Talk

Advanced search

to think dp could have woken up to see dd2 open her birthday presents?

(25 Posts)
fryalot Thu 28-Jun-07 18:05:04

and blow out the candles on her cake?
and ride her new bike for the first time?

(although to be fair, he was up all night and has worked all day, so he has been about 36 hours without any sleep!)

She doesn't seem to have noticed, because he was physically in the room, but I feel so sorry for him that he missed it all, but we couldn't wait any longer.

Tried and tried to wake him up, and couldn't, so in the end I just left him.

PestoMonster Thu 28-Jun-07 18:07:50

Oh, what a shame! Still, at least your dd wasn't too worried. Was this today? It's my dd2's birthday tomorrow, will be 8. How old was yours?

sparklesandwine Thu 28-Jun-07 18:09:25

oh squonk thats I don't know what to say

I know you said he hasn't had a lot of sleep but surely a few minutes wouldn't have hurt - did you save any for her to open with him?

Hulababy Thu 28-Jun-07 18:09:44

His loss.

So long as your DD is happy, that is the main think.

Have to admit I would be annoyed with him though, but you tried and not fair on youur DD to wait longer.

fryalot Thu 28-Jun-07 18:10:40

she's 3 today!

I did try to save some so she could open them with him, but she found them and ripped them open anyway but I did try.

And it is not possible to wake him up when he is asleep - he sleepwalks, and doesn't even wake up to go to the loo.

grr

sparklesandwine Thu 28-Jun-07 18:14:44

at least she wasn't too fussed about it but i must admit it would break my heart too if that happened

There's not alot you can do now but if DP feels upset that he missed it too maybe he could nip out and get her a little something to open just from him

tuppy Thu 28-Jun-07 18:15:33

Maybe you'll think me out of line but tbh I'd have put her birthday "back" a day. If your dh had good reasons to be awake for so long at a stretch, then imo he deserved to sleep and probably in his shoes I'd not have been able to stay awake either.

Hulababy Thu 28-Jun-07 18:16:09

I think he could have spared 5 minutes to watch her open her presents.

j20baby Thu 28-Jun-07 18:16:13

oh cr*p squonk, i meant to pop her a card in the post yesterday....Sorry!!!

its a shame for him, but at least she didn't care! can she ride her bike?

fryalot Thu 28-Jun-07 18:17:14

tuppy - that may have been an option if I hadn't been saying to her all day "you can open your presents as soon as daddy gets home" because that was what he told me to say to her this morning.

Once he came home, I really couldn't tell her she wasn't having her birthday till tomorrow.

ds's birthday is coming up, and I won't be mentioning it at all until I know that we are all here, awake, compos mentis and ready

Aimsmum Thu 28-Jun-07 18:18:00

Message withdrawn

fryalot Thu 28-Jun-07 18:18:31

s'ok, j20 - don't worry yes, she loves her bike and can ride it ok - a bit wobbly but the stabilisers sort that out.

hula - couldn't get him to physically open his eyes. He's still asleep now - he doesn't know he's missed it!

TnOgu Thu 28-Jun-07 18:18:50

You should have piled all the presents in on top of him and allowed dd to climb up and open them.

Maybe that would have woken him.

Anyway, Happy Birthday to your dd, squonk.

Hulababy Thu 28-Jun-07 18:19:00

Could he not have stayed up after getting home, just to watch her open her presents?

TnOgu Thu 28-Jun-07 18:19:26

[He is actually alive is he squonk?]

tuppy Thu 28-Jun-07 18:22:52

Oh I see Squonk ! Well in that case I'd be a bit twitchily irritated tbh. Walk in the door...stay awake 5 more mins to see dd...then collapse in bed is what I'd have done.

fryalot Thu 28-Jun-07 18:27:21

tnogu - that's exactly what I did, until she complained that "daddy is snoring too loud mummy" and moved!

He hasn't gone to bed - is still on settee behind me.

I think he's still alive.... should I check? nah, I'll just leave him for now.

j20baby Thu 28-Jun-07 18:29:05

tell her happy birthday from us, and the kitty's send her big birthday kisses

sparklesandwine Thu 28-Jun-07 18:29:48

sorry squonk 'Happy Birthday' to your DD

fryalot Thu 28-Jun-07 18:29:57

will tell her - she is upstairs playing with her new Dora the explorer quilt cover!

sparklesandwine Thu 28-Jun-07 18:35:37

awww bless her how sweet

My DD's 5 and she loves Diego and wants to marry him because he's kind to animals how do i explain?

fryalot Thu 28-Jun-07 18:37:16

don't bother - tell her she can marry him when she's 16, and keep your fingers crossed that she goes off him between now and then

mylittlefreya Thu 28-Jun-07 18:41:35

That's so sad. I know he will have been tired, and all, but, I would be upset if I was you, squonk. Happy birthday to your dd.

mumto3girls Thu 28-Jun-07 18:44:26

happy birthday Squonks dd2 xxx

fryalot Thu 28-Jun-07 18:46:19

hi mumto3

still.... shouldn't grumble. If he was awake now, he'd be busy on the laptop. As he's still asleep, I can mumsnet

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now