Talk

Advanced search

To ask your work 'perks'

(422 Posts)
WhoTookTheChristmasCookie Sat 12-Jan-19 10:49:56

I've read a story this morning about the employees of a company being up in arms that their 'free, unlimited beer' perk has been limited.
Due to noise complaints and a concern for the working environment they've been 'rationed' to four glasses between 5 and 7pm on Thursday and Friday.

I'm gobsmacked!!!

Before that they were able to drink as much as they wanted whenever they wanted throughout the working day - how was any work getting done?

Are job perks like this normal? I was lucky enough to get a free tea in my last job and that was subject to conditions grin
Does your job give you good perks? If so, where do you work? I'm on the hunt for a new job!

puzzledlady Sat 12-Jan-19 10:55:50

We get free gym, free yoga, free Pilates - all done during work time and in our building) - 45 mins - 1hr a day. there are weekly classes with various things - baking etc. We also have a free canteen. Pretty cool company.

Biancadelriosback Sat 12-Jan-19 11:06:36

We have a great pension scheme, can work from home whenever we want, sick pay, can take time off (paid) for Dr appointments etc, get 3 duvet days a year and bought lunch every Friday. Very simple things which make a huge difference

LaurieMarlow Sat 12-Jan-19 11:08:40

Unlimited free beer is pretty standard if you work for a drinks company.

I get health insurance for me and my kids, good pension contribution, lots of free lunches/evenings out/nights in hotels/alcohol, first class travel when away for work, mobile paid for.

In previous jobs I've had free home internet, all expenses paid trips for overseas company 'conferences', free yoga/reflexology/circuit training/massage on the job.

Lushlemming Sat 12-Jan-19 11:10:31

Im my last job I had free use of a Bentley Continental GT, literally whenever I wanted it, for as long as I wanted. It wasn't a proper company car arrangement or anything. I was a PA for a few years for a UAE family who were living here. Pay wasn't amazing but the perks were pretty good.

Babymamamama Sat 12-Jan-19 11:10:40

Virtually none. Free very cheap tea and coffee. That's it! But the job has flexible hours, close to home and very rewarding in terms of job satisfaction so I would take that over perks any day.

pumpkinpie01 Sat 12-Jan-19 11:13:02

Not a lot - but Im currently eating a massive slab of carrot cake and enjoying a luxury milkshake courtesy of the boss so cant be all bad.

WhoTookTheChristmasCookie Sat 12-Jan-19 11:13:27

I definitely need to look elsewhere!

Some of these are amazing. Things that make you look forward to going into work can never be a bad thing.

@LaurieMarlow this company was a creative start-up. I understand free alcohol whilst working in a related field, I've never heard of it in an office environment though.

AllMYSmellySocks Sat 12-Jan-19 11:14:10

My husband's work has a kitchen with free food and alcohol. Really posh chocolates, parma ham, smoked salmon (fresh every day), cheeses, breads, crackers, crisps etc. If there's something they want which hasn't been provided they can write it on the list and it turns up next day (last summer there were about 20 different ice creams requested and all turned up). There are also beers there but people only drink them on a Friday evening and while there's no official limit on time to start drinking or number of beers no one actually gets drunk in the work kitchen or drinks them during the working day!

They also get free massages!

WhoTookTheChristmasCookie Sat 12-Jan-19 11:14:18

@pumpkinpie01 is your company hiring? grin

JollyGiraffe Sat 12-Jan-19 11:14:48

Good pension.

That's it.

We have to buy tea, coffee, milk, even washing up liquid ourselves (NHS)

AllMYSmellySocks Sat 12-Jan-19 11:15:25

He also gets health & dental insurance for the family and free lunch which will be delivered by deliveroo of up to £10 a day.

WhoTookTheChristmasCookie Sat 12-Jan-19 11:16:33

@AllMYSmellySocks that's amazing. Do you mind me asking what job that is?

My eyes have been opened massively to how shit the environment was for employees in my last job. No wonder staff turnover was so high!

Gettingbackonmyfeet Sat 12-Jan-19 11:17:54

Hehe I'm in health and social care....so on occasion the ability to sleep a full night without my phone ringing with a crisis has felt like a perk grin

My company pays generously and are great about flexible time but we don't I think have many tangible perks

Oh no wait we do have free tea and coffee which in fairness is a very very appreciated perk actually

Adversecamber22 Sat 12-Jan-19 11:19:01

I’m retired now but I had a job for six years where I could have free breakfast lunch and dinner at a number of places and a clothing allowance to buy suits. Plus unlimited free tea and coffee and a defined benefits pension scheme.

Last job was defined benefits pension scheme, free tea and coffee a free lunch once per month and then various free dinners and lunches as and when. We were allowed to travel first class by train.

adaline Sat 12-Jan-19 11:19:07

I'd love to see some of these jobs!

We get free tea and coffee and sometimes biscuits!

BringOnTheScience Sat 12-Jan-19 11:20:26

Free hot drinks, subsidised deli cafe, really good Christmas bonuses.

gamerwidow Sat 12-Jan-19 11:20:37

NHS so good pension.
We have to buy our own tea and coffee and recently stationary too because it’s such a pita to get the purchase approved due to spending cuts.
We do have a cheap working mans club type bar on site at one of the hospitals though for staff use only too.

DennisIsABastardMan Sat 12-Jan-19 11:20:58

I work for a publishing house, so books. Many, many books. The novelty wears off after a while... oh yes, and tote bags grin.

SiobhanLouisa7 Sat 12-Jan-19 11:21:38

We have excellent benefits. Often have fun stuff going on in the office. We got Dominoes pizza bought for those of us working Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve (on top of that we got a very early finish both days!)

We had two Christmas parties, each one they paid for hotel, transport and it was free food and booze. The big one was at the Tower of London.

Tons of courses they'll put you through. Unlimited tea and coffee... always got biscuits floating about too.

ENormaSnob Sat 12-Jan-19 11:21:47

Not a fucking thing tbh. Nhs.

Reasonable pension...payments nearly as much as my mortgage and can't take until 60. Plus I believe state pension is reduced as a result. Need to look into that.

HopefullyAnonymous Sat 12-Jan-19 11:22:17

Absolutely none. Well, decent pension. I’m a police officer, nipped into Tesco express on my break the other day for milk for the staff kitchen and a sandwich and a lovely man started raving at me about how outrageous it was that I was “doing my weekly shop” in works time. The idea that we’re allowed a break too seemed beyond him 🙄 few perks, lots of grief basically!!

AllMYSmellySocks Sat 12-Jan-19 11:22:23

that's amazing. Do you mind me asking what job that is?

He works in finance. To be fair before that he was an academic and the only perk was a box of chocolate biscuits on a Friday lunch time. There used to be an absolute stampede the second the secretary put them out.

Mammyloveswine Sat 12-Jan-19 11:23:20

13 weeks holiday a year....

FamilyOfAliens Sat 12-Jan-19 11:23:45

There are no perks to working in a school unless you count the fact that you may save on childcare.

Some people think having long unpaid holidays is a perk, but I’m not so sure.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: