Advanced search

To call the police on the people across the road?

(22 Posts)
Hotdogflavouredwater Sat 12-Jan-19 04:40:42

Some guy has moved in across the road and all this morning has been screaming and banging on his fence. I gathered that the person living with him has locked him out and I heard him say "stop spending your money on drugs" so I'm fairly sure it's some sort of come down.

He saw the neighbour watching and screamed that hes going to break down the door and kill her. I tried to call the police then but the line wouldn't go through for some reason. He went quiet for a bit but now a couple hours later hes been walking in and out his house screaming for a bit.

I'm a bit concerned about leaving the house to get in the car. Should I call the non emergency line?

Insomnibrat Sat 12-Jan-19 04:43:36

When do you need to go out in the car?

It's 04:42am in the UK, assuming you're here.

He may well have gone away by the time you need to go out...?

Smotheroffive Sat 12-Jan-19 04:44:33

I would get the police there because of the disturbance he is causing at this time of night and that you cannot leave your house because of his threatening behaviour. Is it essential, your journey at this time of night?

RebootYourEngine Sat 12-Jan-19 04:46:51

I leave for work most days at this time so maybe OP is the same.

I would phone the police. He is being a nuisance and may harm himself or others.

Hotdogflavouredwater Sat 12-Jan-19 04:49:29

It's about 3pm where I live and I would like to go to the shops 😂

Smotheroffive Sat 12-Jan-19 05:18:34

Dont understand OP? Is that funny? Is this funny? I thought you were serious,but if you're not taking our responses seriously you're on your own.

Hotdogflavouredwater Sat 12-Jan-19 05:21:18

What's funny is everyone assuming everyone else lives in their time zone.

I am quite serious, my car is parked on the road and this guy keeps going in and out of his house screaming. He also pulled his letterbox out the ground so I ended up calling the police anyway.

Justagirlwholovesaboy Sat 12-Jan-19 05:22:27

I don’t understand, i I heard that and tried to call the police but “the line would not go through for some reason” I would keep trying to call?

Hotdogflavouredwater Sat 12-Jan-19 05:40:13

I tried twice. After that he went inside and went quiet for a couple hours

jesusishot Sat 12-Jan-19 05:44:18

mumsnet is a UK-based site. It's not hilarious to assume that someone posting on it is in the UK. I wouldn't wander into an Australian forum and assume everyone was on the same time-zone as me because I'm not Australian and that would just be weird.

BastardGoDarkly Sat 12-Jan-19 05:51:04

Why is everyone getting so arsey?

Sounds like hallucinogens of some sort op.

What did the police say?

MissLanesAmericanCousin Sat 12-Jan-19 06:00:33

Your remark was very flippant and cavalier attitude, to an alarming situation, Op is why some posters are a little annoyed to say the least. Not to mention, this is a UK site, so I would suspect about 80-90% of people who use this site are from the UK. I'm from the U.S and I am never bothered if someone doesn't realize that I don't live there. It is quite presumptuous of you, to assume that everyone on a UK site is going to ask you where you live.

You get more flies with honey than you do with vinegar

Learn some manners.

And call the police.

nocoolnamesleft Sat 12-Jan-19 06:01:41

And replies are based on country. So, for instance, we might say "yes, call the police" for a UK poster, but might suggest something different if, for instance, it were a police state with a record of shooting people in mental health crisis.

FortunesFave Sat 12-Jan-19 06:05:14

Well OP you're the one who posted the stupid crying with laughter face.

And I'm in Australia and when I post I always begin with "I'm in Oz" so people understand the time difference.

Hotdogflavouredwater Sat 12-Jan-19 07:31:56

Tbf I dont think it really matters where or what timezone I am in regarding my question. Would the answer to call the police differ in another country for some reason?

Anyway, the guy didnt answer the door and hid inside till the police left. Then he came back outside and threw a rock through someone elses window

Ourownpersonaltrap Sat 12-Jan-19 07:34:51

Really...Well all’s well that ends well eh.

LakieLady Sat 12-Jan-19 07:38:59

In the UK, calling the police would be a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

UK police spend quite a bit of their time dealing with people who have MH crises but won't go to hospital voluntarily. (On one occasion, the custody suite at Brighton was entirely full of people detained under S136 of the Mental Health Act).

Because this is primarily a UK site, there won't be that many posters who will know what the law and practice is in other countries, so are not very well placed to advise.

Anyway, he's now committed criminal damage (or whatever the equivalent offence is where you are) so the police need to "arrest" him for that. I'd call them out again.

jesusishot Sat 12-Jan-19 20:06:06

Well, yes, if you were in certain parts of the US you would definitely think more carefully about calling the police than in the UK, particularly if junkie guy belonged to a visible minority.

Birdsgottafly Sat 12-Jan-19 20:11:34

If there are children in the houses, never hesitate to call the Police.

If I thought someone was at risk of violence etc, then I would. Also if someone vulnerable lived next door to him.

Otherwise I might not.

ehohtinkywinky Sat 12-Jan-19 20:14:31

@Ourownpersonaltrap grin

BIWI Sat 12-Jan-19 20:15:04

What an odd thing to join Mumsnet to post about.

Smotheroffive Sat 12-Jan-19 20:16:16

Not come back to deal with OPs nonsense, thought it important for more to realise that commonly all of UK's section136s bed are full, and suicidal people turned away, or dangerous to self or others. It is crisis many nights. Scarey!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »