Talk

Advanced search

To ask what is the shortest you stayed in a job?

(162 Posts)
Jax07 Fri 11-Jan-19 13:49:03

And why you left?

Mine was 4 months and I left because the commuting. (2hrs each way) I thought I could do it but I couldn't... it also didn't help that my boss was hard work.

Sparklingbrook Fri 11-Jan-19 13:50:42

I was in the same job for over 20 years. But while I was there someone started their new job at 9am, walked out at 11am and never came back.

CrookedMe Fri 11-Jan-19 13:51:10

One day!

I got a job as a Buyer. Got there, the office was silent for the entire day, not one word was spoken among the staff. And the 'buying' I had to do consisted entirely of me calling off stock from commodities already bought. There was about 20 minutes of work to do.

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Fri 11-Jan-19 13:51:18

I did one shift at WHSmith.

Enough said.

badlydrawnperson Fri 11-Jan-19 13:51:59

One day

CrispbuttyNo1 Fri 11-Jan-19 13:52:50

Half a day. I walked out and got in my car at lunchtime and didn’t go back 😂

DisposableNN Fri 11-Jan-19 13:53:12

One day. I was 19 and the boss was incredibly inappropriate so I just didn't go back.

Littlechocola Fri 11-Jan-19 13:53:45

4 hours.

Wheresmrlion Fri 11-Jan-19 13:54:15

I did one day at Next. Enough said!

StoatofDisarray Fri 11-Jan-19 13:54:20

I got the job, and quit during the phonecall when I was being told I'd got it. It was as a cinema usher in the mid-80s.

TheLightSideOfTheMoon Fri 11-Jan-19 13:55:31

4 hours.

That because I didn't have the balls to leave any earlier.

Polarbearflavour Fri 11-Jan-19 13:55:54

2 weeks
1 week

Obviously, they aren’t on my CV!

Witchofzog Fri 11-Jan-19 13:56:07

Half a day too. Twice when I was 19. It was cowardly and I should have told them I wasn't staying. I wouldn't do it now.

amusedbush Fri 11-Jan-19 13:57:06

I worked in a HORRIBLE retail environment for a few months after being made redundant and when I finally got another admin job I walked into the office, quit and never went back.

Last year a woman started a job in my office, went home one day about a month in and didn't tell anyone she wasn't coming back. The manager phoned her to ask where she was and she said, "I'm at home?" as if she didn't get why someone would ask grin

OwlBeThere Fri 11-Jan-19 13:57:11

I didn’t even last a full shift in one job. I fainted mid way through the day, my boyfriend came and got me and they told me not to bother coming back as I was ‘obviously’ on drugs. hmm
I wasn’t on drugs, I had undiagnosed endometriosis and had fainted from the paint but because my boyfriend was dressed in gothic type clothes and I had signs of the same they decided I was an addict.

GottenGottenGotten Fri 11-Jan-19 13:57:37

Two weeks.

I hated it. The job was ok but the people were cliquey pretty girls. I was offered another job, where I could start the following week or in 4 weeks due to holidays. I gave the boss the option, they shrugged their shoulders so I left at the end of the week. That was the Wednesday. They clearly liked me about as much as I liked them grin

One person said they couldn't understand why I was leaving as my new job paid less.

Yeah, no shitty work environment is worth £800 per year!

userschmoozer Fri 11-Jan-19 13:59:02

Half a day after being sexually harassed by the slimy boss.

Ariana30 Fri 11-Jan-19 13:59:53

3-4 hours at a retail store where I was being 'trained', I told the lady that I didn't think the job was right for me and I left...Didn't go back there ever again...

Lollypop27 Fri 11-Jan-19 14:00:36

One day 🙈 I was 17 and it was working in the recruitment agency. They knew I didn’t drive in the interview. When I turned up to work I got a bollocking that I didn’t drive and they expected me the next day to take taxis at my own expense to visit companies. I was on £4 and hour and the taxis were a minimum of £12 each.

EssentialHummus Fri 11-Jan-19 14:03:05

Three months. Horrible corporate environment but the rebate from hmrc the following year was great - I’d never been so well paid.

JennyOnAPlate Fri 11-Jan-19 14:03:07

4 days. It was an office where everyone worked in deathly silence and no one spoke to anyone else, even at lunch time. I went in on morning 5 and spontaneously told them i wasn't coming back.

LuluJakey1 Fri 11-Jan-19 14:05:45

I lasted 2 months as a Saturday girl at BHS. I hated it. It was torture and unsafe. I was expected to go from the shop floor into a huge warehouse at the top of the building which was dim and scary and empty of people. The shelves were about 6 shelves high with each shelf being about 1m apart. There were large ladders and I had to climb to the top shelf to collect bath mats, basket woven mats, bathroom stuff. It was awful. The uniform was nylon and horrible and the food in the canteen was all grey.

InSightMars Fri 11-Jan-19 14:05:59

One day. Back to work after a child-rearing hiatus and ex was laid off. Part-time in the cake department at a large supermarket (I’d applied for admin but took what was offered) only an hour in I knew. Putting whipped cream over over one cake layer and sandwiching it with another layer and putting it in a box and labeling the box, repeat...yeah, not for me. Supervisor was a miserable cow too. I stuck it until the end of the day. Spent the evening calling local pubs and hotels and got a bar job and went back to the supermarket the next day to hand in my uniform.

MissMalice Fri 11-Jan-19 14:06:28

One place was two days - went into early labour.

Another was at a government department. I lasted maybe a week. Desperate parents crying down the phone that they couldn’t afford to feed their children, management utterly devoid of any interest, unable to personally do anything effective. Awful.

Greenlightredlight Fri 11-Jan-19 14:06:31

A day. It was an office job with a hitler like supervisor sitting at the top of the room like a teacher. She timed how long people were at the loo, didn't allow any talking, and told off one girl for glancing out of the window. At five past five she barked 'you can go now' and everyone put on their coats and left.

I never went back. But twenty odd years later I was standing at a bus stop outside the building at about 5.15 and Miss Hitler came out, so she obviously still worked there.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: