Talk

Advanced search

To think this is bad. H and m sizing

(177 Posts)
Footloose80 Mon 07-Jan-19 12:22:15

Out shopping looking for a gift. Saw a top. Their sizing ranged for xs to xl. Person is size 10. Asked assistant what size is a 10 and told medium. So,a size 12 is clearly a large and 14 xl.
I know vanity sizing and all that but this person is at the bottom end of normal weight. How can that be medium?

Bambamber Mon 07-Jan-19 12:26:25

H+M sizing is well known to come up small against other brands

3WildOnes Mon 07-Jan-19 12:31:26

At a size 10 I’m not at the bottom end of normal weight, my bmi is 22 as a size 10 so pretty much in the middle. I’m a size 6 at the lower end of my healthy weight range.

lastqueenofscotland Mon 07-Jan-19 12:33:28

IM a size ten and really quite tall and most definitely not at the bottom end of normal weight confused

Petalbird Mon 07-Jan-19 12:35:06

Um that's normal I'm a 6 which is a xs in most shops other than primark which has been altered to suit people that think 10 is small....

ambereeree Mon 07-Jan-19 12:36:12

Size 10 is hardly small.

AgathaMisty Mon 07-Jan-19 12:37:18

I wouldn't consider size 10 the bottom end of normal weight. One thing is the national average size (the UK is known for having the highest levels of obesity in Europe), another thing is what is considered a normal, healthy size for someone who eats well and exercises.

Like H&M, I would consider the following sizes correct:
XS - 6
S - 8
M - 10

YeOldeNameChange Mon 07-Jan-19 12:37:18

H and M is small in certain styles. I’ve got a dress from there in a 16. It’s so frustrating never being able to just pick up an item of clothing and just know it will fit
I’m probably a true 12-14 but I’m an 8-10 in vanity sizing (most shops eg M and S, Matalan) which is stupid cos if I’m an 8, what size is an actual thin person?!

Runningbutnotscared Mon 07-Jan-19 12:38:01

It’s more likely that 8-10 is a medium, 12-14 is a large and 16-18 is an xl.

I also have a bmi of 22 and am wearing H&M jeans size 14, and a phase 8 top size 10. Sizes is shops mean nothing. Wear what fits.

barberousbarbara Mon 07-Jan-19 12:39:38

According to their website for tops and blouses size S in H&M is a 10-12, a medium is 12-14, a large is 16-18. H&M are known for the huge sizes difference.

I wear a 8-10 in most shops and have to wear a 10-12 (S) in H&M in tops probably because of my massive boobs

ErickBroch Mon 07-Jan-19 12:39:58

I am a 12-14 and in H&M I am luckly if I can fit my leg in a 16

Cookit Mon 07-Jan-19 12:40:32

I agree with PPs. 6 is XS, 8 is S and 10 is M.

10 is not and has never been the bottom end of normal. It’s a perfectly healthy size to be but fairly average at least fairly average amongst a younger demographic who are more likely to shop at H&M.

EdithWeston Mon 07-Jan-19 12:42:22

Names of sizes are utterly meaningless these days - they basically have been since deregulation back in the 1980s

So yes, it can mean 'medium'

I was a size 12 in the 80s. I'm now a 6, sometimes 8. I'm the same weight.....

10 means medium these days, and indeed can be quite large - waist would usually be at least 28 inches. It used to be <26

TwittleBee Mon 07-Jan-19 12:42:38

Do not even get me started on H&M sizing!

I am a size 6 in most Highstreet shops but in H&M I can range from size 4 to size 14! The other day I tried a dress on marked S but it came up massive! So I tried an XS and I couldnt even get my arms through!

I can only assume there are no decent quality checks nor standardised sizing in the store

IsobelKarev Mon 07-Jan-19 12:45:20

I wouldn't consider size 10 the bottom end of normal weight.

That depends on the person's figure, surely? I was only ever a size 8 in the majority of shops when I was "officially" underweight.

That said, I have no problem with size 10 being a medium. I'd imagine the majority of people are between size 8 and size 12 when a healthy weight. Which puts 10 right in the middle.

araiwa Mon 07-Jan-19 12:45:41

Can someone explain to me why size 8, size 12 etc even exist

As a measurement that can vary from store to store, what use is it?

Everyone would go nuts if any other measurement was so imprecise. Buy 500g of pasta in tesco and its half the amount of 500g from morrisons

TwiceMagic Mon 07-Jan-19 12:46:55

I find the sizing in H&M almost random. Even in the same iyemof clothing. I sometimes suspect they randomly allocate labels to clothes. 😂

I’d expect 10 to be a small generally. When I was a teenager nowhere sold anything in size 6. Size 8s weren’t that common other than in shops for young people either.

I do agree that vanity sizing in some shops is absurd. I bought some size 8 gym leggings in Sainsbury’s last week and they’re actually a bit baggy. And I had to buy a size 6 vest in next before Christmas. This is utterly ridiculous. What are the actual tiny people supposed to do?

I guess it depends on your frame/body shape, but personally size 10 is nowhere near the bottom of my healthy BMI range. In fact, I could be overweight on BMI and wear a 10 in some shops. Right at the bottom of my healthy weight range (and I’m not close to that, more like a BMI of 22) and I don’t know where I’d actually shop to find clothes that fit.

DeeStopia Mon 07-Jan-19 12:52:46

Sizing is bloody nuts isn't it. I do think it has a lot to do with build too. I was stunned last week when I checked my BMI and realised that I'm underweight- I'm a size 12/14! (ED is bad at the mo and I do have loose skin, but still...)

MyFamilyAndOtherAnimals1 Mon 07-Jan-19 12:56:45

It really is bloody nuts! Last year I bought two tops on the same day- both in the same sort of style - one was an XS and the other was a L - ridiculous!

OhLookHeKickedTheBall Mon 07-Jan-19 12:58:44

I'm an 8-10, BMI around 22. H&M have sizing all over the place. Their Kids leggings are great though in 15-16 or 17+ i think they're the sizes and fit me far better than any of their adult ones.

Littlechocola Mon 07-Jan-19 13:00:14

Vanity sizing is ridiculous. I rely on children’s clothing a lot of the time because xs or 6 isn’t actually that xs (especially in places such as Next). I rarely go shopping because it’s disappointing.

Roomba Mon 07-Jan-19 13:00:55

I am usually a size 8 or 10 in most shops, depending on clothing style. But I own H&M clothes in every size from size 2 and XS right up to size 16. Their sizes are so utterly random anyway that I wouldn't worry what they officially class as medium.

Branleuse Mon 07-Jan-19 13:01:01

sizes mean fuck all. Peoples bodies are shaped differently for a start, especially womens bodies. Also most high street stores the sizing is inconsistent so you at least have to have a good look to see if it will fit, if not try it on. If its for somebody else, then def dont buy from h&m as theyre pretty inconsistent. No point being annoyed about it. Its just how it is.
When I was a size 8, i had a size 16 dress from there which fit beautifully. I also have a dress from there in a small, that is baggy on me even though im a size 14 now.
Tops and cardigans its often more about shoulder width.
Jeans, I dont fit into ANY jeans from h&m because of my hips. They either fit me at the waist and not the hips, or vice versa

Icypop Mon 07-Jan-19 13:02:08

Dont buy things in h&m without trying on. I once bought a pair of trousers in a 14 they were snug. I was an 8-10 at the time!!!

Bluntness100 Mon 07-Jan-19 13:02:17

I don't really understand why you have an issue with this. What's wrong with being a medium. Would you rather it was a small or an extra small? If so what would you classify a size eight and a size six?

Awwlookatmybabyspider Mon 07-Jan-19 13:02:19

Size 10 is hardly small.

Fuckin hell. How slim do you have to be for you not to be classed as over weight. Its no wonder we have an epideictic of eat/body dysmorphia disorders

TheFaerieQueene Mon 07-Jan-19 13:03:08

I’m a small size ten in modern clothes. I have just bought a vintage 1970’s dress for an event. It is a flowing gown and lovely. It fits me well, not tight but not big either. It is a size 16! I think that we have lost sight of how big we now are.

Til89 Mon 07-Jan-19 13:03:15

I’m a 12 and always wear medium in H&M! Their sizes are weird though, even the kids stuff.

Sparklesocks Mon 07-Jan-19 13:04:07

Haven’t h and m always been like this? I can wear about 3 or 4 different sizes in there depending on the cut. It was like that even when I was a teenager.

fuelledbystilton Mon 07-Jan-19 13:04:31

H&M sizing is bizzare, I'm currently wearing an XS jumper over a size 12 shirt, both H&M and both fit nicely. BMI 19. I sometimes take between a 6 and a 12 into changing rooms and anything could fit!

adaline Mon 07-Jan-19 13:06:09

Size 10 isn't tiny. I'm 5'8" and a 10-12 and I'm certainly not small. I'd say I was average, which I'd agree is about a Medium.

EmmaC78 Mon 07-Jan-19 13:06:10

I don't shop in h and m anymore due to their odd sizing. I am a 10-12 normally and couldn't fit in to a size 16 when I was in h and m last time.

WhoTookTheChristmasCookie Mon 07-Jan-19 13:06:13

I'm 5ft 2, a size 0/4 top and 23inch waist.
I'd have to buy kids sized jeans/leggings/skirts in H&M because the smallest size is too big.
Pisses me off to no end and it's only gotten worse with vanity sizing.
The shops where I can find nice, adult clothes that actually fit are becoming so few and far between it's beyond irritating.

MsMiaWallace Mon 07-Jan-19 13:06:23

Size 10 is hardly small
Wtf?
I thought the average size is a 14?

Most people would kill to be a size 10!

Ginkythefangedhellpigofdoom Mon 07-Jan-19 13:07:23

To be honest clothes sizes are irrelevant there is no consistency I'm anything from an m to a xl!

I do wish that either there was an official rule so that all sizes are consistent (although that doesn't cater to different body shapes!)
Or we start using men's sizing inches for waist, chest, leg length etc.

SirVixofVixHall Mon 07-Jan-19 13:07:38

A ten did used to be the bottom end of normal. An 80s or early 90s ten was like a modern 8 or even six in some brands. My 14 year old dd tried on some old trousers of mine the other day, 1990, size 10. They fitted her, and she is a size 4. They are slightly stretchy so were designed to be a snug fit, but they wouldn’t fit anyone above a current size 6.
There is more size variation now from brand to brand, so you really just have to buy what fits and ignore the label.
I am a size 12 now in most places, but I definitely have not gone up only one dress size..I am much fatter and bigger than I used to be.

SouthernComforts Mon 07-Jan-19 13:08:01

Size 10 should be medium, in my mind. 6-8 is slim, 10 average etc.

Thesnobbymiddleclassone Mon 07-Jan-19 13:09:30

H&M have never been great at sizing and even now since their improvements, it can still be hit and miss. I comfortably fit in a 10 in most shop, yet in their and topshop, I end up having to go up a few sizes as they make everything so narrow and my post-childbirth hips can't cope!

MadameButterface Mon 07-Jan-19 13:09:48

all sizing is wackola nowadays. you just have to wear whatever fits how you want it to fit. it's not a problem, it literally is just a randomly assigned number as far as I can tell.

Thurmanmurman Mon 07-Jan-19 13:11:23

Ambereerie. Are you in the US? If so then UK size 10 is equivalent to US size 4. If not then you have some strange ideas about what constitutes small.

SirVixofVixHall Mon 07-Jan-19 13:12:12

I really don’t think a ten is average though.

adaline Mon 07-Jan-19 13:14:42

Wtf? I thought the average size is a 14?

But average doesn't mean small - it means average. A size 14 is overweight in most cases.

eightoclock Mon 07-Jan-19 13:16:15

It depends on your bone structure as well. I know plenty of people height about 5 ft 4 who fit in a size 10 or even 8 but are clearly overweight with rolls of fat etc. But if you have wide shoulders and hips or are tall you will need a bigger size even though your bones stick out.

H and M have always had odd sizes though.

MissMaisel Mon 07-Jan-19 13:16:21

H&Ms sizes are mental. I'm a 6 most places (Primark's XS swims on me) but sometimes 10-12 in H&M!

RosemarysBabyDress Mon 07-Jan-19 13:16:33

How slim do you have to be for you not to be classed as over weight.

well, 10 and under!
12 is big I am afraid, we have completely lost size of what used to be "normal". We have supersized everything.

Sizes are only one side of the story, height and muscle mass make a different. Big bones and slow metabolism are bollocks though.

Marilyn would be a 4 today...at most.

TwiceMagic Mon 07-Jan-19 13:17:11

I thought the average size is a 14?

The average (whichever measure of central tendency you want to use most likely) in a population where most people are overweight or obese is not going to tell you nothing about how ‘big’ or ‘small’ people actually are. 2/3 of women my age in this region are overweight or obese. That makes the average on the (objectively) large side.

There is a big issue that as the average body gets bigger we start to think that ever larger people are ‘tiny’. I get accused (and the tone is often that of accusation) of being tiny. I’m not. Really not. I’m 5’6, 9 st 1lb and have 26” waist. As human bodies go, that should really be an unremarkable set of proportions. And I definitely should not be putting on size 8 leggings and thinking they are a bit baggy (and lamenting the lack of a size 6 in the shop).

SurfnTerfFantasticmissfoxy Mon 07-Jan-19 13:17:53

I ALWAYS have to try on in H&M. I'm a 10-12 and can be anything from a small to a large depending on the cut and fabric etc.

adaline Mon 07-Jan-19 13:19:17

well, 10 and under! 12 is big I am afraid

But that doesn't mean anything @RosemarysBabyDress because there is no such thing as a universal size 10. I own clothes that range between 8 and 14, XS and L and they all fit me fine.

Size 10 is just a random number assigned to a size of clothing by the manufacturer. It doesn't actually mean anything in terms of health.

HotInWinter Mon 07-Jan-19 13:19:55

Considering I can wear at 16 at obese, a 14 at overweight, and a 12 as I head into normal weight, I'd say as 10 as medium is as it should be.

NotGenerationAlpha Mon 07-Jan-19 13:21:27

I don't understand you either. I'm a size 6/8 and I have a BMI of 20. That's surely is the definition of the lower end of normal? If 6 is XS, then 8 is S and 10 is M.

slappinthebass Mon 07-Jan-19 13:23:58

H&M have actually entirely changed all their sizing very recently. So they no longer come up small compared to other high street stores. They do free (usually next day) delivery on their website and there were notices to say order your usual size not what you usually size up to. I've tests the theory and it does seem to be accurate now. Personal I'd expect in any store a XS to be a 4-6 a S a 6-8 a M a 10-12 L a 14-16 an XL a 16-18 XXL 18-20 would you not?

tinysnickersaremyfavourite Mon 07-Jan-19 13:24:17

I tried on 15 pairs of H+m jeans all allegedly the same size. Some huge, some I couldn't get past my thighs, two a decent fit.

Welshwabbit Mon 07-Jan-19 13:24:27

I am towards the upper end of "healthy" BMI, short and wear a size 10 in most shops. I find H&M sizing pretty random, but insofar as there is a pattern I tend to find it smaller than other shops rather than larger. Here's a link to their size chart which suggests that 10 would be within their small range, which fits with my general experience: www2.hm.com/en_gb/customer-service/sizeguide/ladies.html

Welshwabbit Mon 07-Jan-19 13:26:39

Also interestingly that chart suggests that H&M have recently changed their sizing so that a UK 10, previously a European 36 is now a European 38 (which was previously a UK 12). So explicit acknowledgement of the shift in sizes which is clearly also going on elsewhere.

explodingkitten Mon 07-Jan-19 13:26:58

30 years ago a size ten was a medium and a 12 was large and 14 had very low stock at H&M (and other high street stores) due to being extra large. I know, I was a 12-14 back then and I was overweight and needed extra large clothing. People really have become a lot bigger.

SirVixofVixHall Mon 07-Jan-19 13:27:15

That image with Twiggy has US sizing. My dd is Twiggy’s size but has a slightly smaller waist, she fits a size 4 .
Marilyn Monroe was very slim and small framed, her weight went up and down a bit with pregnancies and miscarriages but she had a tiny waist, and ribcage. Because her shape was naturally hourglass it is assumed that she was bigger than she actually was.
Our body shapes have changed, very few people now have the small bones of the pre and just post war generation.

TwiceMagic Mon 07-Jan-19 13:30:58

Yes that’s an explicit acknowledgement that uk sizes have shifted.

But I’m still not convinced that H&M clothes will be anything other than random. Changing the size you’d usually order only works when the sizing is consistent. But with H&M it’s more of a ‘guess what size will fit in this item’ challenge.

Mummylife2018 Mon 07-Jan-19 13:31:41

@ambereeree Are you in the USA? Or UK? If UK then you have issues.......

megcustard Mon 07-Jan-19 13:32:09

A 10 isn't small nowadays. I've put on some weight, BMI currently 26, and can still fit into most of my size 10 clothes.

Curiously I was also a 10 25 years ago when I was over 2 stone lighter!

Mummylife2018 Mon 07-Jan-19 13:33:36

@RosemarysBabyDress Slow metabolism is NOT bollocks as you so eloquently put it! 🤦🏼‍♀️ Where did you get your medical degree?! 🤨

TheFaerieQueene Mon 07-Jan-19 13:33:53

Body shapes only change in the space of a generation because of what covers them - fat!

Oliversmumsarmy Mon 07-Jan-19 13:35:18

In the 70s and 80s it used to be

32” bust 22”waist and 34” hips were a size 10.

add 2” to everything for a size 12

or take away for a size 8

I have size 8 clothes from back then that dd, size 2 struggles to fit into.

Therighthonourable Mon 07-Jan-19 13:36:31

Why do you care? One minute some larger ladies are saying " I love my curves " and the next minute they are worked up that they had to buy clothes in a bigger size! If you truely loved your curves the size wouldn't matter.

Such a contradiction.

yumyumpoppycat Mon 07-Jan-19 13:37:58

agree sizes in h&m are random - more so than for any other shop I have used

fruitbrewhaha Mon 07-Jan-19 13:38:36

Nope not bad.

I think it's bad that we've got so much fatter. So much wrong with a world where governments can be lobbied to fudge the science behind sugar and corn syrup, and where people eat to feel happy.

RosemarysBabyDress Mon 07-Jan-19 13:39:14

Mummylife2018
I have yet to meet one medical professional who accept that "slow metabolism" is a valid excuse for being fat. You are fat because you eat too many calories. Simple.
No one has found a skeleton with "big bones" either! I think bollocks is a good way to describe the theory.

gamerwidow Mon 07-Jan-19 13:39:29

I don’t mind a 14 being XL In HM it just means that in the range of sizes they stock it’s at the top end. I do mind the inconsistency of sizes in HM I don’t want to have to try on everything from an 8 to a 16 to find out what size fits for a particular style.
fwiw I’m a 14 and I’m definitely overweight (not obese but still not a healthy weight either)

thecatneuterer Mon 07-Jan-19 13:39:32

H&M changed their sizing last year to make it more in line with the vanity sizes in other shops. So the 12 became a 10, the 10 an 8, and so on. They flagged it up on their website. I'm not sure if they introduced a new size 4 for the truly slim.

Anyway by that standard 10 is very certainly 'medium'.

DontMakeMeShushYou Mon 07-Jan-19 13:40:42

How strange! I'm a size 8-10 and I am definitely a size 'xs' in H&M, although maybe occasionally an 's' in trousers.

anniehm Mon 07-Jan-19 13:42:54

H&M comes up a lot smaller than most shops - I'm an 18 there but a 12 in M&S for dresses. Tbh I don't really shop for me there as the fit isn't suitable for women who are shaped like women (eg have a bust over an a cup)

ambereeree Mon 07-Jan-19 13:43:15

As PP have also pointed out size 10 used to be small. It's fairly average now.

thecatneuterer Mon 07-Jan-19 13:44:24

H&M comes up a lot smaller than most shops Not anymore. They changed their sizing last year. See my post above.

BlackPrism Mon 07-Jan-19 13:44:52

I'm a 6-8 and not even particularly thin. I buy a S in most places but M in others... a size 10 should be the middle of healthy and a 12 towards the top.

Your mind is skewed.

wijjy Mon 07-Jan-19 13:45:42

RosemarysBabyDress

> No one has found a skeleton with "big bones" either

Yes they have. Robust is the expression used.

But you are right about slow metabolism.

whatsthepointthen Mon 07-Jan-19 13:46:03

Ive always known size 12 to be considered “large”

IrmaFayLear Mon 07-Jan-19 13:48:12

Concur with Oliversmumsarmy about sizing.

Back in the late 70s/80s when I was going in teenage shops, there weren't any size 8s. They were only in farty old people's ranges like Country Casuals. I weighed 7 stone and was size 10. Now I weigh 8 stone and have just purchased a pair of size 2 trousers. Ridiculous. Size 10 is enormous on me in most shops.

AlaskanOilBaron Mon 07-Jan-19 13:49:26

H&M sizing is pretty small, but it's for teenagers. No surprise.

Lockheart Mon 07-Jan-19 13:50:29

Does it really matter what number or letter is on the label? I look at the item and if I’m not sure I try it on. I’ve got clothes in my wardrobe ranging from a 6 to a 12. I couldn’t fit into a size 10 dress this morning (slight excesses of Christmas) but I’m sat at my desk now wearing a size 8. They make no sense so why bother trying?

Forget the number, it doesn’t change your body shape. If you have to buy a 6 in one shop and a 10 in the one over the road it doesn’t mean you’ve put on several lbs by crossing the street.

MissMaisel Mon 07-Jan-19 13:51:13

I agree. I have clothes from secondary school (circa late 90s) that still fit me which are a size 10. A size 10 in a shop nowadays would be a tent on me.

catkind Mon 07-Jan-19 13:52:55

Not directly relevant but we have a H&M adult size 4 skirt that fits my slim 6 yr old (25%ile BMI, not just parental bias), and is above the knee on her. How short would that be on an actual adult? They'd have to be scarily thin too. Sizes are very very random.

TwiceMagic Mon 07-Jan-19 13:54:47

Body shapes only change in the space of a generation because of what covers them - fat!

Not necessarily. Improvements in living conditions (and particularly adequate levels of nutrition) and the introduction of a welfare state during the 20th century did have big effects on body shapes. Stunting and wasting used to be an issue in this country. Similarly the shift away from contorting women’s bodies into corsets will have had an effect.

Neither of those really apply to what’s happened to body shapes during my lifetime though (born in the 80s). That’s much more about increasingly sedentary lifestyles and poor dietary choices. It is amazing the difference in the average child’s body shape even just between my DS1 (young adult) being in primary school and DS2 (KS2), never mind in comparison to my childhood or my parents’ and grandparents’. And this increasingly large average size dies very much affect how people perceive their child’s (and their own) weight.

BlackPrism Mon 07-Jan-19 13:55:19

@catkind well, adult women's waists go in, and can go in to a very slim size. 6yos waists go out from their body and could be the same measurement as where the skirt would sit on an adults smallest part but they wouldn't be as tiny because their hips and breasts go out.

TwiceMagic Mon 07-Jan-19 14:01:42

Note: the poor dietary choices are often a result of poverty now. In the past, poverty often meant too little to eat. Now it can mean that you get enough to eat (too many calories) because that’s what’s easily available within walking distance and can be prepared with minimal fuel. Plus a whole host of other factors that might affect what people eat. Choices are not always as straightforward as we might like to imagine.

chestylarue52 Mon 07-Jan-19 14:06:26

I am a size 14 and complained in a outdoor clothing store that the extra extra large didn't fit me.

I'm not a rake but I'm definitely not an extra extra extra large person!

tenbob Mon 07-Jan-19 14:18:08

@RosemarysBabyDress

Sorry to derail this, but it is widely accepted that conditions like Hashimotos/underactive thyroid cause a slow metabolism

My Endochrinologist (a professor as well as consultant) told me this many years ago, and as a result, I have to be on a low-carb and sub-1750 calorie/day diet in order to maintain a normal BMI and weight

I'm lucky to have the luxury of my doctor's time and expertise to help me unpick my metabolic issues and therefore maintain a healthy weight but not everyone has this and would be stumped as to why eating the calories suggested by their fitbit for the activity levels still leaves them putting on weight.
So it is total nonsense to suggest there is no such thing as a slow metabolism
(I'm still a size 12 though, so I must be 'massive' hmm)

medium.com/boosted/losing-weight-with-hashimotos-and-underactive-thyroid-5c540023b7

User10fuckingmillion Mon 07-Jan-19 14:18:56

People do so like to get on their high horses about clothes sizing.

For what it’s worth, I have a bmi of 20, am short and can’t fit in size 8s. Different shapes.

blooddiamond Mon 07-Jan-19 14:20:36

H&m sizes are notoriously inconsistent and random, but calling a size 10 medium is perfectly fine imo.

ambereeree Mon 07-Jan-19 14:26:09

Lets be honest these kind of threads never end well.

SuziQ10 Mon 07-Jan-19 14:27:51

Yes size 10 seems small-medium. The smaller side of average.
Because we are all so used to people being obese and accept it as the new normal.
It's quite upsetting imo.

SirVixofVixHall Mon 07-Jan-19 14:27:53

Agree with tenbob. I was effortlessly thin for four decades until my thyroid packed up after having a baby.
Also agree with TwiceMagic. I have been looking at the army medical papers for my father’s cousins, done when they signed up to fight 100 years ago. The two brothers were A. Five foot seven and eight and half stone, and B. Five foot one and six and a half stone.
Teenagers, so still growing, but lightly framed and almost certainly carrying tb.
Highr levels of calories and good quality food etc in infancy and childhood don’t just make people fatter, they make people taller and heavier generally, bigger boned. Look at the Japanese ! Much taller than they were even 50 years ago.

Junkmail Mon 07-Jan-19 14:29:55

I’m not sure. I never used to shop in H&M because everything was too small. I’ve lost a fair amount of weight and thought I would give it another go. I’m finding that I’m fitting in their small or x-small sizes now which seems insane. I actually thought that maybe H&M had altered their sizes to be bigger due to the pressure on social media? Or maybe my view of sizing is just skewed because I have changed shape. Also I guess it could be my figure? A lot of stores seem to design clothes for people who are fairly straight up and down with no curves. So perhaps people with curvy bodies are finding it more difficult to find things that fit them. Post weight loss I am decidedly uncurvy. I’m by no means thin/skinny. I just don’t have much of a shape IYSWIM.

thecatneuterer Mon 07-Jan-19 14:35:58

I actually thought that maybe H&M had altered their sizes to be bigger due to the pressure on social media?

@Junkmail As I keep saying on this thread. That's exactly what they did. It happened last year and was widely flagged up on their website. It advised anyone online shopping to buy a size smaller than they had previously.

Hannnnnnnxo Mon 07-Jan-19 14:36:57

A size 10 is not the ‘bottom end of normal weight’. You’re insinuating that a size 6 or 8 must be underweight and withering away by that garbage logic - in reality both would be in the range of healthy bmi. You clearly have a skewed perspective.

A size 10 is an average size - it’s not ‘small’ but median within a range of sizes. Obviously your perspective would be different if you are of the opinion of ‘oh it must be tiny, I wouldn’t be able to fit, I would be so happy as a size 10 etc’. In reality, medium is the best description for a 10, doesn’t mean that it isn’t a common size (it is!) or that there’s any bad connotations with being a size 10.

Realistically a size 6 and 8 would be a x small and small. As a size 6, size 10 clothing is oversized. Coats and jackets look baggy in an unflattering way, and I would have to be careful with trousers/skirts falling down as my waist would be too small for them. I would be fucked if a size 10 replaced a 6 as being small. You can’t have a token ‘small’ that’s supposed to fit sizes 4-10 as there’s a significant difference within that range and it wouldn’t successfully cater to everyone.

Junkmail Mon 07-Jan-19 15:43:08

thecat Aah okay—I missed that, I hadn’t RTFT sorry. I also don’t shop with H&M online so I hadn’t seen the information. I don’t have a big issue with “vanity” sizing. It is what it is and I find it’s better not to worry about the number and just buy what fits. Also naturally peoples shapes change over time. I mean we’re taller now too. So obviously clothing sizes will change to match the population.

Footloose80 Mon 07-Jan-19 15:49:56

The person concerned is quite short admittedly but is no longer able to give blood due to her weight. Perhaps she is in denial about being a 10 and is probably more like an 8.

TwiceMagic Mon 07-Jan-19 16:01:09

She’d have to be under 50kg (7st 12lb) to be unable to give blood due to her weight alone. She’d need to be under 5’4 to be within the healthy bmi range. Unless she’s noticeably very short, I’d very much doubt she’d be anything like a 10 in 2018.

AlaskanOilBaron Mon 07-Jan-19 16:02:58

A size 10 is not the ‘bottom end of normal weight’.

Totally skewed perspective.

Aeroflotgirl Mon 07-Jan-19 16:05:16

With H&M, their sizing is all over the place, and does come up small, I would err on the side of caution, and stick with the Medium. My very slight 11 nearly 12 year old, has some H&M teen leggings age 13-14 years, and they are tight on here. My dd is just 7 stone.

Aeroflotgirl Mon 07-Jan-19 16:05:52

There is no way my 5ft 7 stone 11 year old is the size of a 13-14 year old teen.

lljkk Mon 07-Jan-19 16:08:02

We bought a great pair of trousers for 14yo DS in H&M.
He was a very average size 14yo but the trousers were labeled age 11-12 shock.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »