Talk

Advanced search

To think this is bad. H and m sizing

(177 Posts)
Footloose80 Mon 07-Jan-19 12:22:15

Out shopping looking for a gift. Saw a top. Their sizing ranged for xs to xl. Person is size 10. Asked assistant what size is a 10 and told medium. So,a size 12 is clearly a large and 14 xl.
I know vanity sizing and all that but this person is at the bottom end of normal weight. How can that be medium?

Awwlookatmybabyspider Mon 07-Jan-19 13:02:19

Size 10 is hardly small.

Fuckin hell. How slim do you have to be for you not to be classed as over weight. Its no wonder we have an epideictic of eat/body dysmorphia disorders

TheFaerieQueene Mon 07-Jan-19 13:03:08

I’m a small size ten in modern clothes. I have just bought a vintage 1970’s dress for an event. It is a flowing gown and lovely. It fits me well, not tight but not big either. It is a size 16! I think that we have lost sight of how big we now are.

Til89 Mon 07-Jan-19 13:03:15

I’m a 12 and always wear medium in H&M! Their sizes are weird though, even the kids stuff.

Sparklesocks Mon 07-Jan-19 13:04:07

Haven’t h and m always been like this? I can wear about 3 or 4 different sizes in there depending on the cut. It was like that even when I was a teenager.

fuelledbystilton Mon 07-Jan-19 13:04:31

H&M sizing is bizzare, I'm currently wearing an XS jumper over a size 12 shirt, both H&M and both fit nicely. BMI 19. I sometimes take between a 6 and a 12 into changing rooms and anything could fit!

adaline Mon 07-Jan-19 13:06:09

Size 10 isn't tiny. I'm 5'8" and a 10-12 and I'm certainly not small. I'd say I was average, which I'd agree is about a Medium.

EmmaC78 Mon 07-Jan-19 13:06:10

I don't shop in h and m anymore due to their odd sizing. I am a 10-12 normally and couldn't fit in to a size 16 when I was in h and m last time.

WhoTookTheChristmasCookie Mon 07-Jan-19 13:06:13

I'm 5ft 2, a size 0/4 top and 23inch waist.
I'd have to buy kids sized jeans/leggings/skirts in H&M because the smallest size is too big.
Pisses me off to no end and it's only gotten worse with vanity sizing.
The shops where I can find nice, adult clothes that actually fit are becoming so few and far between it's beyond irritating.

MsMiaWallace Mon 07-Jan-19 13:06:23

Size 10 is hardly small
Wtf?
I thought the average size is a 14?

Most people would kill to be a size 10!

Ginkythefangedhellpigofdoom Mon 07-Jan-19 13:07:23

To be honest clothes sizes are irrelevant there is no consistency I'm anything from an m to a xl!

I do wish that either there was an official rule so that all sizes are consistent (although that doesn't cater to different body shapes!)
Or we start using men's sizing inches for waist, chest, leg length etc.

SirVixofVixHall Mon 07-Jan-19 13:07:38

A ten did used to be the bottom end of normal. An 80s or early 90s ten was like a modern 8 or even six in some brands. My 14 year old dd tried on some old trousers of mine the other day, 1990, size 10. They fitted her, and she is a size 4. They are slightly stretchy so were designed to be a snug fit, but they wouldn’t fit anyone above a current size 6.
There is more size variation now from brand to brand, so you really just have to buy what fits and ignore the label.
I am a size 12 now in most places, but I definitely have not gone up only one dress size..I am much fatter and bigger than I used to be.

SouthernComforts Mon 07-Jan-19 13:08:01

Size 10 should be medium, in my mind. 6-8 is slim, 10 average etc.

Thesnobbymiddleclassone Mon 07-Jan-19 13:09:30

H&M have never been great at sizing and even now since their improvements, it can still be hit and miss. I comfortably fit in a 10 in most shop, yet in their and topshop, I end up having to go up a few sizes as they make everything so narrow and my post-childbirth hips can't cope!

MadameButterface Mon 07-Jan-19 13:09:48

all sizing is wackola nowadays. you just have to wear whatever fits how you want it to fit. it's not a problem, it literally is just a randomly assigned number as far as I can tell.

Thurmanmurman Mon 07-Jan-19 13:11:23

Ambereerie. Are you in the US? If so then UK size 10 is equivalent to US size 4. If not then you have some strange ideas about what constitutes small.

SirVixofVixHall Mon 07-Jan-19 13:12:12

I really don’t think a ten is average though.

adaline Mon 07-Jan-19 13:14:42

Wtf? I thought the average size is a 14?

But average doesn't mean small - it means average. A size 14 is overweight in most cases.

eightoclock Mon 07-Jan-19 13:16:15

It depends on your bone structure as well. I know plenty of people height about 5 ft 4 who fit in a size 10 or even 8 but are clearly overweight with rolls of fat etc. But if you have wide shoulders and hips or are tall you will need a bigger size even though your bones stick out.

H and M have always had odd sizes though.

MissMaisel Mon 07-Jan-19 13:16:21

H&Ms sizes are mental. I'm a 6 most places (Primark's XS swims on me) but sometimes 10-12 in H&M!

RosemarysBabyDress Mon 07-Jan-19 13:16:33

How slim do you have to be for you not to be classed as over weight.

well, 10 and under!
12 is big I am afraid, we have completely lost size of what used to be "normal". We have supersized everything.

Sizes are only one side of the story, height and muscle mass make a different. Big bones and slow metabolism are bollocks though.

Marilyn would be a 4 today...at most.

TwiceMagic Mon 07-Jan-19 13:17:11

I thought the average size is a 14?

The average (whichever measure of central tendency you want to use most likely) in a population where most people are overweight or obese is not going to tell you nothing about how ‘big’ or ‘small’ people actually are. 2/3 of women my age in this region are overweight or obese. That makes the average on the (objectively) large side.

There is a big issue that as the average body gets bigger we start to think that ever larger people are ‘tiny’. I get accused (and the tone is often that of accusation) of being tiny. I’m not. Really not. I’m 5’6, 9 st 1lb and have 26” waist. As human bodies go, that should really be an unremarkable set of proportions. And I definitely should not be putting on size 8 leggings and thinking they are a bit baggy (and lamenting the lack of a size 6 in the shop).

SurfnTerfFantasticmissfoxy Mon 07-Jan-19 13:17:53

I ALWAYS have to try on in H&M. I'm a 10-12 and can be anything from a small to a large depending on the cut and fabric etc.

adaline Mon 07-Jan-19 13:19:17

well, 10 and under! 12 is big I am afraid

But that doesn't mean anything @RosemarysBabyDress because there is no such thing as a universal size 10. I own clothes that range between 8 and 14, XS and L and they all fit me fine.

Size 10 is just a random number assigned to a size of clothing by the manufacturer. It doesn't actually mean anything in terms of health.

HotInWinter Mon 07-Jan-19 13:19:55

Considering I can wear at 16 at obese, a 14 at overweight, and a 12 as I head into normal weight, I'd say as 10 as medium is as it should be.

NotGenerationAlpha Mon 07-Jan-19 13:21:27

I don't understand you either. I'm a size 6/8 and I have a BMI of 20. That's surely is the definition of the lower end of normal? If 6 is XS, then 8 is S and 10 is M.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »