Talk

Advanced search

to wonder why May doesn’t...

(12 Posts)
BertrandRussell Fri 11-Jan-19 23:41:39

......just say “sod this for a game of soldiers” and walk away and go and have a nice time. What’s in it for her?

Samcro Fri 11-Jan-19 23:42:28

money and power

Casmama Sat 12-Jan-19 07:16:52

I think it genuinely is a sense of duty. I think she put herself forward as PM because if she didn't she would miss her chance and now she is determined to see it through.

No matter what criticisms may be made if her I think she has to be respected for sticking it out.

localfluff Sat 12-Jan-19 07:24:22

Cameron needs a woman to clean up the mess he left by orchestrating the referendum. He was just a silly little boy playing at politics, along with the rest of his silly pals. I think May is doing her best to sort out a workable deal, but I don't think it'll do any good in the long run.

BillywilliamV Sat 12-Jan-19 07:27:48

PMs salary is a bit crap when compared to the money she could esrn in industry and I doubt the power is worth the hassle quite honestly.

CherryPavlova Sat 12-Jan-19 07:30:28

Power (I suspect for her husband more than her) and a rather paternalistic, High church sense of duty and a true sense of irreproachability. Very, very second rate prep school headmistress at prayer.
Certainly not in need of the money. A couple of hundred thousand a year to the Mays is peanuts.

BertrandRussell Sat 12-Jan-19 10:50:10

It’s not money- she has loads. Power? Possibly- but she doesn’t have much of that either. Sense of duty? Possibly....

helpfulperson Sat 12-Jan-19 11:23:16

I often wonder this as well but I guess type of personality prepared to put the graft into becoming PM isn't a quitter.

It very easy to criticise politicians (and I'm usually in the front line for this) but realistically very few of us are prepared to step up to replace them.

PinkHeart5914 Sat 12-Jan-19 11:28:12

Maybe she has started it so she just wants to finish it? Not everyone gives up so easily and I think becuase she is a woman it is playing a part too as who knows when the next female PM will happen.

I wouldn’t want the job for all the tea in China, whoever had it would be hated

HoldMeCloserTonyDanza Sat 12-Jan-19 11:54:38

It is loyalty and duty, but to the Conservative party, and it’s best interests, not the country’s.

I expect she tries to convince herself different.

HopefullyAnonymous Sat 12-Jan-19 11:56:44

If it was me I’d just get signed off with stress until the whole sorry mess was over 😂

Idontbelieveinthemoon Sat 12-Jan-19 11:56:54

I agree with pp's that sense of duty plays a large part in why she stays. There's very little gain in terms of money and 'celebrity' if you like, but she seems the kind of person who'd see things out to the bitter end if she's committed to them. Unlike Cameron who fucked off to Nice when the pan got a little hot.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »