Talk

Advanced search

To ask if you're stockpiling for Brexit...

(188 Posts)
Arkos Thu 10-Jan-19 07:20:29

Genuinely curious question....
If you are stockpiling for Brexit are you a) making sure you've a free bottle of your favourite wine in just in case it's tricky to obtain and there might be some inconvenience or b) stockpiling enough essentials for months as you are really afraid people will starve.

And if it's b.... what measures have you taken/will take to protect your stash.

gimmeadoughnut123 Thu 10-Jan-19 07:23:35

I am gobsmacked that people are actually doing this. Hope it's not anyone that voted leave as the majority I know insisted that we could provide for ourselves by buying local, and didn't need imports.

Otterses Thu 10-Jan-19 07:27:10

Not stockpiling for Brexit as such, but stockpiling because of my impending job loss because of Brexit.

ThereWillBeAdequateFood Thu 10-Jan-19 07:29:43

Yes I’m tucking extras away. All stuff that will get eaten anyway if the worst doesn’t come to pass.

I’ve also lost my job recently. Waves at otters it’s shit isn’t it.

WhoGivesADamnForAFlakeyBandit Thu 10-Jan-19 07:30:54

Is there a list of stuff we need to buy?

LongDiscoClara Thu 10-Jan-19 07:31:40

I was seriously considering this.

Otterses Thu 10-Jan-19 07:37:42

Waves Back @ThereWillBeAdequateFood

Aye. Apparently they let about half the team go yesterday, and I'm heading in today to see if I'll be going the same way. Sorry you're in the same boat. It's crap.

On a plus note, I'm retraining to work with homeless people. At least they'll be plenty of those after Brexit hmm ... if not more than ever before.

HesterShaw21 Thu 10-Jan-19 07:42:24

There's lots of good info on the Preppers board. Look for the 2019 Brexit prep thread.

Rockbird Thu 10-Jan-19 07:45:38

I can barely organise myself to shop for the week, never mind Brexit!

BusterGonad Thu 10-Jan-19 07:48:42

Is this really a thing! The stock piling will cause the shortage not brexit! Can no one remember the petrol crisis?

NeverTwerkNaked Thu 10-Jan-19 07:50:04

Yes. Particularly because my children have allergies and so I am trying to make sure we have a reasonable supply of safe food in for them.

There is loads of good advice on the preppers board.
I am anticipating several weeks of chaos at best in the event of a no- deal brexit.

HesterShaw21 Thu 10-Jan-19 07:53:08

Also there's this thread on AIBU, has 600+ replies:

To be surprised that some friends are buying extra food because of Brexit?

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/amii_being_unreasonable/3472089-To-be-surprised-that-some-friends-are-buying-extra-food-because-of-Brexit

Sorry about your job losses otters and adequatefood, best of luck for the future!

Andjustlikethat Thu 10-Jan-19 07:58:40

Certain things we are yes, my son is autistic so I need to make sure I can provide food he will actually eat.

However we're not filling trolleys with stuff, more a couple of extra tins of beans or tomatoes, bag of bread flour etc.

RedSkyLastNight Thu 10-Jan-19 08:00:19

Depends how you define stockpiling. When there are threads about "how long could you survive off your store cupboard" there are always loads of people who say they don't like to have empty cupboards and could probably reasonably survive for 3-4 weeks and possibly longer. I don't live like that - I buy food for the week and at the end of the week I only have odds and ends like half a bag of flour and some condiments left. So my take on "stockpiling" is just to buy a couple of extra tins every time I go shopping, so that I'm building up a bit of a spare stock.

HowardSpring Thu 10-Jan-19 08:01:04

No.
No space anyway.

HesterShaw21 Thu 10-Jan-19 08:02:12

Re-read your first post otters, fingers crossed for good news for you at work (sorry I misread it).

BiddyPop Thu 10-Jan-19 08:03:09

No more than I normally have the cupboards stocked for winter and our manically busy lives ( where supermarket runs sometimes take a back seat to other things for a couple of weeks).

That stocking always includes wine, and a spare bottle of gin once we get below half on the current bottle!

cloudtree Thu 10-Jan-19 08:04:41

Both. But I frequented the peppers boards even before Brexit was a thing.

I have a good supply of regular food, toiletries and household items. I also have nice things such as wine, gin, tonic and chocolate.

We could probably go 3 months without needing to shop atm if we had to. I don't for one minutes anticipate that Brexit will cause no food at all to be available but I do think there will be shortages if we crash out and that there will in any event be significant price rises even if there is a deal. The stuff I have will mean that we can supplement what is available/affordable.

HowardSpring Thu 10-Jan-19 08:06:25

I worked in a supermarket in the seventies and remember the various panics. The sugar shortage was ridiculous with only 2lb being allowed per person. One man in his fifties shouted at me and made me cry - (I was in my teens), because I would not let him but twenty bags of sugar paying for each one at a time as if he was a new customer each time.

How long would it take to get through 40lb of white granulated? And does anyone really need that much anyway? Really? And yet the panic meant we sold out as soon as we had a delivery.

HowardSpring Thu 10-Jan-19 08:07:53

sorry - "would not let him BUY 20 bags" - typo

cloudtree Thu 10-Jan-19 08:07:53

The stock piling will cause the shortage not brexit!

This is absolutely wrong. ATM the just in time ordering systems are still operating without nay problems. If things get purchased now they will be restocked without causing significant problems. If people don't stock up and then panic mid March when they finally realise the logistical issues that are about to hit then thats when last minute stockpiling will add to the problem.

So the sensible and responsible thing to do is to stock up now if you can afford to.

Bedheadretention Thu 10-Jan-19 08:13:11

I have started getting in basic extras to store in the pantry, stuff like excess flour and yeast (esp for the breadmaker rather than buying extra loaves to freeze taking up too much space), UHT and powdered milk, tinned goods like baked beans, chopped tomatoes, soup and corned beef, bags of pasta, lentils and rice. Meat, cheese, butter and eggs for the chest freezer and certain OTC medication etc. I have started to just buy little bits here and there to put away purely because of a 'what if' rather than thinking all will be well, and we'll be fine scenario. If it does go pear shaped, at least I have extras to help carry us through, If these extras were an over reaction to a perceived threat and it comes to nothing and carries on as normal, I just won't have as much to buy after the event and it'll get eaten anyway.

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Thu 10-Jan-19 08:20:22

I have.

I've bought some extras of almost everything I consume on a regular basis that's long life - tins, packets, jars, frozen stuff, toiletries, cleaning stuff etc

I've paid particular attention to dog food as if I don't trust the government to feed me properly after brexit I definitely don't trust them to feed the dog 'and he needs good quality dog food.

cloudtree Thu 10-Jan-19 08:21:24

Re the final part of your question "what measures have you take to protect your stash" I think this is as result of watching too much "the walking dead". It is likely to take a significant collapse of society to have people forcibly taking food from the houses of normal people (although looting of shops could of course happen in certain places fairly quickly as we see on the news when people riot).

The general advice is don't tell people other than close family that you have a stockpile and don't store it all in the same place. This is more about people you know turning up on your doorstep expecting to be looked after though (and thus depleting your supply for your own family) than people getting violent.

Bedheadretention Thu 10-Jan-19 08:21:57

Also buying extra toiletries, wash powder, dish washing tablets and liquid (in case we run out of the tabs and the shops are chaotic)
I've just ordered myself a mooncup in anticipation of SHTF (but this is mainly because of the landfill issue rather than brexit, I've just had a kick up the arse to order one sooner)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: