Talk

Advanced search

To ask what the strangest thing is that you've seen in a family home/life...

(889 Posts)
purpleworms Thu 03-Jan-19 12:06:23

...that to them was completely normal?

I have just seen someone asked this on an AMA on their Instagram. Their reply was walking around fully naked in front of parents/siblings/any family members.

While this is obviously okay for some, if it happened in a home I was visiting I'd be shock but that's just because it's not the norm in my family.

I'm racking my brains but I don't think I've ever noticed anything! But people have such different ways/customs within their home lives and routines. We all regard our own as normal without ever really knowing if what's normal to us is strange to others!

lottiegarbanzo Thu 03-Jan-19 13:15:35

Do the naked poo-ers shower straight afterwards? Is that the reasoning?

purpleworms Thu 03-Jan-19 13:15:55

Well.. It seems we are surrounded my more naked shitters than I first thought! I might make it a new icebreaker question. A type of marmite poll if you will grin

purpleworms Thu 03-Jan-19 13:18:50

@anitagreen oh my god! Cracking up about the church attire too grin

I couldn't even bring myself to FaceTime someone naked blush

IvannaBeAlone Thu 03-Jan-19 13:20:19

abacucat you know my parents?

(DM eventually got fed up after 30 years of being his personal slave and left him)

TheHumanSatsuma Thu 03-Jan-19 13:21:52

I once had a boyfriend who reckoned my family were not normal because we said please and thank you to each other.

doodlejump1980 Thu 03-Jan-19 13:22:32

@Roussette does her name begin with a V?

Coralnails Thu 03-Jan-19 13:25:11

I had a friend who when she wanted to start shaving her legs at 12/13, her step dad shaved them for her. I thought that was really strange. Her mum and step dad also would openly talk about their sex lives in front of everyone envy

I had a friend where you weren't allowed to flush the toilet or run the taps once her little sisters were in bed, they weren't even babies they were 6yo and 9yo, I thought that one was strange.

I've actually got a weird one of my own. In our house we all needed reading glasses, supermarket ones were adequate, for some reason we all shared this pair of old, broken and taped up pair of chemist reading glasses. We even called them the family glasses, I've actually no idea why someone didn't just go and buy some more.

QuackPorridgeBacon Thu 03-Jan-19 13:25:44

I once viewed a house that had life sized clowns sitting at the dining table and lying in the spare beds 😱😱😱😱😱

What, the fuck? My nan had knitted clowns on ladders on the walls in a few rooms, porcelain clowns and clowns in tins. Lifesize clowns in bed and at the dining table makes her weird thing seem normal.

bluebellpillow Thu 03-Jan-19 13:29:21

Growing up I had a friend who told me she was very poor. Had to walk home as couldn't afford the bus, only got £1 for lunch money and her being poor was very much a normal part of the conversation. I then made friends with her and spent a lot of time at her house, which was an Aladdin's cave of mish mashed charity shop furniture. They were only allowed two meals for dinner, either Tesco Value noodles (9p per packet the mother lamented!) or toast.
Long story short the family were absolutely minted, really extensive property portfolio in the SE and the father was an engineer on an oil rig.
The mother used to cry tears about money being so tight and I used to bring food around for my friend regularly. The odd thing was that they would go to tea houses every weekend and spend a fortune on cups of tea, then come home and have to eat noodles or toast hmm

There was a bank statement sitting one day very obviously showing that in one account there was more than £260k. I excitedly told my friend that she wasn't poor, but she got annoyed saying that was money for the future, not money they could afford to spend now hmm

Twenty years on her parents are still the same. They are retired and she was telling me that they travelled from one end of the country to the other on the bus, the mother just being discharged from hospital following a knee replacement because they didn't want to waste petrol money (free bus pass)

QuackPorridgeBacon Thu 03-Jan-19 13:29:41

In regards to the pooping naked. I don’t. I also don’t know anyone who does but, for a long time I always took my trousers and underwear off when having a shit. Don’t do it as much now but I always done it because it was more comfortable lol.

ohtheholidays Thu 03-Jan-19 13:29:57

I thought I hadn't but then I remembered the time I had a viewing around a house and it was gorgeous,the man that lived there had fitted everything in the house and it was amazing that was until he took us into the trophy room.

Now me and my DH thought a bit strange but they have a teenage DS maybe he's really into his sports or something and he has lots of trophies but no......they were fucking animal trophies that the dick head that owned the house had killed,I have never seen anything before in my life and I never want to again,the more I saw the more my face changed angry envy he had a Lion,a Tiger,a bloody Giraffe(of all things)and one of the loveliest animals you could ever be lucky enough to be near(the Giraffe is one of my most favourite animals)a buffalo and I think there was a Gazelle.

There most have been over 100 hundred amazing animals that the arsehole had killed to stick in a room in his house and his dozy wife thought it was great as well.

I think that was the worst house I've ever been in and no we didn't put in an offer for that house.

Puzzledandpissedoff Thu 03-Jan-19 13:31:09

I once viewed a house that had life sized clowns sitting at the dining table and lying in the spare beds

I can't believe the estate agents didn't warn them about that when valuing the house ... or maybe they just didn't listen hmm

QuackPorridgeBacon Thu 03-Jan-19 13:34:29

bluebellpillow That’s madness. Is that not abuse in some way?

BertieBotts Thu 03-Jan-19 13:42:54

I've heard of naked pooers before, but it's weird to me. Don't you get cold?? WTF? I'd only poo naked if I had an urgent need when I was in the bath.

What I realised was weird as an adult was having guinea pigs in cages in the kitchen, cat food and litter trays on the floor as well (that would spill and not be cleaned up for ages) and also having every single worktop covered by things waiting to be washed up. In fact I was totally perplexed when my health visitor flagged this last one up to me and it took being referred to social services until I cottoned on. In fact when I visit my childhood home now I find it really unacceptably dirty, yet as kids we thought my mum was a neat freak?? I think she was simply trying to get on top of it blush

We only had two school shirts and they were meant to last a week each. I must have utterly reeked...

BertieBotts Thu 03-Jan-19 13:44:50

Oh, and we only brushed our teeth at night, never in the morning. It took me years as an adult to rationalise brushing in the morning, because I "wouldn't be able to eat breakfast" confused

CrookedMe Thu 03-Jan-19 13:52:54

@ItsQuietTime we did not spend long looking around. It was seriously the creepiest thing. I was convinced we'd be murdered and our bodies sewn inside clown suits.

bluebellpillow Thu 03-Jan-19 14:13:53

Quack it probably was in some ways, I think the constant crying about being in poverty was probably more damaging than the restricted diet. It was a massive shock to my friend at uni discovering that having six figure figure sums in the bank did not equate to being poor.
None of the children are close to their parents but strangely they are much more generous to the dgc. I imagine when they die there will be a very swift family reunion to get their hands on what is probably a multi million pound inheritance.

Roussette Thu 03-Jan-19 14:52:00

doodlejump1980. No, her name doesn't begin with 'V'. But you obviously know another My Little Pony obsessed person!

JemSynergy Thu 03-Jan-19 17:06:52

I remember having a sleepover at my friends house when I was at school and finding it rather disgusting that her five cats were allowed to walk on the kitchen worktops and eat from any food cooking on the cooker stove. "Would you like to stay for dinner?" " Err no thanks"

Raven88 Thu 03-Jan-19 17:12:29

A college friends family home had two living rooms, she wasn't allowed in it and the dog was banned too. I'll never understand having a lounge only for certain guests. Also they didn't do an evening meal, they just had snacks in the evening.

DeRigueurMortis Thu 03-Jan-19 17:18:51

A friend of my DM's had those plastic covers on the sofa to keep them "nice".

In summer you used to stick to the sofa confused

She also had plastic runners over the carpets - again to keep them "nice".

The sofa and carpets looked pristine until they were replaced after 20 years and totally outdated....and then the new ones were similarly plastic wrapped grin

Travisandthemonkey Thu 03-Jan-19 17:23:40

I think I’m going to have nightmares about the clowns now.
Maybe there were people sewn up in them?!
shock

PookieDo Thu 03-Jan-19 17:32:24

My Aunty had OCD very badly and every surface of the house was covered in plastic and towels. I recall being in her front room for some event and watching her follow my grandad around laying out towels for his feet and elbows - on the chair that still had plastic on. She had loads of those plastic runners over her carpet and towels on them too

On the other end of the spectrum I went out with a boy when I was 15 for a while. In his family home they had 3 dogs shut in the kitchen all day, and all night. They let them out to go into the garden but they didn’t roam the house. They didn’t walk them. Kitchen was quite small and 2 were not spay and would bleed all over the floor. The house was totally covered in dog hair.

The garden was literally no grass just mud and shit. One year BF threw a party for his friends, people were in and out smoking and dancing and the next day there was a huge circle of shit in footprints on the living room carpet

abacucat Thu 03-Jan-19 17:35:05

Ruby Wax talks about being brought up in a family that has plastic covers on the sofa and carpets.

drum123 Thu 03-Jan-19 17:36:47

Talking about weird collections, someone I once knew (didn't keep up the acquaintance for some reason!) had a wall to wall bookcase filled with copies of one book - Jaws! Totally bizarre, he wasn't even looking for a first edition, just any old copy would do.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »