12-Jan-19 21:05:49

I went to Fuerteventura last August, didn't realise when we booked that the hotel didn't have AC. Bathroom had no windows, and roaches kept coming in through vents and plugs, I think. Meant we had to keep the bathroom door shut which wasn't great for ventilation. Didn't enjoy it really but they did only seem to come out at night.

sparepantsandtoothbrush Sat 12-Jan-19 21:07:41

Been to Lanzarote 3 times and seen about 4 cockroaches. I think it would be daft not to book somewhere just in case! And as for there being nothing to do in Lanzarote...what?! Last time we went the kids were 9 and 11 and we were busy the whole 2 weeks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »