Talk

Advanced search

to just not "get" Luther?

(109 Posts)
OracleofDelphi Thu 10-Jan-19 15:21:59

Everybody raves about it and it never really caught my fancy. Last night H and I thought - well there must be something good about it, so put on 1st episode....

I just dont "get" it? It felt like Silent Witness for 21stC.... Anyone else feel like this? I think my fundamental problem is that I dont like Luther......

ReggieKrayDoYouKnowMyName Thu 10-Jan-19 15:23:43

I had the same issue. Everyone raves about it but I watched the first three episodes and felt very “meh” about it.

AnotherOriginalUsername Thu 10-Jan-19 15:26:31

YABU shock If nothing else, it's an hour of Idris Elba to drool over.

The whole series is on Netflix and BBC iPlayer - you'll need to start from the beginning, the recent series is a follow on

ginghambox Thu 10-Jan-19 15:26:47

Same here, it doesn't help that Idris Elba is such a poor actor.

AnotherOriginalUsername Thu 10-Jan-19 15:26:57

Oops pressed send too soon

The new series is a follow on in terms of the background between some main characters

NoFucksImAQueen Thu 10-Jan-19 15:27:34

iv watched the first season and still don't really "get" it. he's like a very angry child who has no self control.

Celebelly Thu 10-Jan-19 15:28:19

YABU. I would watch Idris Elba shouting at a pigeon in the street <3

I loved Luther. But then I like Silent Witness too (more the older ones than the new. I miss Harry and Leo).

easyandy101 Thu 10-Jan-19 15:30:07

It's shit

I don't get Idris Elba either tbh, stringer was probably my least favourite character in the wire

lubeybooby Thu 10-Jan-19 15:30:30

it's all so cliched and predictable. Boring and annoying.

MunchMunch Thu 10-Jan-19 15:31:14

Yanbu

I watched s1 and maybe one episode of s2. He never really seemed all that capable and everyone seemed to end up dead if he was on the job!

Mossyhill Thu 10-Jan-19 15:34:01

Yabu!!

Alloftheboys Thu 10-Jan-19 15:36:10

YABU I’d listen to Idris read the phone book 😛

Northernpowerhouse Thu 10-Jan-19 15:36:21

I loved the first 2 series. The whole storyline with Alice was great. Now I think it has just become a bit samey. Also wonder when he has time to take that coat to the dry cleaners smile

Blobby10 Thu 10-Jan-19 15:46:41

Feel like I ought to whisper this but .............I dont get the appeal of Idris Elber - at least, not in Luther!!! On the advert he did I melted!!!! I've watched series 1-3 so far - have to admit he does anguish very well grin

Tessliketrees Thu 10-Jan-19 15:47:07

I like Idris Elba but agree that Luther is wank. It makes not a fucking lick of sense most of the time. The writers seem to just try and think of the creepiest thing possible but can't be arsed thinking of a reason for the creepiness. The exposition is just a brief dump of monologue that usually defies logic. Luther himself is objectively an arse and nobody has any sort of consistent characterisation. Sorry to be ranty but DH watches it which means I end up being pulled in and having to sit biting my lip so as not to ruin it.

troubleswillbeoutofsight Thu 10-Jan-19 15:47:42

Idris is gorgeous.
This last series of Luther however was tosh

CandidCat Thu 10-Jan-19 15:51:13

YANBU
I watched most of series 1, but I like grown ups to behave like grown ups and solve crimes by their incisive reasoning, not throw tantrums and blunder about shouting a lot, so I drifted off it. Idris is pretty, and I was happy to see someone other than a white man in a title role which is partly why I tuned in, but it was too self indulgent for me.

Micah Thu 10-Jan-19 15:52:14

I can't get my head round the obvious.

DCI is management grade. DCI’s sit in offices and direct DS and DI’s workload. They do not run around doing ground level investigative work.

I watched a bit of the first series but iy was all too dramatised for me.

Amazonfromkent Thu 10-Jan-19 15:53:22

I don't care how gorgeous he is, the show is crap. Annoying, generic, full of really ridiculous 'twists', overacting, and just so pretentious. I hated it.

OracleofDelphi Thu 10-Jan-19 15:59:38

Hurrah! I thought there was something wrong with me.... but then I as distinctly Emperors New Clothes about The Wire. I just find Luther ... boring.....
NoFucksImAQueen (love the user name - Constance Hall fan perchance?) thats exactly what I said to DH.... I cant watch a whole series of him flipping his desk in disgust, and stomping about.

We did watch ep 1 series 1 but I just dont like him... or her... She was very Moriarty from Benedict Cumberbatches Sherlock

BookMeOnTheSudExpress Thu 10-Jan-19 16:02:48

I watched it all on Netflix but agree, it's so bloody generic.
Luther himself is a thug. A deeply unpleasant violent thug.
The Alice arc in the story was so ridiculous I almost stopped watching.

ThisWayDown Thu 10-Jan-19 16:03:24

I have found my people.

I watched the 1st season yonks ago when it was on. I quite like Idris Elba, I think he’s imminently watchable if not the best actor (as in I think he’s got huge screen presence), but the series hmm Talk about overblown melodrama. Completely ridiculous scenarios but not in a camper-up enjoyable way. It took itself far too seriously abc was up its own arse. I found the result completely underwhelming. Shite writing.

ThisWayDown Thu 10-Jan-19 16:05:47

Bloody typos. “CAMPED up”.
abc = “and”

Tessliketrees Thu 10-Jan-19 16:06:51

DCI is management grade. DCI’s sit in offices and direct DS and DI’s workload. They do not run around doing ground level investigative work

Or the fact that none of the suspects ever have a brief let alone an appropriate adult.

Tessliketrees Thu 10-Jan-19 16:08:41

It took itself far too seriously abc was up its own arse

Yes! This is the problem, be stupid and melodramatic or be realistic and gritty you can't have it at both fucking extremes. I can understand why people enjoy it, I don't understand the critical acclaim. It is objectively poor TV.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: