Talk

Advanced search

To think I'm worth more?

(34 Posts)
Gonnagetflamed Fri 11-Jan-19 21:45:46

I have 5dc aged 4-12. I gave up my education when I, unexpectedly, fell pregnant. My xdh didn't like family life so left me alone with 3 kids under 18 months. Consequently 2 further dcs who's 'father' couldn't deal with older dcs and amicable relationship with xdh.
I'm now in a position where all dc are in full-time education. Oldest 3 have contact with xdh, younger 2 only have my family.
I've signed up to The Open University to complete what I started 18 years ago.
So not to drip feed (or brag), I have 13 GCSEs, 4 A levels and had an offer for the only university that provided my chosen course at the time.
No-one is supporting me. My parents said 'we'll give it a month'
Xdh said 'well I'm not looking after them any more than I do (4 hours a week).
Ive asked no-one for help, my older kids are ecstatic.
I'm sure I'll be flamed but we live on benefits and I want more. For me and my kids. Aibu?

UhUhUhDennis Fri 11-Jan-19 21:47:26

YANBU
You go girl!

Neapolitanicecream Fri 11-Jan-19 21:51:30

Well done that’s above average qualifications already. You’ll be an inspiration to your kids they want to see you win this 👍

MamaLovesMango Fri 11-Jan-19 21:52:17

YANBU

you CAN do this!

mobyduck Fri 11-Jan-19 21:52:48

Go for it!

PenelopeFlintstone Fri 11-Jan-19 21:54:18

My parents said 'we'll give it a month' Wtf???
Good luck with it all, OP.

Neverender Fri 11-Jan-19 21:55:24

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

mummyyessy Fri 11-Jan-19 21:56:32

Good for you. Go for it. You're inspirational.

SylvanianFamiliesNurserySet Fri 11-Jan-19 21:57:05

Everyone else can fuck right off. Sure, it will be hard work but you can definitely do it.

People get scared by the idea that they have options, it’s so much easier to say,
“But I had no choice!”. They’d prefer you to stay in your box and then they don’t have to question their own lives.

Fuck ‘em.

SylvanianFamiliesNurserySet Fri 11-Jan-19 21:59:00

Also your xdh is (sorry) a loser. My 6yo has friends I see for more than 4 hours a week round at our house!

Florries Fri 11-Jan-19 22:00:01

Woohoo ! Good luck, OP!!!

Ellisandra Fri 11-Jan-19 22:00:56

How lovely that your older kids can be ecstatic for you at just 12! Raised ‘em right 👍🏻

With them all in full time school, you don’t need anyone’s help anyway. But what cocks they all are for not offering it, and cheering you on!

Good luck!

redexpat Fri 11-Jan-19 22:01:53

My mum started OU when I went to junior school and she had a little bit longer at home during the day. You keep at it flowers

Mokepon Fri 11-Jan-19 22:02:18

Your parents are horrible and your exh sounds like a peach. Waiting for you to fail.
Fuck them.
You are worth more.
Do what makes you happy and suits you.
It won't be easy but you know that already. It doesn't mean impossible, do your best and do it for you. Good luck!

lily2403 Fri 11-Jan-19 22:03:48

You totally got this. Great example for your children. I did this and my two went to uni too.

I’m sorry your parents aren’t supportive

flowers

PinkPanther38 Fri 11-Jan-19 22:13:21

Good luck OP! What are you going to do at uni?

ToPlanZ Fri 11-Jan-19 22:15:26

You'll be brilliant because you know you want to do this. Good luck!

blackteasplease Fri 11-Jan-19 22:24:07

You can do it OP! Well done for having the courage and determination to do this.

GrandmaJane Fri 11-Jan-19 22:27:59

I’ll send you some moral support - go for it, and win! Good luck!

I only have one child but I did my degree and pgce as a single parent. You can do it.

StoneofDestiny Fri 11-Jan-19 22:29:49

and when you succeed, have nothing to do with any of the naysayers.

ASAS Fri 11-Jan-19 22:32:45

The fact your kids are supportive tells you everything you need yo know about how you've raised them.

Fuck everyone else

Ozziewozzie Fri 11-Jan-19 22:33:22

If I lived near you, I’d help you (if you needed it)
My parents are pants at believing in me too. I have 5 kids, worked full time etc, did it all myself with not one person to help.

You are an excellent role model for your children. Maybe because you’re going so well it makes them feel weird. Who knows. flowers

Whatjusthappenedthere Fri 11-Jan-19 22:33:54

Do it for yourself and your children first. And then do it for the rest of us who can’t ( yet ) but wish you so much luck and good fortune. flowers

Gettingnowherefast Fri 11-Jan-19 22:34:32

Go for it!

Cheeringmeup Fri 11-Jan-19 22:37:09

You are absolutely not going to get flamed!
By going for your degree you are trying to improve your employment opportunities and increase your chances of a career that you love. I love that your kids are behind you (why wouldn’t they be?) there’s really no reason not to do what you’re planning, seems like a win/win.
I completely admire your drive and committment to achieve something better for your family - go for it - it will be hard work, but you can clearly do it! Huge supportive hugs x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »