Talk

Advanced search

to think that baby clothes sizes are huge!

(130 Posts)
GraysonCartier Thu 10-Jan-19 18:08:45

Out of curiosity... when did your baby/babies grow in to their ‘newborn’ clothes?

My DS is 11 weeks old and still fits in to a handful of ‘tiny baby’ clothes. Newborn stuff is still a little baggy (and looks very cute!). ‘Up to one month’ is huge.

He was 5lbs when he was born, so quite tiny. He’s my only baby however so didn’t feel small as it’s all I knew. Now however he's still small but much bigger than a newborn!

The first thing anyone says STILL when they meet him is ‘oh my god he’s tiny!!’ which is true (but I secretly get bored of hearing it...).

What’s your experience? Anyone else find that baby clothes are massive? I guess it's so they get longer use out of them smile

hammeringinmyhead Thu 10-Jan-19 18:12:00

I had a 5lb8oz baby and he wore tiny baby for about 5 weeks, newborn for about 3 weeks, and is now into 0-3 at 10 weeks. He's caught up to be fair and is knocking on 13lb which is 50th centile for his age. It depends on the baby though as mine has long legs.

0-3 is such a vague size!

whatsthepointthen Thu 10-Jan-19 18:13:39

None of my 4 ever fit into newborn so cant say I agree 😐😩

GraysonCartier Thu 10-Jan-19 18:13:44

@hammeringinmyhead my DS is 11 weeks and newborn clothes are still massive! He's 12lbs. He must be short and chunky!

hammeringinmyhead Thu 10-Jan-19 18:14:18

I should say yabu a bit just because 5lb8oz at birth was 0.2nd centile and they probably aim at average baby sizes.

GraysonCartier Thu 10-Jan-19 18:15:05

@whatsthepointthen I just can't imagine that! I hope you didn't buy had too many newborn outfits grin

loubluee Thu 10-Jan-19 18:15:51

Was he premature?

whatsthepointthen Thu 10-Jan-19 18:16:35

One of mine was 10lb 4 at birth, everyone said he looked like a 3 month old!

GraysonCartier Thu 10-Jan-19 18:17:55

@hammeringinmyhead very true, however my DS is 12lbs now which is much bigger than average newborn but newborn clothes still swamp him. Maybe I just have a weird shaped baby...

Soubriquet Thu 10-Jan-19 18:18:15

My ds was 5lb 3oz when born and dropped to 4lb 12oz after.

He was teeny. I actually had to buy prem nappies and clothes.

He needed tiny baby after he outgrew the prem stuff and then I think he was around 3 months old when he finally fitted into newborn

I think the problem is, newborns are so different in weight and length.

It’s impossible to predict the average size so they make them bigger to compensate for the bigger babies.

My dd was 15lb 13oz and she went straight into newborn as she was long. They were still quite big on her though

Marmite27 Thu 10-Jan-19 18:18:25

DD2 is 2nd percentile and still in 3-6 at 9 months old, though some 6-9 stuff still fits.

I have all DD1’s old stuff and either my husband can shrink clothes in a consistent manner or new stuff is a lot bigger when compared. I also was gifted a Lidl baby grow in supposedly 6-9 but it would nearly fit me!

One was 6lb 11oz and the other 6lb 13oz at 35+1 and 38+2 respectively.

GraysonCartier Thu 10-Jan-19 18:18:38

@loubluee no we just had a few complications and he was poorly. He was 5lbs at 38 weeks

DuggeesWooOOooggle Thu 10-Jan-19 18:20:22

YANBU.

My DS is 3 now and has tracked just under the 50th centile for the last 2.5 years. He's around average height too according to the charts. Clothes in his age size have always been far too big and he's taken ages to grow into them. I remember looking at the babygrows with enormous long legs and just thinking how is this ever going to fit my baby confused

Today he's wearing a fleece jumper from Sainsbury's that is age 1/2-2 years. Fits perfectly hmm. He's perfectly in age 2-3 trousers.

Cuddlykitten123 Thu 10-Jan-19 18:20:35

My oldest was quite small when she was born and has stayed petite. Baby grows were always baggy on body even when the length was too small! She always goes into the size as she reaches the upper limit I.e went into 6-9 at 9 months ish.

On the bright side you get a really decent wear out of clothes and shoes grin

upthewolves Thu 10-Jan-19 18:20:49

As pp have mentioned,your baby is smaller than average so will not be wearing the "correct" size for his age as they are sized for the average baby. My DS went straight into 0-3 (was over 8lbs) and has always worn a size or two bigger than his age. He's almost out of 2yr old clothes now at 14 months. He's just really tall! Sizes do vary store to store as well, like with adult dress sizes, ime. Don't worry about it, just put him in whatever fits!

whatsthepointthen Thu 10-Jan-19 18:21:47

Must just depend on the baby because my 20 month old cant fit into anything other than 18-24

Waggily Thu 10-Jan-19 18:22:30

You have tiny babies! My 5 week old (8lb 4oz at birth) is getting too long for 0-3 month baby grows. They’re Baggy at the sides but tight on the feet and legs. 0-3 dresses and trousers are still huge though.

Jinglesplodge Thu 10-Jan-19 18:23:44

It all completely depends on the size and shape of your baby! At 10lb7oz and 10lb4oz both of mine were straight into 0-3 months and didn't really catch down to the right clothes size until about 1 year old when they slimmed down and walked!

UnalliterativeGeorge Thu 10-Jan-19 18:25:07

If it helps I had a 5lb baby too and he's now 3 and the height of a 5 year old! He was small for ages then got to 1 and was in 1-1.5 stuff for the blink of an eye.

cadburyegg Thu 10-Jan-19 18:28:06

I’ve found them to be mostly true to size. My first was a small baby and was always a size behind in baby clothes (so didn’t really go into 9-12m until he was 1). My second is average and he’s usually in the “right” size for his age iyswim

IhaveaBigBum Thu 10-Jan-19 18:28:36

My now 10 week old DS was 7.9lbs at birth and was 8 days past his due date, so very average weight and he wore 1st month then he just seemed to start sprouting!
He is now 14lbs and wearing 3-6 months.
Most onesies fit his length ok but can be quite fitted around his chest and belly and oddly the sleeve on his left arm always seems a bit long... Maybe he has a short arm lol smile

Cookit Thu 10-Jan-19 18:29:05

Yes I think it’s shape more than anything as mine was sub 7lb and not in newborn for long just because his feet seemed to be stretching the feet bits and things.

Lost5stone Thu 10-Jan-19 18:29:13

DD was 10lb6 but still fit in up to 1 month (just!) But after that she was always in the next size up before she should have been until about 1. She is very tall though and to be honest I think they shrink with washing a lot. She's 2.5 now and still mainly in 18-24 and is 99.6th height and 90th(?) Weight so I'd say the sizes are generous.

PivotPivotPivottt Thu 10-Jan-19 18:29:41

My youngest was 5lb4 at birth and was in tiny baby for ages. About 3 months before she went into 0-3, 6 months before 3-6 and so on. Even now she's caught up in size but still fits into a 9-12 sleepsuit at 20 months (only realised when I put one on by accident a couple of weeks ago). She wears 12-18 vests and sleepsuits and a mixture of 12-18/18-24 clothes although the latter some items are too long. It also depends what shop I buy from.

My eldest was average weight when born and still found all baby clothes in her size too big for a while.

floribunda18 Thu 10-Jan-19 18:29:57

Vanity sizing starts early these days wink.

DDs were 8lbs and 9lbs 2 oz. They went straight into newborn and after a few weeks into 0-3 months clothes, DD2 probably after only a couple of weeks. She was long as well, 60cm. She still is long, 4'11" aged 9.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: