Talk

Advanced search

to worry about cockroaches in the Canary Islands?

(159 Posts)
RainbowBriteRules Sat 12-Jan-19 20:18:53

Looking at all inclusive family holidays. They are all so expensive in the school holidays! Some good deals in the Canary Islands in particular Lanzarote and Tenerife. I’m not sure if I can do it though with the cockroaches. Google either tells me not to worry, I’ll hardly see any or that they are everywhere! Has anyone been and did you see lots? I have visions of being unable to sleep with them in our hotel room.

TattiePants Sat 12-Jan-19 20:31:22

It's about 25 years since I was last in Tenerife but my god, they were everywhere! We were in Las Americas which wasn't the cleanest of places and that may have contributed to it. On the way back to the apartment there were a couple of metres of unlit path and DH (then DP) had to carry me over it every night as I was convinced one would crawl in my sandals! To be fair, DH had been to the same place the previous year and hadn't seen any so perhaps we were just very unlucky!

RainbowBriteRules Sat 12-Jan-19 20:32:36

Thanks Tattie, that is my fear! So many people seem to go on holiday there though, maybe they are less pathetic than me.

Notgotajarofglue Sat 12-Jan-19 20:33:32

I'm from Lanzarote and yeah they are all over. Don't do you any harm though

CrazyOldBagLady Sat 12-Jan-19 20:33:59

I didn't spot any in Tenerife. Costa Adeje was very clean, maybe this helped, or maybe I just didn't notice them.

PerditaMacleod Sat 12-Jan-19 20:34:28

I went to La Palma in October and didn't see a single one.

TattiePants Sat 12-Jan-19 20:34:54

DH also saw a rat in one of the bars and fortunately didn't tell me until we were safely back in the UK. Lots of my family have been to Lanzarote and Gran Canaria since and haven't had any problems.

ThePinkOcelot Sat 12-Jan-19 20:35:00

I’ve been to Tenerife a few times, saw the odd one. Gran Canaria the same. I’ve also been to Cyprus, Greece and mainland Spain. Saw them there too. Don’t think they’re only native to the canaries OP!

BloodyBing Sat 12-Jan-19 20:35:08

I've been to the canaries every other year for 25 years and I've hardly come across any.
Occasionally there will be one pottering about but I have never ever seen a swarm of them.

8FencingWire Sat 12-Jan-19 20:36:13

I went to lanzarote every year for the past 4-5 years. I haven’t seen a single one!

BejamNostalgia Sat 12-Jan-19 20:36:35

I went to the South of Fuerteventura near Jandia and didn’t see one. Lovely place, very beautiful and great food.

nbee84 Sat 12-Jan-19 20:36:43

I've been to the canaries about 15 or so times. Some years I've seen quite a few, other years none or hardly any. We've only once had one in our apartment and a quick call to housekeeping, who came with some spray, sorted that out.

Celebelly Sat 12-Jan-19 20:37:32

I've been to Gran Canaria four times and seen one cockroach, nowhere near our hotel and just while walking back from a restaurant.

Purplestorm83 Sat 12-Jan-19 20:37:41

Went to Fuertaventura last year and didn’t see any

BabyNameDilemma Sat 12-Jan-19 20:38:10

I went to Lanzarote a few years ago and we had quite a few. I left a siesta glass on the side overnight and there were three in it by morning!

Celebelly Sat 12-Jan-19 20:38:16

(I was walking back from a restaurant, not the cockroach) grin

BabyNameDilemma Sat 12-Jan-19 20:38:36

Dirty glass, not siesta!

CantWaitToRetire Sat 12-Jan-19 20:38:45

I love Lanzarote but yes, you will see at least one while you’re there. My worst experience was years ago when we were staying in an apartment block. I’d got in the shower which was over the bath. I’d just finished shampooing my hair when I looked up and there was one on the inside of the curtain. I’ve never screamed so loud in my life and I couldn’t get out of there quick enough. Found one in the wardrobe too. Don’t be fooled into thinking if you’re not on the ground floor you’ll be ok. We were on the third floor at the time.

starrynight19 Sat 12-Jan-19 20:39:13

We have been to Tenerife maybe 5/6 times and have probably seen 1.
I don’t think this is a reason to be put off.

Alfiesmom74 Sat 12-Jan-19 20:40:51

Been to Lanzarote and Gran Canaria stacks of times and can count on 1 hand the amount of cockroaches I’ve seen. Meanwhile went to Mexico 5 star and saw more in 2 weeks than I have anywhere else!

Hortonlovesahoo Sat 12-Jan-19 20:41:34

I've been to gran canaria 3 times and I've only seen one in a hallway and not in any rooms

RainbowBriteRules Sat 12-Jan-19 20:41:36

Thanks everyone! Not sure if I am reassured or not but really appreciate all responses. I know they are not only in he Canaries but it just seems you hear more about them there.

lostinjapan Sat 12-Jan-19 20:41:55

You do see them every so often when you’re walking around. I’ve been to Fuerteventura four times, and two of those times I’ve had them in my apartment (but it wasn’t overrun with them).

But I mean I’m really bloody terrified of cockroaches and I keep going back, so I guess if I can cope, most people will. I guess some hotels have more of a cockroach problem than others, so have a search of the reviews before you book.

Pinkyponkcustard Sat 12-Jan-19 20:41:59

Honestly op I wouldn’t even think about it - as a previous poster said they aren’t native to the canaries you will find them all over Europe, like lots of insects.

RainbowBriteRules Sat 12-Jan-19 20:42:35

That is interesting Alfiesmom shock. Is nowhere safe?!

DuvetCaterpillar Sat 12-Jan-19 20:43:20

When are you thinking of going - it might vary by season? We just came back from La Palma in early January, didn't see a single one.

Busybusybust Sat 12-Jan-19 20:43:23

Saw one in Gran Canaria.

BringItOn88 Sat 12-Jan-19 20:44:47

I was in Lanzarote last year and the old cockroach I saw was when we were packing to come home and one jumped out of my suitcase

RainbowBriteRules Sat 12-Jan-19 20:44:55

August

hammeringinmyhead Sat 12-Jan-19 20:45:15

Found one in my pillow case in Lanzarote.

RainbowBriteRules Sat 12-Jan-19 20:45:31

BringIt that is not reassuring grin.

Onwardsagain Sat 12-Jan-19 20:45:49

Stayed in a cheap as chips apartment once in Tenerife and there were cockroaches everywhere. We sprayed so much insect repellent I started to hallucinate 🤪

I've however been back several times since in much nicer accommodation and can't remember seeing any.

Tartsamazeballs Sat 12-Jan-19 20:47:28

We went to Lanzarote in may and didn't see any. Didn't see any in Tenerife when we went in 2012 either. As an aside Lanzarote is so boring there's naff all to do lol, go to Tenerife it's much nicer 😂

OneStepSideways Sat 12-Jan-19 20:48:40

Some hotels you see lots others none at all. The more expensive hotels are more likely to be regularly fumigated and cleaned as they don't want to get bad reviews! The main thing is not to leave used sanitary towels/baby wipes/nappies in bathroom bins, it attracts them! And leave the bathroom light on at night as they don't like light. Also if there's an ammonia block in the plughole don't remove it, it deters them from coming out of the drains.

And most importantly don't step on them, as sometimes crushed ones release a swarm of baby ones that scuttle all over the floor (it happened to me! Not a sight you want to see at 4am!!)

Put bleach down the loo and keep it clean as they're attracted to traces of bodily fluids.

Also don't leave food/crumbs out.

Cockroaches are part of life in much of the world, you can't avoid them but you can take steps to minimise them.

Insecticides don't work so if a room is over-run with them ask to be moved!

If you switch the light on in the night and spot some, bang the wall/furniture and they will all disappear back into their hidey holes (usually in the wall cavity). Don't leave sweaty/dirty clothes on the floor.

They don't bite and they won't climb on you, they're not attracted to body heat, just bodily fluids on surfaces and food.

bobstersmum Sat 12-Jan-19 20:51:16

Went to tenerife about 27 years ago las americas and I remember seeing absolutely loads, they were big too. Went to lanzarote and only saw one.

ChardonnaysPrettySister Sat 12-Jan-19 20:54:18

I'm severely allergic to the fuckers.

Will be avoiding Tenerife from now on.

MissWimpyDimple Sat 12-Jan-19 20:54:58

Yes. Just seen them in fuerteventura. Bit massive though and no issue.

Satsumaeater Sat 12-Jan-19 20:56:10

I hate creepy crawly things. I've only been to Tenerife once and I am sure I would have remembered if there had been cockroaches. I'd not even realised the Canary Islands were known for them!

Maybe the north of the island (we stayed in Puerto de la Cruz) isn't as bad?

southnownorth Sat 12-Jan-19 20:56:21

I have been to Gran Canaria and Lanzarote. Only seen one tiny one in Gran Canaria.

RainbowBriteRules Sat 12-Jan-19 20:57:57

Ugh. DH and the kids really want to go but I just don’t think I can’t face it. Plus I know they wouldn’t bother DH but if we did see loads the kids would hate it.

HildaZelda Sat 12-Jan-19 20:58:02

I once had to share a shower with one in Majorca. He wouldn't get out, so I got in.

funmummy48 Sat 12-Jan-19 20:58:22

I went to Tenerife last April. I saw one & it was dead. I've visited the Canaries several times and have never really noticed them, that's the only reason I remember seeing one in Tenerife. 😉

RainbowBriteRules Sat 12-Jan-19 20:58:37

Sorry to anyone who I have just scared about their holiday in the Canaries!

RainbowBriteRules Sat 12-Jan-19 20:59:42

In Majorca? FFS that is also where we were looking. Maybe we should stay at home. Really don’t want to pay ££££s to spend my holiday with cockroaches.

ManicUnicorn Sat 12-Jan-19 21:00:56

Been to Tenerife loads of times, Adeje, Las America's and Los Cristianos and never saw one. Went to Lanzarote once and it was infested, you could hear them scurrying around in the dark at night.

Not sure why that is?

RainbowBriteRules Sat 12-Jan-19 21:02:56

Skuttling confused. At night envy. Eeeek.

ChiefClerkDrumknott Sat 12-Jan-19 21:03:32

I went on a cruise around the Canaries and (separately) spent a week in Lanzarote with a day in Fuertoventura and never saw a single one! Both times were in March so perhaps seasonal? Did see some cool looking lizards and some amazing ravens though 😁

MooseBeTimeForSnow Sat 12-Jan-19 21:04:54

Big oil tanker. Middle of the ocean. Turned on the galley (kitchen) lights in the middle of the night.

Cue a few of the buggers scuttling out of sight.

Not like I could run screaming for the hills ...

lotusbell Sat 12-Jan-19 21:05:49

I went to Fuerteventura last August, didn't realise when we booked that the hotel didn't have AC. Bathroom had no windows, and roaches kept coming in through vents and plugs, I think. Meant we had to keep the bathroom door shut which wasn't great for ventilation. Didn't enjoy it really but they did only seem to come out at night.

sparepantsandtoothbrush Sat 12-Jan-19 21:07:41

Been to Lanzarote 3 times and seen about 4 cockroaches. I think it would be daft not to book somewhere just in case! And as for there being nothing to do in Lanzarote...what?! Last time we went the kids were 9 and 11 and we were busy the whole 2 weeks

MrsSpenserGregson Sat 12-Jan-19 21:07:52

I have been to the Tenerife twice, Gran Canaria once, and Lanzarote three times, most recently last year. I have never seen a single cockroach there.

Italy, on the other hand ..... millions of the fuckers.

DaphneDiligaf Sat 12-Jan-19 21:07:54

You do know we have cockroaches in the UK don't you?

Alabasterangel6 Sat 12-Jan-19 21:09:25

I’m amazed. I didn’t know this was a thing at all. I have visited the canaries dozens and dozens of times (lanzarote, playa Blanca, 4 different hotels and apartments at least twice each), fuerteventura many times, coralejo more times than I can count and Jandia at least 4 times the most recently being October 18. I have also visited Tenerife. I would estimate 25 trips over many years. I have never, ever seen any cockroaches.

I saw some in a dive of a hotel in Crete c.1997, and my DF was working in the West Indies from 1982-1987 and visiting I saw some proper beasties (many many cockroaches, scorpions under loo seats and millipedes about 30cm long) but in the canaries I’ve never seen anything worse than a hungry chipmunk.

HeathRobinson Sat 12-Jan-19 21:09:28

I've been to Majorca, Tenerife and Lanzarore and never seen one!

ems137 Sat 12-Jan-19 21:09:53

Went to Lanzarote in August 2017, absolutely infested. We slept in the car 1 night, 2 adults and 4 children. I couldn't have my newborn around the dirty fuckers.

Gran Canaria August 2018, didn't see a single one

Thewifipasswordis Sat 12-Jan-19 21:10:27

It's just a bloody cockroach. They're like seeing a spider here fgs.

augustusglupe Sat 12-Jan-19 21:11:15

Last time I went to Tenerife was our honeymoon in 1987, they were everywhere!!

LipGloss4 Sat 12-Jan-19 21:11:38

I've been to the canaries 5 times (different islands) and we did see cockroaches a couple of times in the hotel room. They weren't everywhere, but it's a possibility.

SnowBambino Sat 12-Jan-19 21:11:50

We have visited the Canary Islands several times and stayed in fairly high end accommodation of different types - villas, small/large hotels. We avoid the big package holiday resorts though. Haven’t seen a single cockroach. Actually, I always think it’s very bug free - we are never bitten by mozzies or plagued by wasps etc. I’m hoping I haven’t jinxed it by saying that, as we’re heading back in a few weeks with our baby.

starzig Sat 12-Jan-19 21:12:25

Yes there are lots. Even more when particularly hot. Flying ones too. But the eont harm you.

Celebelly Sat 12-Jan-19 21:14:07

Honestly, just check hotel reviews on Tripadvisor. If somewhere has a cockroach problem, people will say. Otherwise just pick a nice clean hotel and you'll be fine. Our hotels in GC have always been spotless and we've never had so much as a fly in our room, let alone a cockroach, and no cockroaches ever spotted in the grounds either. In fact one of the things I like about GC is that there is so little insect activity!

AndhowcouldIeverrefuse Sat 12-Jan-19 21:14:29

I've been to Tenerife (week's holiday in a parador hotel) and never saw a single one - I have a problem with bugs and look out for them and would freak out at a cockroach. But I never saw a single one.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Sat 12-Jan-19 21:14:32

Didn’t see any in Lanzarote in Sept. DH is scared of them so pretty vigilant.

Shutityoutart Sat 12-Jan-19 21:15:27

I went to boarding school in the UK and one dropped down my nightie in the night!! I’ve had a real hatred of them since but I’ve travelled all over the world, it’s never stopped me. I can’t remember seeing any in Tenerife. Hundreds in Cyprus though!

HildaZelda Sat 12-Jan-19 21:16:55

OP, I've been to Majorca more than 10 times and in all those times I've seen maybe 2 in the street and that one in my shower and that was it.
He was the only one who wanted to get up close and personal grin

Have been in Lanzarote once (hated it, never again) and didn't see a single one there.

BeekyChitch Sat 12-Jan-19 21:16:55

I was there in July '18 and didn't see any! If you're looking for them you'll probably see them but I'm sure most are be having too much fun to notice!

shecamefromgreece Sat 12-Jan-19 21:17:06

Yes I've seen them.
I stayed in a cheap and cheerful place in las Americas about 20 years ago and when you used to get home at night and switch the light on you would see them all scuttle off to hide <boak>🤢
This year I was sat outside a bar in Spain and one the size of hand crawled over my foot, I may have screamed blush

RainbowBriteRules Sat 12-Jan-19 21:17:57

Will have a look at Trip Advisor. I know it is ridiculous, I know we have them here. It’s the prospect of spending thousands of pounds to see them that bothers me. It’s such a lot of money to get wrong.

OhMyGodTheyKilledKenny Sat 12-Jan-19 21:18:23

We've been to Tenerife about 6 times in the last 15 years and have only ever seen 2 (and one of those was dead).

I didn't realise that they were such a thing there.

youarenotkiddingme Sat 12-Jan-19 21:19:17

O lived in Tenerife for a few years. They take some getting use to but you either seem to be somewhere they are or you don't see them!

I could handle the ones that walked. It's the flying fuckers that always got me! That and the spiders from the banana plantations that carry their babies on their backs 🙈

If you really can't handle them avoid canaries and southern Spain. And U.K. hospital basements 😂

RebelWitchFace Sat 12-Jan-19 21:19:49

There's cockroaches in the UK (some households are ridden with them) too ,so no nowhere is safe, particularly in countries where it gets really warm(if you visit in season) However they're bugs... they don't bite or anything they just are. You can get ants as well especially if you leave sugary food/crumbs around.
Not enough of an issue to miss out on a great holiday.

dreamingofsun Sat 12-Jan-19 21:20:08

saw one in gran canaria - think it was because our apartment backed onto the mountain. never seen them before in visiting lanzarote/tenerife about 10 times. saw a few in top resort hotel in mauritius though

agedknees Sat 12-Jan-19 21:20:09

Been to the canaries loads and hardly seen any.

Went to surfers paradise in Aussie. Brand new apartment block, we where on ground floor. Woke up about 3am with a raging thirst. Went to the kitchen (didn’t put the light on), heard crunch, crunch.

Turned the light on. There where hundreds of cockies all over the kitchen/lounge. I screamed blue murder. Dh thought I was being murdered.

On nights in a nhs hospital me and the other nurses used to catch cockies in a roses jar to show the day staff (they said we where exaggerating our cockie experiences).

So go to the canaries and enjoy.

Returnofthesmileybar Sat 12-Jan-19 21:20:44

Been to Lanzarote, Gran Canaria and Feurteventura and have never seen one!

I used to work in an office here in Ireland and the office was infested with them constantly, I couldn't leave anything down for fear of bringing one of the fuckers home, every morning I'd open the door, reach in and flick the light, then bang the door loudly a few times to announce my arrival so they could scurry off, it was grim!!

Vanillaradio Sat 12-Jan-19 21:21:45

I have been to the Canaries 10+ times. Yes I have seen the occasional cockroach there but would hardly say there were swarms. If it's really putting you off, how about a cruise, then you can go back to your ship at night and sail away.

dreamingofsun Sat 12-Jan-19 21:22:01

agedknees - what happened about the apartment in aussie? did you get moved?

RainbowBriteRules Sat 12-Jan-19 21:23:10

youre and aged I work in a hospital shockshockshock <ponders career change>

AndhowcouldIeverrefuse Sat 12-Jan-19 21:26:04

particularly in countries where it gets really warm
Actually the worst cockroach infestation I've seen was in Northern Russia... and I've seen spiders carry their babies on their back in Wild Wales grin

youarenotkiddingme Sat 12-Jan-19 21:26:37

I worked in Tenerife.

I know where I'd have preferred to see them!

RainbowBriteRules Sat 12-Jan-19 21:28:13

I’d love a cruise Vanilla but they are even more expensive.

Bloody hell, not sure I should have started this thread grin. So basically they are everywhere in the world and there is no hope.

agedknees Sat 12-Jan-19 21:28:49

Didn’t get moved because it was a military holiday apartment (RAAF) and we where only there one week so we just sucked it up. Bought plenty of cockie spray though!

PinkGin24 Sat 12-Jan-19 21:29:53

We went to Lanzorote (Playa Blanca) twice a year every year from when I was 2 to 18 as we had a place out there. Never saw a single one.

thenightsky Sat 12-Jan-19 21:30:21

Went to Gran Canaria last summer and didn't see a single one. Egypt was pretty bad. Saw one in Dominican Republic last month.

Worse infestation I ever saw was when I worked nights in a big hospital in this country. Second worse was in the nurses home I lived in during the 70s at a children's hospital.

Don't ever stamp on them - they carry their eggs on their backs and you'll bring eggs home on your shoes.

PipGoesPop Sat 12-Jan-19 21:32:05

Been countless times to Canaries over the past 30 years. NEVER ever seen a cockroach. Stayed in self catering apartments and all inclusive. Never gone for the cheapest though so perhaps that's why?

RainbowBriteRules Sat 12-Jan-19 21:33:51

Oh god. Definitely considering career change now grin. I will not be googling hospitals and cockroaches. Also the rule that was suddenly ushered in where I worked years ago about not wearing work shoes home suddenly makes sense!

No idea now what to do about holiday but really appreciate all replies except the hospital ones.

RebelWitchFace Sat 12-Jan-19 21:35:31

@AndhowcouldIeverrefuse back home it gets to 40 in the summer. -25 in the winter . Yep...infested..including the hospitals .

My friend rang me in tears at 12 pm one night to go pick her up, as the house where she took a job as an au pair(London) was infested and she could hear them scuttling all over her bedroom. Fun times.

DippyDuck123 Sat 12-Jan-19 21:41:06

Been to the Canaries every year for the last 13. I've seen maybe 3.... No need to worry.

agedknees Sat 12-Jan-19 21:43:32

Rather have a cockie then a red back spider hiding underneath your toddlers swing.

RainbowBriteRules Sat 12-Jan-19 21:44:59

Totally. You’d have to hold a gun to my head to get me to Australia.

Burlea Sat 12-Jan-19 21:46:37

We have been to the canaries every year for the last 20 and I will admit to only seeing 5 cockroaches.

champagneplanet Sat 12-Jan-19 21:49:14

I was in Tenerife three months ago and saw one, it's was late at night and it ran away as we approached. They aren't nice but won't do you any harm.

agedknees Sat 12-Jan-19 21:54:00

Book your holiday,you’ll have a great time. If you work for the NHS you deserve a good holiday.

RainbowBriteRules Sat 12-Jan-19 22:00:51

Ok thanks all, I will think about it!

BarryTheKestrel Sat 12-Jan-19 22:03:18

It’s the prospect of spending thousands of pounds to see them that bothers me. It’s such a lot of money to get wrong.

I think what you need to consider OP is that you aren't spending thousands of pounds to potentially see the odd bug. You are spending that to have a family holiday. If you're spending big bucks chances are you'll be in decent accomodation, unlikely to be swarming with bugs. If it is, ask to be moved.

That's sort of like saying, I won't stay in this beautiful manor house in case there is a single spider.

Do not let the bugs of any kind stop you or your family from having fun.

RebelWitchFace Sat 12-Jan-19 22:05:06

I think you need to stop thinking in terms of "I'm paying ££££ to see cockroaches ". You're paying ££££ for a break, for the weather,food,sun,sea and fun. To spend time with your family without any worries or cleaning or cooking.

Cockroaches are just part of the local fauna. They'll be there regardless and you might see them or not.

StoneRoses4Ever Sat 12-Jan-19 22:08:05

I think it's more about where you stay and their standards. I've been to Gran Canaria, Lanzaote and Fuerteventura. I saw the odd one, but in Gran Canara in a fairly basic garden bungalow rented out from the owner with rare sightings of cleaners and they were everywhere (I realised they came in thru cracks around windows, blocked them with plastic bags and the cleaners kept removing them!). The difference was the other places I was staying in quite nice hotels/aparthotels where you saw cleaners and gardeners often. Also read all the reviews on where you want to stay. Reading a pile of trip advisor reports has never failed me in terms of - since the bad experience in GC - getting a great holiday!

Nothisispatrick Sat 12-Jan-19 22:08:30

I saw one in Tenerife, none in Gran Canaria

RainbowBriteRules Sat 12-Jan-19 22:08:39

Thanks guys you are right of course. Yes, very true Rebel. We had a lovely holiday last year which was so worth the money for all those reasons.

1tisILeClerc Sat 12-Jan-19 22:09:33

Roaches don't like the light so if they are in your bedroom sleep with the light on.

FortyFacedFuckers Sat 12-Jan-19 22:09:35

Honestly op I have been to Tenerife 8 times, Gran Canaria & Lanzarote twice and have only ever seen 2 cockroaches, I really wouldn’t worry about it too much.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »