Talk

Advanced search

To ask what the strangest thing is that you've seen in a family home/life...

(889 Posts)
purpleworms Thu 03-Jan-19 12:06:23

...that to them was completely normal?

I have just seen someone asked this on an AMA on their Instagram. Their reply was walking around fully naked in front of parents/siblings/any family members.

While this is obviously okay for some, if it happened in a home I was visiting I'd be shock but that's just because it's not the norm in my family.

I'm racking my brains but I don't think I've ever noticed anything! But people have such different ways/customs within their home lives and routines. We all regard our own as normal without ever really knowing if what's normal to us is strange to others!

LongWalkShortPlank Thu 03-Jan-19 12:10:14

That Facebook viral about the poo knife.

CrookedMe Thu 03-Jan-19 12:13:00

I once viewed a house that had life sized clowns sitting at the dining table and lying in the spare beds 😱😱😱😱😱

36degrees Thu 03-Jan-19 12:14:15

Matching Tweety Pie tattoos.

Santaisfastasleepatlast Thu 03-Jan-19 12:16:54

A family who redecorate and recarpet the hallway every year instead of clearing the side of the house so the ddog can use the back door after a dirty walk!

purpleworms Thu 03-Jan-19 12:17:11

@LongWalkShortPlank how could I forget about the poo knife! Reminds me of another story I read about a man who had always taken all of his clothes off when he did a poo, and took him about 25 years to realise everyone else on the planet did not grin

purpleworms Thu 03-Jan-19 12:20:06

@CrookedMe Dear lord thats....an odd one! I'm laughing imagining the children being surprised at the lack of life size clowns in everyone else's houses grin

pictish Thu 03-Jan-19 12:31:40

Poo knife? What in Hell is that?!

DarlingNikita Thu 03-Jan-19 12:35:57

Crooked wins. grin

abacucat Thu 03-Jan-19 12:39:45

Husband who sits in his armchair while his wife fetches him everything he wants.

Crackedvase Thu 03-Jan-19 12:44:33

My high school best friend- her parents where bonefide hoarders (think stacks, piles, collections of stuff, not trash) yet their 3 piece suite was covered in plastic all the years I knew them. Strangest thing to sit on!

Roussette Thu 03-Jan-19 12:48:15

I know someone who collects. My Little Ponies. It's not a friend but a friend of a friend.

If you can imagine a bedroom that is wall to ceiling shelves, everywhere except the door. Shelves and cubbyholes everywhere.

Thousands and thousands of My Little Ponies. Plus all the guff that comes with it.

I didn't quite know what to say.

golddustwomen Thu 03-Jan-19 12:50:59

Never wiping down the table after eating a meal. Honestly I have never seen so many crumbs and old food in my life 🤢 yet the rest of the house is spotless..

Nellabella Thu 03-Jan-19 12:54:04

I used to know someone who lived at home with the parents, the house was a hoarders home with little notes left everywhere, but strangely enough it was really homely and welcoming and I loved visiting there.

steff13 Thu 03-Jan-19 12:55:56

Poo knife? What in Hell is that?!

There was this post on FB that a guy didn't realize that everyone's family didn't have a poo knife - apparently, their poop was so huge, they had to cut it with a knife to get it to go down the toilet. Personally, I think they perhaps should have gotten more fiber in their diets.

amusedbush Thu 03-Jan-19 12:56:41

Reminds me of another story I read about a man who had always taken all of his clothes off when he did a poo

My dad does this! I've always thought it was fucking bonkers.

Note: I've never SEEN this to verify - he's not a public naked pooper. My mum just rips into him mercilessly but he says it's more comfortable confused

rickandmorts Thu 03-Jan-19 13:00:17

Omg I've found my people. DP just very recently revealed that he often takes his clothes off to have a poo and he thought everyone else did???? I cannot get my head around it. He also says it's more comfortable and 'makes sense' confused.

JohnCRaven Thu 03-Jan-19 13:01:41

@purpleworms that's my friend! Naked shitter. Mate from uni. Hilarious guy.

anitagreen Thu 03-Jan-19 13:04:42

My friend does she FaceTimed me once with her tittys fully out complete with two nipple piercings next to her mum in full church attire.
I said to her why are you naked next to your mum ? she didn't see why I was so shocked, now it's normal to expect her to be naked if she FaceTimes confused

ItsQuietTime Thu 03-Jan-19 13:04:57

@CrookedMe

"I once viewed a house that had life sized clowns sitting at the dining table and lying in the spare beds"

MY WORST FUCKING NIGHTMARE COME TO LIFE.

pinkwipe Thu 03-Jan-19 13:06:22

Being 'bath buddies' to each other, sitting on the toilet seat and having a chat/catch up while someone is relaxing in the bath grin

anitagreen Thu 03-Jan-19 13:06:37

Can also clarify I feel nicer if I poo naked I don't know why it feels so comfy and relaxing but I haven't done it in a long time now. But I can see why people do it feels more cleaner and just peaceful blush

ReggieKrayDoYouKnowMyName Thu 03-Jan-19 13:07:08

My parents are quite naked people, but not to that extent! My Dad has never got a top on though, he’s like Martin from Friday Night Dinner, permanently sweltering!

silkpyjamasallday Thu 03-Jan-19 13:10:20

Over dinner at a friend's house one evening when we were teens, her much older brother started discussing his sex life with his mother, who proceeded to give him oral sex tips. I was beyond shocked as my family are v prudish.

vampirethriller Thu 03-Jan-19 13:14:57

I knew a woman who rather than stop her dogs and children weeing on the carpets, just had the carpets taken out and everyone walked around on the bare boards with the tacks and underlay stuff. She couldn't see why people thought it was a bit odd.

lottiegarbanzo Thu 03-Jan-19 13:15:35

Do the naked poo-ers shower straight afterwards? Is that the reasoning?

purpleworms Thu 03-Jan-19 13:15:55

Well.. It seems we are surrounded my more naked shitters than I first thought! I might make it a new icebreaker question. A type of marmite poll if you will grin

purpleworms Thu 03-Jan-19 13:18:50

@anitagreen oh my god! Cracking up about the church attire too grin

I couldn't even bring myself to FaceTime someone naked blush

IvannaBeAlone Thu 03-Jan-19 13:20:19

abacucat you know my parents?

(DM eventually got fed up after 30 years of being his personal slave and left him)

TheHumanSatsuma Thu 03-Jan-19 13:21:52

I once had a boyfriend who reckoned my family were not normal because we said please and thank you to each other.

doodlejump1980 Thu 03-Jan-19 13:22:32

@Roussette does her name begin with a V?

Coralnails Thu 03-Jan-19 13:25:11

I had a friend who when she wanted to start shaving her legs at 12/13, her step dad shaved them for her. I thought that was really strange. Her mum and step dad also would openly talk about their sex lives in front of everyone envy

I had a friend where you weren't allowed to flush the toilet or run the taps once her little sisters were in bed, they weren't even babies they were 6yo and 9yo, I thought that one was strange.

I've actually got a weird one of my own. In our house we all needed reading glasses, supermarket ones were adequate, for some reason we all shared this pair of old, broken and taped up pair of chemist reading glasses. We even called them the family glasses, I've actually no idea why someone didn't just go and buy some more.

QuackPorridgeBacon Thu 03-Jan-19 13:25:44

I once viewed a house that had life sized clowns sitting at the dining table and lying in the spare beds 😱😱😱😱😱

What, the fuck? My nan had knitted clowns on ladders on the walls in a few rooms, porcelain clowns and clowns in tins. Lifesize clowns in bed and at the dining table makes her weird thing seem normal.

bluebellpillow Thu 03-Jan-19 13:29:21

Growing up I had a friend who told me she was very poor. Had to walk home as couldn't afford the bus, only got £1 for lunch money and her being poor was very much a normal part of the conversation. I then made friends with her and spent a lot of time at her house, which was an Aladdin's cave of mish mashed charity shop furniture. They were only allowed two meals for dinner, either Tesco Value noodles (9p per packet the mother lamented!) or toast.
Long story short the family were absolutely minted, really extensive property portfolio in the SE and the father was an engineer on an oil rig.
The mother used to cry tears about money being so tight and I used to bring food around for my friend regularly. The odd thing was that they would go to tea houses every weekend and spend a fortune on cups of tea, then come home and have to eat noodles or toast hmm

There was a bank statement sitting one day very obviously showing that in one account there was more than £260k. I excitedly told my friend that she wasn't poor, but she got annoyed saying that was money for the future, not money they could afford to spend now hmm

Twenty years on her parents are still the same. They are retired and she was telling me that they travelled from one end of the country to the other on the bus, the mother just being discharged from hospital following a knee replacement because they didn't want to waste petrol money (free bus pass)

QuackPorridgeBacon Thu 03-Jan-19 13:29:41

In regards to the pooping naked. I don’t. I also don’t know anyone who does but, for a long time I always took my trousers and underwear off when having a shit. Don’t do it as much now but I always done it because it was more comfortable lol.

ohtheholidays Thu 03-Jan-19 13:29:57

I thought I hadn't but then I remembered the time I had a viewing around a house and it was gorgeous,the man that lived there had fitted everything in the house and it was amazing that was until he took us into the trophy room.

Now me and my DH thought a bit strange but they have a teenage DS maybe he's really into his sports or something and he has lots of trophies but no......they were fucking animal trophies that the dick head that owned the house had killed,I have never seen anything before in my life and I never want to again,the more I saw the more my face changed angry envy he had a Lion,a Tiger,a bloody Giraffe(of all things)and one of the loveliest animals you could ever be lucky enough to be near(the Giraffe is one of my most favourite animals)a buffalo and I think there was a Gazelle.

There most have been over 100 hundred amazing animals that the arsehole had killed to stick in a room in his house and his dozy wife thought it was great as well.

I think that was the worst house I've ever been in and no we didn't put in an offer for that house.

Puzzledandpissedoff Thu 03-Jan-19 13:31:09

I once viewed a house that had life sized clowns sitting at the dining table and lying in the spare beds

I can't believe the estate agents didn't warn them about that when valuing the house ... or maybe they just didn't listen hmm

QuackPorridgeBacon Thu 03-Jan-19 13:34:29

bluebellpillow That’s madness. Is that not abuse in some way?

BertieBotts Thu 03-Jan-19 13:42:54

I've heard of naked pooers before, but it's weird to me. Don't you get cold?? WTF? I'd only poo naked if I had an urgent need when I was in the bath.

What I realised was weird as an adult was having guinea pigs in cages in the kitchen, cat food and litter trays on the floor as well (that would spill and not be cleaned up for ages) and also having every single worktop covered by things waiting to be washed up. In fact I was totally perplexed when my health visitor flagged this last one up to me and it took being referred to social services until I cottoned on. In fact when I visit my childhood home now I find it really unacceptably dirty, yet as kids we thought my mum was a neat freak?? I think she was simply trying to get on top of it blush

We only had two school shirts and they were meant to last a week each. I must have utterly reeked...

BertieBotts Thu 03-Jan-19 13:44:50

Oh, and we only brushed our teeth at night, never in the morning. It took me years as an adult to rationalise brushing in the morning, because I "wouldn't be able to eat breakfast" confused

CrookedMe Thu 03-Jan-19 13:52:54

@ItsQuietTime we did not spend long looking around. It was seriously the creepiest thing. I was convinced we'd be murdered and our bodies sewn inside clown suits.

bluebellpillow Thu 03-Jan-19 14:13:53

Quack it probably was in some ways, I think the constant crying about being in poverty was probably more damaging than the restricted diet. It was a massive shock to my friend at uni discovering that having six figure figure sums in the bank did not equate to being poor.
None of the children are close to their parents but strangely they are much more generous to the dgc. I imagine when they die there will be a very swift family reunion to get their hands on what is probably a multi million pound inheritance.

Roussette Thu 03-Jan-19 14:52:00

doodlejump1980. No, her name doesn't begin with 'V'. But you obviously know another My Little Pony obsessed person!

JemSynergy Thu 03-Jan-19 17:06:52

I remember having a sleepover at my friends house when I was at school and finding it rather disgusting that her five cats were allowed to walk on the kitchen worktops and eat from any food cooking on the cooker stove. "Would you like to stay for dinner?" " Err no thanks"

Raven88 Thu 03-Jan-19 17:12:29

A college friends family home had two living rooms, she wasn't allowed in it and the dog was banned too. I'll never understand having a lounge only for certain guests. Also they didn't do an evening meal, they just had snacks in the evening.

DeRigueurMortis Thu 03-Jan-19 17:18:51

A friend of my DM's had those plastic covers on the sofa to keep them "nice".

In summer you used to stick to the sofa confused

She also had plastic runners over the carpets - again to keep them "nice".

The sofa and carpets looked pristine until they were replaced after 20 years and totally outdated....and then the new ones were similarly plastic wrapped grin

Travisandthemonkey Thu 03-Jan-19 17:23:40

I think I’m going to have nightmares about the clowns now.
Maybe there were people sewn up in them?!
shock

PookieDo Thu 03-Jan-19 17:32:24

My Aunty had OCD very badly and every surface of the house was covered in plastic and towels. I recall being in her front room for some event and watching her follow my grandad around laying out towels for his feet and elbows - on the chair that still had plastic on. She had loads of those plastic runners over her carpet and towels on them too

On the other end of the spectrum I went out with a boy when I was 15 for a while. In his family home they had 3 dogs shut in the kitchen all day, and all night. They let them out to go into the garden but they didn’t roam the house. They didn’t walk them. Kitchen was quite small and 2 were not spay and would bleed all over the floor. The house was totally covered in dog hair.

The garden was literally no grass just mud and shit. One year BF threw a party for his friends, people were in and out smoking and dancing and the next day there was a huge circle of shit in footprints on the living room carpet

abacucat Thu 03-Jan-19 17:35:05

Ruby Wax talks about being brought up in a family that has plastic covers on the sofa and carpets.

drum123 Thu 03-Jan-19 17:36:47

Talking about weird collections, someone I once knew (didn't keep up the acquaintance for some reason!) had a wall to wall bookcase filled with copies of one book - Jaws! Totally bizarre, he wasn't even looking for a first edition, just any old copy would do.

MyBreadIsEggy Thu 03-Jan-19 17:41:22

We live in military housing and I’ve heard some interesting stories.
As most people know, military housing is very uniform (magnolia walls, beige carpet in every room etc), and you have to return it to its original state when you leave and will be charged for any damages or deficits. Needless to say, most military families don’t paint/wallpaper etc.
Probably the most bizarre I’ve ever heard was that the family of one of the Nepalese Gurkha soldiers cut a huge hole in the middle of their living room carpet, smashed through the floorboards and built a homemade fire pit to cook on confused The wife decided that a modern gas/electric cooker wasn’t cutting the mustard, so they’d just butcher the carpet and turn the house into a death trap instead.

ShirleyPhallus Thu 03-Jan-19 17:43:15

I went to someone’s house for dinner a while ago and they didn’t sit down at the dinner table, at all, at any point in the evening

Weirdly, they had already eaten by the time we arrived so it became some sort of very awkward dinner service where they just served us, refused to sit down for fussing, then spend lots of time in the kitchen washing up

Really really weird

notquitethesame Thu 03-Jan-19 17:45:05

I had a friend when I was a teenager who lived with her parents in a small new build house with 2 bedrooms (one en-suite), a living room and a kitchen which I'm sure was classed as a kitchen/diner but was only just big enough to fit a small table and a few fold up chairs. Friend had the (bigger) en-suite bedroom and the living room was also designated as her space. As such the living room was decorated to her taste and full of her stuff (80s so tapes, tape players, video player/TV, bean bags etc). Her parents spent their evenings in the kitchen watching a small portable TV.

At first I assume that this was just an arrangement for when her friends were over but she claimed not and the state of her rooms plus the fact that eventually she was allowed to have a lock put on the door suggested not.

PookieDo Thu 03-Jan-19 17:46:58

This reminded me of another one
My other Aunty washes up everything the moment it’s used. So as you eat she’s washing up, she takes it all as you finish and runs the tap and uses one of those sponges with washing up liquid inside. She has a dishwasher but she doesnt like making it dirty

TinklyLittleLaugh Thu 03-Jan-19 17:48:17

Not at all unusual really, but when I was 16 I went to tea with a new friend from the sixth form. Her family were quite well off professional people who lived in a naice local village; her Dad was a scientist. I was very much working class.

Her family were really lovely but her Dad cooked our dinner. Despite considering myself a feminist leftie at the time, this absolutely blew my young mind. I had never seen a man cook, wash a dish, or even make a cup of tea before. I remember going on about it for ages, probably drove my family mad.

This was 1980, by the way, not Victorian times or anything.

Peachydream Thu 03-Jan-19 17:51:55

When we bought our first house we viewed a terraced house which had a toilet in the master bedroom, not an ensuite, actually plumbed in next to the bed.

DP could have done naked pooing while I had a chat from the bed.

HollowTalk Thu 03-Jan-19 17:54:36

Cats on the worktop and litter trays in the kitchen. Both these things are awful and I wouldn't eat in a house where they were doing that.

umpteennamechanges Thu 03-Jan-19 17:54:39

My family also did this...mainly the women...

Being 'bath buddies' to each other, sitting on the toilet seat and having a chat/catch up while someone is relaxing in the bath 

mystifiedinbrighton Thu 03-Jan-19 17:58:37

People who never open the windows in their house.

I have been in two houses recently where, as you walk in the front door, you can smell the smell of unwashed sheets, dirty laundry, human beings, stale cooking smells and generally just old rancid air.

Don't get it at all.Nice folk otherwise, prof jobs, nice houses. Just very smelly.

LadyRochfordsHoickedGusset Thu 03-Jan-19 17:59:20

The only thing near to a naked poo would be when I was bought a Christmas onesie, dutifully wore it and needed the loo. Even then my ankles were at least covered.

Apart from that the lovely offer of sharing someone's bath water 🤢.

abacucat Thu 03-Jan-19 18:00:08

I remember being very surprised the first time I went over to a friends house and discovered she shared bunk beds with her mum, and her dad slept in the other bedroom.

abacucat Thu 03-Jan-19 18:01:35

mystified I think some people have a poor sense of smell.

Thatsalovelycuppatea Thu 03-Jan-19 18:02:26

When I was a teenager I went to a friend of a friends house. I found the whole thing unnerving because basically the family had photo frames of dicks and key rings of dicks. I am glad I never had to 'pop' in there with my friend again.

VictoriaBun Thu 03-Jan-19 18:13:05

Went to a family home once on a professional visit. The front room had page 3 Sun newspaper ( in the day - topless photos ) ripped out and taped to the walls. In another house, the male of the home, rebuilding his motorbike - in the kitchen.

Apileofballyhoo Thu 03-Jan-19 18:13:39

Coralnails the family glasses cracked me up.

Flusteredwintertime Thu 03-Jan-19 18:16:30

I had a friend from college who did the bath buddies thing with her mum, step dad and step brother! Mum I could sort of understand but letting her older step brother come in and have a chat whilst she was naked in the bath was too weird for me. I used to walk to work (2 minute walk from my house) to use their loo if I was desperate and someone was in the bath/shower!

My two step sons used do this too though that's because the youngest didn't like being upstairs on his own, it's now filtered down to eldest sitting in the bedroom whilst youngest showers instead of being in the bathroom with him.

arranbubonicplague Thu 03-Jan-19 18:26:26

We had neighbours who had plastic covers over everything, including the lamp shades.

I've never known that to be a feature of a family that didn't have multiple MH issues across several generations but that might just be the cases that I know about for various reasons.

WeShouldOpenABar Thu 03-Jan-19 18:27:15

Friend of mine started a story with 'you know when you're shaving your mams legs?' never heard the rest because no no I don't know about that, he's never heard the end of it

AnotherOriginalUsername Thu 03-Jan-19 18:27:37

@ShirleyPhallus I think you went to a restaurant....

MishMashMosher Thu 03-Jan-19 18:29:25

My family were probably the family everyone thought was weird. We had a mattress propped up against the living room wall as my dad slept on it. He would lay it out every night once everyone had gone to bed. My mum went to bed at about 6.30/7pm every night. She liked to keep her bedroom door open to sleep which meant we (the kids) weren't allowed any lights on. If we stayed uo, we would have to turn our bedroom lights off before slowly and quietly opening the bedroom door handles, creep /crawl along the landing to get to the bathroom. I'm not exaggerating, if you made one floorboard creak, your life wasn't worth living. We then weren't allowed to shut the door properly as it would make too much noise, weren't allowed to flush the toilet or turn the lights on. Can you imagine what it was like having friends over? My best friend was the only person I invited over as she was the only one I could trust not to be too judgey about all the weird rules. So many other things, but they are too weird to write on here. I had a weird childhood.

MitziK Thu 03-Jan-19 18:30:32

My big sister's house.

It was clean.
The carpets felt squishy, soft and extended to the skirting boards. No dust filled things that weren't vacuumed and made bare feet burn.
They had curtains that not only worked, they were used every day.
The kitchen was fitted, had a built in oven and the surfaces weren't covered in junk.
There was heating in every room, so no need to wish for it to snow so that the ice would block the gaps in the windowframes and make it fee warm upstairs.
The garden wasn't full of junk and dogshit.
There were spaces between bits of furniture, so you could move around and it didn't feel like the walls were closing in on you because there weren't tables in front of bookcases of ornaments stacked up in piles in front of other bits of furniture.
There wasn't a rule that you couldn't walk on the other side of the bedroom floor nearest the window because 'that was where the fleas lived' - because everywhere was vacuumed regularly and the cat didn't have fleas anyway.
The bath wasn't doubling as a place to store towels from 20 years ago, stacked on a lump of wood, so you couldn't lie down and relax.
They had toilet roll with flowers embossed on it.
Best of all, they had a shower - and they weren't just allowed to use it once a week on Sunday evening, they were expected to use it. my sister had to show me how the shower worked, as I'd never seen one before. And then she couldn't get me out of it.

It smelled nice everywhere. And they talked to one another, instead of shouting and hitting.

Took me a while to realise that, actually, this was the norm for most people's houses.

purpleworms Thu 03-Jan-19 18:30:40

shock some of these are crazy! I've always been bemused by the plastic wrap over carpets people but only just realised now thanks to @PookieDo that it could come from a place of OCD

Notso Thu 03-Jan-19 18:31:23

I remember staying at a friends house for a night, the Mum made me have a bath before going to bed then while I was in the bath she just burst in and used the toilet merrily chatting away to me the whole time. I was mortified.
Dinner was a microwave meal but only one was served at a time, she didn't serve the next until the previous person had finished eating.

Another friends parents house I loved going to because you could basically do whatever you wanted and eat whatever you wanted. The Mum let us graffiti all over the kitchen, they'd offer us cigarettes and cider as though they were cups of tea.
Looking back it was really chaotic but the parents were so friendly and warm, the kind of home you could turn up at anytime of day or night and there'd be food for you and a bed if you needed it.

purpleworms Thu 03-Jan-19 18:31:46

@ShirleyPhallus definitely a restaurant! How odd!!

LearningMySelfWorth Thu 03-Jan-19 18:33:25

We still do bath buddies in my family, but in my family you use so much bubble bath all you can see is the top of your head grin it's lots of fun and nothing wrong with having a catch up like that. It's not something that has extended past blood family though so BIL's or extended family wouldn't do it but siblings, children, nieces, nephews and grandchildren all do it. The others would only go in if the curtain was pulled and they were desperate for the toilet (most of my family only have 1 bathroom houses).

Theres been times I've visited my sister walked in yelling where are you for her to yell back I'm in the bath, with the expectation that I'd just head up to go talk to her. Only one of my sisters isn't ok with this but she is really self conscious about the way she looks, plus shes a little more removed from my family.

My female friends and I often call each other (not facetime) when we're in the bath. And I have held my friend up while she drunkenly peed in a bush at 4 in the morning on our way home. A testament to friendship right there.

Oddest thing I saw while visiting a friend before christmas was just how 'traditional' they are for want of a better word. Breakfast bowls and cutlery set out at the kitchen table the night before, where the mum would come down early eat her's and then pour cereal for everyone else and make the cups of tea. Lunch and Dinner was taken at the dining table all cooked and prepared and plated at the table by mum. Full place settings and seating position dictated by age and 'rank' in the family. Dad 100% head of the household making arbitrary decisions while mum runs everything. It was bizarre and I found it rather sexist in some way. They also spent very little time away from the dining table in the same room or talking to each other at all. In my house it's noise, noise, noise and constant chatter and excitement and physical contact and yelling at or too each other. And by all accounts we're far happier.

I did have to bite my tongue once or twice when my friends dad made disparaging remarks about him. Because my friend is stubborn and pig headed and acerbic at times but he is lovely, and bright and when not being talked down to or treated like a child very sweet and generous.

purpleworms Thu 03-Jan-19 18:33:25

@MitziK flowers

Birdsgottafly Thu 03-Jan-19 18:33:53

VictoriaBun, was that in Liverpool? I had a neighbour who used to do the page three thing. Mending bikes in the living room wasn't uncommon.

The plastic runner on the carpet, was in most houses, including mine, in the 80's.

DeaflySilence Thu 03-Jan-19 18:35:57

"Husband who sits in his armchair while his wife fetches him everything he wants."

This reminded me of my first (and only) visit to a fairly new boyfriend's home, where his mother cooked for and served the 'men' of the house (her husband and two sons) and any guests (me, on that occasion), but did not eat with them.
Instead she 'hovered' about (a couple of yards back from the table), tending to everyone and popping back and forth to the kitchen to fetch anything they wanted!

Of course, I could hardly believe this, but my boyfriend assured me that all meals were served and taken this way, and that his mother would have her portion later! Even on occasions such as Christmas Day! He thought it was perfectly normal, and just the way things were 'done'.

I was a teenager at the time and have never forgotten that meal (my memory assisted not only by their behavior, but also by the fact that it was runny minced beef).

Perhaps needless to say, I sort of went off him after that grin.

TheRealJoseph Thu 03-Jan-19 18:36:00

In another house, the male of the home, rebuilding his motorbike - in the kitchen.

Makes sense to me.

Ribbonsonabox Thu 03-Jan-19 18:38:30

My friend at schools mum had mental health issues and instead of doing any cleaning she would just hide stuff round the house.. so like dirty plates and laundry were just stuffed in cupboards... my friend used to have to go round gathering all the dirty dishes each evening in order that it didnt get rancid... it was sort of like a game... she used to leave her mum a list each morning of what to do during the day after my friend had left for school... when I look back on it it was really sad... I think now days they would have a had a lot of social services input hopefully

purpleworms Thu 03-Jan-19 18:38:34

@MishMashMosher God that sounds terrible. I woke up at 5am this Christmas day and was creeping around like that trying not to wake my little cousin up, genuinely couldn't imagine having to do that every single evening in my own home

TinklyLittleLaugh Thu 03-Jan-19 18:39:40

DH used to mend his motorbike in the living room. But not once he moved in with me.

pigsDOfly Thu 03-Jan-19 18:40:38

When my DCs were babies I had a friend who 'potty trained' her toddler by allowing the child to walk around the house with her bottom half permanently naked.

I think her thinking was that when the child started to wee or poo you could just grab her and stick her on the potty. However, it didn't work like that and the child literally just shat on the floor for month and my friend would just clean it up.

The funny thing was that otherwise their house was beautifully kept with lovely furniture. Her DH used to get really fed up with it and used to rant to me about it but she just carried on regardless.

VioletCharlotte Thu 03-Jan-19 18:40:40

When I was a teenager, my friend's parents celebrated Halloween at Christmas. They used to decorate the house with cobwebs, etc, dress up in Halloween costumes and eat pumpkin pie instead of Christmas Dinner. As a teen I thought they were so cool, but looking back it was very odd!

MyFavouritePlace Thu 03-Jan-19 18:41:15

I went to wedding last year where the groom didn't turn up to the church and barely made the reception. The family still insist that they are married even though they have not been to the register office since. Bride's sister told me in confidence.

Jebuschristchocolatebar Thu 03-Jan-19 18:42:21

Relatives of my dh had their only shower in one of the bedrooms. Not an en-suite but a shower in the bedroom.

Ribbonsonabox Thu 03-Jan-19 18:46:41

Oh and another friend I had was not allowed downstairs before her parents had woken up and she wasn't allowed to wake them up either. This was when we were 12/13! I stayed over and we just had to sit in up In her room till her parents woke up... seemed so odd that we couldn't just go down and make breakfast and watch TV or anything..... mind you I once had a friend stay with me who thought my family were weird because they didnt 'host' at all. Over the age of about 12 if I had friends over I was just left to it.. to make meals etc they would just leave me stuff to cook in the kitchen or money for pizza, and i had a TV in a small playroom next to my room and an ensuite... so friends may sometimes come to stay and not see my parents the entire time.. some of them found that very weird as their own parents would properly host their friends with the table laid out for dinner, everyone eating together and talking to each other etc

KirstyAllsoppsFatterTwin Thu 03-Jan-19 18:46:53

The pooing naked thing is freaking me out. I would feel very vulnerable doing that. It only ever happens if I am literally about to step in the shower and therefore already naked when I get the urge. I don't especially enjoy the sensation of being naked when you are in such a compromising position.

LearningMySelfWorth Thu 03-Jan-19 18:49:09

@DeaflySilence, that sounds eerily similar to my friends house. Mum (or sister and occasionally he or his brother) does everything, while dad or the other men folk do nothing. Like my friend will happily drink tea or hot chocolate all day, but he refuses to make it himself. Strangely though that's the one thing his dad does do for himself.

userschmoozer Thu 03-Jan-19 18:51:06

I went to a friends house for tea and they had sort of knocked every room through into the next room. Some of the walls had been replaced with glass panels like in an office. It was all painted magnolia.
I think they had seen some sort of architectural feature of a light airy open plan house and really liked it, except they lived in an old house with lots of small rooms and not much money for renovations. It really didn't work.
Also it meant the childrens bedrooms had windows in them looking into the corridoors.

Slippershoes Thu 03-Jan-19 18:51:56

Visiting a friend who kept the litter tray next to the couch envy

Bringbackthestripes Thu 03-Jan-19 18:52:32

MitziK sad flowers

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Thu 03-Jan-19 19:02:04

Oh, the never opening windows thing! Used to stay with friends where every single window in the house was always locked. Except for the bedroom we slept in - I had to ask for that key.
The cooking smells (esp. greasy frying of chicken) in their kitchen would sometimes really make me feel sick..

My DM had elderly neighbours who used to cook on some sort of camping stove thing in a shed in the garden, because they didn't want to dirty their nice new cooker.

One I loved as a kid at a friend's house - they had 2 dogs, a cat and a rabbit, all often in the big kitchen together, and his mum would put saucers of tea down in a row for them and they'd all drink it! even the rabbit.
I adored that house!

Room101isWhereIUsedtoLive Thu 03-Jan-19 19:05:53

A bison head. On the wall of the family room. It was really large and I hope they had had it specially mounted.

Junkmail Thu 03-Jan-19 19:06:07

My friends all have normal houses. I think I’m the odd one out 😂😳 I keep the house spotless (I clean every day and am really on top of it) but there are animals everywhere. I have a lot of pets and my friends have nicknamed my home “the zoo” 😂 There are cats on every surface although the litter trays are safely stowed in bathrooms/utility room/the cats own bedroom. Dogs are under your feet every time you turn around.

I also have a box of cockroaches in the cabinet in my bedroom which I guess is horrifying? I don’t know. I’m used to it 😂 In my defence they are lizard food. But still gross I know.

FrazzyAndFrumpled Thu 03-Jan-19 19:06:09

Some of these stories are quite sad to read sad

DP and I sometimes do the “bath buddies” thing!

KirstyAllsoppsFatterTwin Thu 03-Jan-19 19:11:12

I also have a box of cockroaches in the cabinet in my bedroom which I guess is horrifying?

WHAT??

ImNotReallyAWaitress Thu 03-Jan-19 19:15:10

Family. Naked. Sauna.
(Live in Scandinavia so totally the norm here)

I was horrified at walking into a sauna full of naked (almost) strangers, they were horrified I had a swimsuit on 🙈

Coralnails Thu 03-Jan-19 19:15:11

I'm not sure if this is weird or not.

I had a friend and they weren't allowed to put their feet up on the sofa, incase they left an imprint on the sofa.

They weren't allowed to bring fish and chips home because of the smell.

(This one is definitely weird) They weren't allowed to order curries because the dad was a racist git, they also weren't allowed to go into any Asian restaurants but the mum and daughters would sneak out to them anyway, it was all very hush hush and don't tell the dad.

Looking back I can't believe what a controlling tosser he was.

SamBaileys Thu 03-Jan-19 19:15:32

@abacucat you describe my in laws to a tee.

I worked with a girl whos husband collected limited edition comic character figurines and displayed them in a wall to wall glass cabinet in the living room. Once a month he met up with other like minded men and they would dress up as the characters- one month they would all be iron man, the next month Captain America etc. He travelled all over the uk and spent the majority of their disposable income on his hobby. She wore shoes and trousers with holes in.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »