Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to want to buy a 77k mileage car.

(107 Posts)
Roundtumble Thu 10-Jan-19 19:12:16

All advice appreciated!

It's a 2010 Alfa Romeo Mito
Will be my first car & I'm in love with it. Only thing is the mileage. My brother says I can find better for less money and less mileage. But I've been saving for a while now for this purpose & researched somewhat about mileage; the amount doesn't necessarily reflect the condition of the car.
I'll go for a test drive and possibly get it checked out by an independent garage. The car is beautiful imo, dealership says it's been kept in great condition, drives well etc but of course I don't want to waste my money on something that's not going to last long.
What do you guys think?

Pommes Thu 10-Jan-19 19:13:51

What is your budget? Mileage often depends on the type of car (BMW for example 'wears' miles better than a Ford) but yes, I wouldn't buy a car with that many miles on the clock.

Geminijes Thu 10-Jan-19 19:15:54

I think it depends on the price of the car. 9 years old with 77K miles is below the average. Does the car have full service history?

UserMe18 Thu 10-Jan-19 19:16:47

Of course mileage affects the condition of the car, it determines how much it's been used! It depends entirely on the price. I don't buy cars with that much mileage now, though I did when I was younger buying cheaper cars with the understanding I'd be needing to change cars sooner than if I'd spent more on a lower mileage car (or most likely) 77,000 isn't too bad, so as I say depends what they want you to pay for it and how much you yourself are planning on driving it as well of course. If you will be doing a lot you will get it to it's max quicker than if you went for something lower. Also, is it a petrol? Makes a difference between petrol and diesel.

SparklyLeprechaun Thu 10-Jan-19 19:18:15

A 77k Volkswagen, yes. A 77k Alfa Romeo, no, it will be a money pit.

Villanellesproudmum Thu 10-Jan-19 19:19:29

As another said it’s lower than average for the age of the car.

thedancingbear Thu 10-Jan-19 19:20:21

If an alfa's got to 77k then it's one of the most reliable examples.

My Alfa 147 was the best car I ever had - briefly. It basically disintegrated at around 60k and went to the scrappy.

Caveat emptor, OP.

Nacreous Thu 10-Jan-19 19:20:36

Alfas are gorgeous but not a car I would buy unless I liked mending cars and tinkering as a hobby. An Alfa with that many miles will be constantly in the garage and will eat money. Lovely lovely car, but I would go boring and get a Toyota or a Seat or something.

Mossyhill Thu 10-Jan-19 19:27:33

I’ve always bought high mileage cars but usually a diesel.
My last one I bought at 70k miles and it lasted me 9 years with 150k on the clock.

CallMeRachel Thu 10-Jan-19 19:27:48

It depends on the price and if it's diesel or petrol. Also 70k miles town / country driving wears worse on a car than 70k motorway miles, less wear and tear.

Diesel engines are built to last well over 100k Miles, petrol not so much.

Timing belts are usually done at 60k miles. If it has full service history I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. You can check the last MOT online to see if there was any advisories etc

Arnold Clark are usually the cheapest for second hand cars and give a minimum 3 month warranty.

Redtartanshoes Thu 10-Jan-19 19:30:48

I wouldn’t buy an Alfa with that many miles on. It will be a money pit and be expensive for maintainace.

Buy a golf. I bought one with 70k on, kept it 4 years, put another 60k on it and only lost £3k when I sold it.

Cost me hardly anything to fix/run

Outherelivingmybestlife Thu 10-Jan-19 19:31:11

It's below average for the age of car but it's not the kind of car that you hear of running and running so I would be cautious. I recently bought an Audi with 65k on the clock (yes yes, I know mumsnet folk hate Audi drivers) and didn't think anything of it as I know they do have a good rep for being able to run into the ground but, even still, I would think twice about 77k miles.

clary Thu 10-Jan-19 19:32:28

I don't know anything about Alfa Romeos.

I know this tho - modern engines, even petrol ones, if looked after, will do a, lot more than 100k. When our citroen Picasso had done 100k a mechanic said, ooh, you'll get 125 out if thus no worries. When we scrapped it last year it was 15 yes old and had done 190k, and that's not unheard if now.

Not sure I'd buy an Alfa tho tbh. How much us it op?

Rhubarbisevil Thu 10-Jan-19 19:37:06

My DH had a money pit, sorry, Alfa Romeo. It didn’t last long.

ginghambox Thu 10-Jan-19 19:37:30

A Mito is basically a Fiat Grande Punto in a party dress.

badlydrawnperson Thu 10-Jan-19 19:40:08

BMW for example 'wears' miles better than a Ford

Utter, utter nonsense

I've bought loads of high (and low) mileage cars over the years and the only difference in stuff like BMs is they cost more to buy and more to fix when they break. Even the German TUV figures show they aren't that reliable and they don't do all that well in the JD Power and other surveys.

All the talk about their quality is just badge snobbery and marketing so they can charge more.

77K is nothing if it's been properly serviced.

Cars are increasingly made from parts supplied by the same suppliers so you're only paying for the badge, like dishwashers.

I have just changed my old Jag at 277,000 miles, my Saab did 180K, my Passat 180 and our Alfa did 120K in a relatively short time although we did have it from new.

There is a lot of ill-informed snobbery on this thread IMHO.

potatoscone Thu 10-Jan-19 19:41:39

You could get a better car for your money.

Whisky2014 Thu 10-Jan-19 19:42:53

Yes you could definitely get better. Get your brother to help. It's not a good car tbh. It's plastic, light if you are in a crash you have fuck all protection.

badlydrawnperson Thu 10-Jan-19 19:44:13

t's not a good car tbh. It's plastic, light if you are in a crash you have fuck all protection.

Hilariously untrue

Usernumbers1234 Thu 10-Jan-19 19:45:11

Like someone said, 77k audi, bmw, vw, Ford any of the mainstream marques I’d have no problem.

An 77k mileage Alfa, no way on earth, cool cars, but if repair hassles are a concern I’d stay away from an Alfa

BikeRunSki Thu 10-Jan-19 19:46:06

An Alpha with 7 miles on it would be a money out. By 77k miles, I imagine everything will have been replaced!

badlydrawnperson Thu 10-Jan-19 19:46:29

Mito scores 5* (max) n Euro NCAP test for adult passenger safety BTW.

SausageSimon Thu 10-Jan-19 19:46:46

If it's what you really really want OP I'd say go for it, personally I only would if it had a full service history and new timing belt etc.
Alfa's have a bad history for breaking but my parents have had theirs for years now and absolutely love it!

Could you afford a £500-£1000 repair without causing financial trouble? Because if you had that behind you I'd definitely say just go for it if it's the car you'd love!

Chocolate1984 Thu 10-Jan-19 19:48:04

My brother always buys old cars with lots of mileage. Cars tend to have typical faults around certain milages so he researches the fault, makes sure it has been fixed & then buys it. His current car is an Audi which something fails around 68,000 so he bought one after that with the part replaced. His Audi was old when he bought it and he has had it at least 9 years.

Squirreltamer Thu 10-Jan-19 19:48:50

77k is nothing I do this in 2 years....

Whilst I change my car more often now. I had a car with 300k on it and it never missed a beat.

I’d be more worried about these Ford St’s etc purchase on finance and driven their allowed 3k a year and very hard.

But on the other hand the Mito was never considered a reliable car. It’s a Fiat Pinto which was never a good car. I bet if you look up the Mito in a reliability survey of its given production year it will be in the bottom 1/4

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »