Talk

Advanced search

To ask about sweet tables at weddings

(203 Posts)
Whereisthecoffee Wed 09-Jan-19 12:55:14

I love how the sweet section of buffets look at weddings . For anyone that hasn’t seen them it’s a load of jars filled with sweets with tongs and little bags to put them in. I really want one but I’m on a budget and also not wanting waste.
Do you or would you eat them at a wedding party?
If you had one at your own wedding was it eaten ?
Thanks

Littlechocola Wed 09-Jan-19 12:57:13

The only one that I have seen was left untouched.

3timeslucky Wed 09-Jan-19 12:57:32

I wouldn't. I don't particularly like sweets but I do like wine. And the two don't go together.

I've never been to a wedding where there has been a sweet table. If I saw one I'd presume it was because there were lots of kids at the wedding.

So a no from me.

flamingofridays Wed 09-Jan-19 12:58:00

youre going to get loads of middle class rich people posters saying they're naff.

However! I have been to 1 wedding where they had one and it was EMPTY by the end of the night.

We are having one at our wedding, but its a totally relaxed affair and we will have fed people plenty of savoury food also (before anyone accuses me of only feeding sweets!)

I think if its done right it looks fab and its an excuse not to bother with favours imo which nobody takes anyway!

(if you cant tell I love sweets and worked in a sweetshop through my entire teenage life so I LOVE IT)

TootTootPeanutbutter Wed 09-Jan-19 12:58:33

I'd love it but I'm a big kid and love pick and mix.

CRbear Wed 09-Jan-19 12:58:58

We had one at a significant birthday party and I was amazed at how popular it was. Use Facebook market place and charity shops to get the jars and rings, order a personalised set of bags for a few quid and sweets generally aren’t that expensive bought in bulk. I think they’re great fun. Seems to remind people of being kids!

CRbear Wed 09-Jan-19 12:59:35

Tongs not rings!

mummyof2boys30 Wed 09-Jan-19 13:01:39

The 3 weddings I've been 1 recently had them. All had lots of kids however. 2 of them run out of sweets and the 3rd was more or less just the right amount but she bought loads and I mean loads. I was bridesmaid and couldn't believe the amount that she went through

Whereisthecoffee Wed 09-Jan-19 13:01:55

Thanks for the responses! I’ve been torn between doing little bags with thank you stickers and having them as favours or having a help yourself type thing. Homemade fudge made by a family member is also a possibility

CalmDownPacino Wed 09-Jan-19 13:02:29

I'm getting married in a few weeks and we are having a sweet table. I know people say they are naff but I want one and the few kids that are coming do too!

Our budget is pathetically small so I am doing it myself. We got some coloured plastic buckets from ebay, or might have been amazon, with matching scoops and we are going to Costco, or wherever is cheaper, to get a few plastic tubs of sweeties which we will stick in the buckets. I got some small candy stripe paper bags off ebay which were less than £2 for 50. Job done grin

RhiWrites Wed 09-Jan-19 13:03:10

My sister did one. Almost all of it was wasted. Most adults didn’t have any. One kid went hard for them, the others weren’t allowed.

Don’t bother. My sis had to throw away heaps (they kind of melted into the jars and it wasted a hot day).

SunshineOutdoors Wed 09-Jan-19 13:04:27

Bit of a killjoy here but when my dc went to a wedding with one they kept sneaking off and getting more and more and then were a nightmare to get to sleep in the hotel. So I’d prefer a little bag with a finite amount for them. I’m certain my dc would disagree with this view though

TootTootPeanutbutter Wed 09-Jan-19 13:05:32

I forgot to add that my mother attended one recently. It was very popular. There was very little left at the end of the night, just some hard boiled sweets which didn't seem to go down as well as the gummy and chocolate sweets.

Friedspamfritters Wed 09-Jan-19 13:05:33

I agree they look lovely but also they might not be used. The only wedding I went to when there was one the table was only mainly touched by my (then 3 year old) son while I wasn't watching and he ended up puking it up in the car on the way home grin.

Home made fudge sounds like a really sweet (no pun intended) idea. I definitely wouldn't spend a fortune on party favours etc though as only a small fraction will actually be used.

coughingbean Wed 09-Jan-19 13:06:17

My centre pecies were large jars of sweets that were the same colour as my colour scheme, with ribbons around them.
We just told everyone to help themselves!

My bouquet also featured the same sweets!

Whereisthecoffee Wed 09-Jan-19 13:08:42

A lot to think about , Im slightly worrying about the outcome of my own dc going at them now grin Especially as grandparents will be watching them

EspressoPatronum Wed 09-Jan-19 13:08:44

My mum and Aunt did one themselves for my wedding. There was a bit left over, but it made nice gifts to people who had helped a lot on the day, and we kept the leftovers of our favorites to munch on ourselves.

There were a decent number of kids at our wedding, but plenty of adults helped themselves as well!

Cherries101 Wed 09-Jan-19 13:09:04

If you have them during your reception (including a candy floss stand) they will absolutely be eaten and enjoyed. Especially if you have kids there. Wouldn’t do them for the wedding breakfast

Nothisispatrick Wed 09-Jan-19 13:09:12

My sister did one and it’s was a hit. I spent most of the day by it as I was pregnant so couldn’t drink, then everyone took bags home with them.

Bambamber Wed 09-Jan-19 13:10:47

We had a sweet table that was emptied by the end of the night. Bought some cheap jars, tongs and bags off eBay and then bought big bags of sweets to fill them.

But we knew a lot of our guests eat sweets so knew it would appeal to them. I personally don't eat sweets so wasn't fussed, but it appeared to go down well

KC225 Wed 09-Jan-19 13:12:13

Yes please with knobs on.

But I am the who sees a lacey paper cone of sugared almonds and thinks RESULT

MirandaWest Wed 09-Jan-19 13:13:52

We had one at our wedding a couple of years ago. Mostly because DH and I love sweets and luckily other people liked it too (especially my godfather!)
There were some left afterwards so we continued to enjoy them for a little while

Shoxfordian Wed 09-Jan-19 13:14:11

We're not having one, or any favours, but if you like the idea and can afford it then have it

Pinkstars2501 Wed 09-Jan-19 13:15:30

I had one. It went down brilliantly! I don’t think we had much left over, and what we did have left was eaten by my husband after. We had about 10 kids at our wedding out of about 100 guests.

We got the jars from TK Maxx for £5 each at most. Bags, tongs and a little table sign thing from eBay. The sweets were cheaper because we went to a cash and carry, but there’s a few sites you can bulk buy. Just depends on what you want and how much of it.

NanooCov Wed 09-Jan-19 13:15:49

We had one at my wedding 6 years ago that I did myself and it was a big hit. We did have sweets left over which we donated to a youth club for their tuck shop. I went to a wedding last year and didn't get a chance to partake - had two kids to juggle - but it seemed popular again.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: