Talk

Advanced search

To ask you what has changed in your life once you quit smoking?

(305 Posts)
proseccoaficionado Tue 01-Jan-19 09:10:51

That's it, folks.

I set my date for the end of January (some stressful events in January).

Please tell me the positive aspects of quitting smoking, what has changed in your life and please, your top tips to stay away from it.

I have to admit I'm a bit terrified and never tried to quit before. I want to do it once and for good.

Thank you and a Happy New Year, everyone

ThisIsNotARealAvo Tue 01-Jan-19 09:14:25

My skin looked better after about 2 days. Everyone asked me what I was using. Even the guy I was seeing the time who never noticed anything asked me what I had done to my face!

And I had more money. Tons of it. At the time I was doing a lot of tutoring and I was getting paid in cash, about £100 per week. My purse was still full a week later. I gave up in 2009 and I think cigarettes were about £6.50.

R3b3kah Tue 01-Jan-19 09:15:59

I don’t get that horrible chesty cough, I’m no longer wheezing, I don’t smell (non smoking partner who would constantly remind me I stink of an ash tray)

I started vaping and still do nearly 2 years later and down to 3mg nicotine in the hope to quit vaping soon, only reason I want to stop is the cost (which is about £15 a week on juice and a new coil)

I quit when I found out I was pregnant, and never went back to it. The first 2 weeks are worst but it gets so much easier.

Strange thing is I like the smell of fags, but never temps me. How odd grin

Good luck you can do it

Lollyice Tue 01-Jan-19 09:16:22

I saved £40 a week and after about 18 months I went to Australia for 5 weeks smile

CripsSandwiches Tue 01-Jan-19 09:20:57

It took me about a week for the intense craving to go away and a few months for the occasional cravings (usually when stressed or drunk) to disappear. I've found my lung capacity is much better, I don't get sick as much or as for long, I smell better, I waste less money. Feel less embarrassed about smoking and now 10 years on never ever fancy a cigarette (to be fair it took about 2 years to completeky forget I ever smoked)

showmeyourgroovymoves Tue 01-Jan-19 09:21:52

The stress just goes away.

Honestly it is so much less stressful to be a non-smoker. I wasn't expecting that one as someone who would run for a cigarette every time I got a bit stressed, but it's true.

Good luck x

LostInShoebiz Tue 01-Jan-19 09:23:11

Hi! I smoked for about 12 years and LOVED it. Then I was forced to stop due to needed a series of surgeries.

Smoking (though you only realise this after you stop) is like wearing an uncomfortable bra or a shoe; you’re always aware of it. It’s so nice now not to have an extra massive thing to think about: where are my cigarettes, I’ll pop out in a minute for one, if someone is in the middle of a really involved story then how do you politely excuse yourself, are you going to run out. For a habit that becomes instinctive it takes up a hell of a lot of your thinking time.

And once your sense of smell and taste sharpen up, you’ll realise that for years you stank and would have been quite unpleasant for non-smokers to sit with.

Grimbles Tue 01-Jan-19 09:23:15

ALL. THE. MONEY!

Whatamuddleduck Tue 01-Jan-19 09:24:34

I’ve had a baby!
I no longer have to factor in time for a cigarette before and after everything.
I can go on a long train or plane journey or other long thing without getting g antsy.
I don’t stink, I don’t have a brown tooth, I feel healthier!

My tip, quit once. Don’t put yourself through the pain of having ‘just one’. Then you have to keep quitting.
Do it once and. That’s it!
Good luck

LostInShoebiz Tue 01-Jan-19 09:24:46

And be kind if you have lapses! I would lapse on a night out then say “fuck it, that’s me smoking again”. If you allow yourself a lapse or two but go back to being stopped the next time you run out then you’ll hopefully stop lapsing.

The4thSandersonSister Tue 01-Jan-19 09:24:49

I realised my clothes, hair and skin stank. My breathing a night improved and my skin looked more healthy. I also saved a fortune. I realised my day had been broken up into cigarette breaks.

Summer135 Tue 01-Jan-19 09:25:55

Health, money, energy and just feeling so much better in general. It's the nicest feeling not having to rely on cigarettes and knowing you can go out with friends and not feeling like you need one! I read the Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking Book (from Amazon). When I got the book I didn't have any faith in it, but it worked and changed my whole mindset. A lot of people don't need a book and I've quit lots of times, but after reading it I can honestly say I will never smoke again. Good luck with it all.

proseccoaficionado Tue 01-Jan-19 09:26:29

Wow, so many positive stories here, please keep them coming!

I am a bit worried about replacing cigs with food (I also need to shift about 1 stone so a bit anxious I could gain weight!)

Is it actually true that food tastes different/better?

What do you do about horrible craving?

Do any of you recommend plasters/gum/any help or just cold turkey and end of?

Buster72 Tue 01-Jan-19 09:27:32

I can smell stuff again, I had forgotten about the subtle flavours in food.
I don't have to stand in the rain for a smoke.
No dirty fag butts

Buster72 Tue 01-Jan-19 09:28:15

Buy a good vape pipe. It works.

Grimbles Tue 01-Jan-19 09:28:18

My tip, quit once. Don’t put yourself through the pain of having ‘just one’

This! It's never just 1!

The first cig tastes awful which is how we get hooked in the first place, because we fool ourselves into thinking we would never carry on doing something that tasted and smelt so awful. Until we are on 20 a day again.

Ceejly Tue 01-Jan-19 09:28:20

I don't get out of breath easily.

When I get a cold, it doesn't turn into a borderline chest infection anymore. It goes away in a week.

No more yellow patches on my fingers!

I smell nice!

My sense of taste got so much better so quickly! About two weeks after I quite I couldn't stop eating strawberries because they tasted so strong and amazing!

I quit cold turkey 3.5 years ago. Best decision ever. Have not had a cigarette since but have occasionally vaped on nights out.

proseccoaficionado Tue 01-Jan-19 09:29:32

@Ceejly When I bloody get a cold (addmitedly once at 2 years but still!!) it turns into a fucking full blown SINUSITIS!!!!angry

Oysterbabe Tue 01-Jan-19 09:29:46

I didn't smell any more.
Read the Allen Carr book, it really helped me.

Ceejly Tue 01-Jan-19 09:30:26

@proseccoaficionado

Yes it's true about food tasting better!

I was really worried about the weight thing so i started calorie counting when I quit which was tough but has also resulted in me losing 7 stone.

Quitting was genuinely a catalyst for so many positive changes in my life.

proseccoaficionado Tue 01-Jan-19 09:30:42

Recently I gave up normal cigs and only smoking IQOS (are they popular in the Uk? Where I live they're quite popular!) and they pretend there's only nicotine not the other bullshit so I'm kinda lying to myself that it'll be easier to come off these than normal cigs

Grimbles Tue 01-Jan-19 09:32:13

Admittedly I put on a stone giving up cigs. But I managed to lose it, plus extra, because I felt so much better about myself once I had quit.

proseccoaficionado Tue 01-Jan-19 09:33:33

I am so excited now.

So what do I do when my set day comes? Do I smoke my last then, in the morning? Or the night before? Honestly I can't believe how much I'm overthinking this. I just love smoking (but I believe every smoker does)

saltymofo Tue 01-Jan-19 09:38:12

I would honestly read the Alan Carr book before you try giving up. You read the book while you're still smoking then by the end of the book you just stop. By then you're also in the right mindset to stick with it and deal with any cravings. I actually had none and I was a hardened smoker.

proseccoaficionado Tue 01-Jan-19 09:39:27

@saltymofo I would be really surprised if that happened for me too😂 I just downloaded the book, thanks for the tip, I heard about it many times but I had no idea it works!

Auramigraine Tue 01-Jan-19 09:41:16

I quit smoking 6 years ago now, I was a 20 a day smoker, I read the Allan Carr’s easy way and was repulsed by cigarettes by the end but unfortunately my cravings and the fact I didn’t 100% want to stop smoking over ruled, I refused to have a cigarette so instead I bought a ecig and have never touched a proper cigarette since, I will however say I still do use an ecig unfortunately but I am down to the lowest ml of nicotine I can find (3mg) and keep saying I will stop using it but never get round to it, it costs me about £2 a week (I get cig liquid from home bargains 99p each) and every so often I will need a new battery or charger. Pros: a lot more money!! When I smoked 20 Richmond were £4.95 I think?? Now I believe 20 cigs are £10 a pack, OMG!! I don’t know how anyone can afford it!
My teeth didn’t feel as gritty in a morning, I don’t feel as lethargic and blergh in a morning I noticed more energy, I find food tastes nicer, don’t smell, I smell cigs now and i don’t miss them at all! Yes I’m still addicted to nicotine but I read on nhs that it’s relatively harmless on its own and similar to caffeine, however new year and all I really should make the attempt to get off the ecig once and for all! I am grateful they exist tho as before that I tried patches, gum, champix tablets (worked but made me soooo ill) hypnotherapy, nothing else worked long term. Good luck!! X

MissTook Tue 01-Jan-19 09:41:53

It's easier than you think, op. I smoked from age 15, I was up to 60 a day. I was never without my fags.

I used patches to the letter - I didn't skip one single instruction in the leaflet because I knew that would give me an excuse for them 'not to work' for me. I sailed through it and haven't looked back.

Don't worry about the weight thing, you're giving yourself an out before you start.
You. Can. Do. This.

proseccoaficionado Tue 01-Jan-19 09:43:32

Wow. I am amazed at the support I got on here. I will definitely come back on this thread when the time comes.

I am so happy I finally took this decision and that I asked on here. So many positive stories!

MakeLemonade Tue 01-Jan-19 09:44:05

This might have just been me but every time I got a cold/cough when I was a smoker I was convinced I had lung cancer. Made for very stressful winters.

proseccoaficionado Tue 01-Jan-19 09:44:27

@MissTook I was thinking to buy patches (and anything available) but only use them if it gets really rough. I am on 20 a day but I think recently I'm on a bit more🙄

proseccoaficionado Tue 01-Jan-19 09:45:19

@MakeLemonade oh I'm a fan of throat cancer. I had sinusitis + post nasal drip and I convinced myself I had sinus + throat cancer. Yay me. Nope.

userschmoozer Tue 01-Jan-19 09:47:35

Don't use patches before you've tried Alan Carrs Easiway. I used to chain smoke and didn't really want to quit. I didn't think it would work for me. I stopped easily, the few cravings were dealt with using a herbal cigarette. I only used one packet of those and I was done.

ReadingIsFundamental Tue 01-Jan-19 09:48:24

I had stopped for 7 years, then stupidly had a couple on a night out and went back to full time smoking for a year. I quit again in June using Allan Carr’s Easy Way to stop smoking for women. I also downloaded the smoke free app. In 6 months, I’ve saved £2,000 according to smoke free. It also documents the health advantages of giving up so is a good motivator not to start again.
I love not having to hide my disgusting habit from my kids or wider family. I love not having to disappear outside on holiday or after a family meal in order to have a quick smoke. I think I’ve been less stressed after giving up than I was when I was using it as a stress-reliever. I was also incredibly ashamed of myself for smoking again so successfully giving up felt like a real achievement.
Honestly, there are too many advantages to list. All the best with giving up, once you have made up your mind it’s really not difficult. And I wasn’t a grumpy cow when giving up, because I was very happy to be free of nicotine.

proseccoaficionado Tue 01-Jan-19 09:48:35

@userschmoozer Actually now you say that I remember a few days ago I read some tips online written by Allan Carr and he said that it you use patches / any other aid you will convince your brain that you are making a sacrifice. You're absolutely right, thanks for the reminder

proseccoaficionado Tue 01-Jan-19 09:49:24

@ReadingIsFundamental I had no idea there's an app! That's great!

TooTrueToBeGood Tue 01-Jan-19 09:49:39

I quit 9 years ago having smoked heavily since i was not even a teenager.

Benefits:
No longer smell like a tramp
Saving a fortune
Fitter now in my fifties than I've ever been before
Teeth and nails no longer yellow
Food tastes and smells more intense
Much more stable temperament.

Only two downsides I can think of:
I can smell a smoker from 100 metres and they're absolutely rank.
I'm much less likely to die early so have had to seriously review my pension planning.

CoddledAsAMommet Tue 01-Jan-19 09:49:41

Do you have a One You service where you live? (Just Google One You and your county /borough.) You're 4x more likely to quit if you have support. The support is free (even patches/gums etc are free if you decide you want to go that route) and brilliant quality. Good luck.

HJWT Tue 01-Jan-19 09:49:49

@proseccoaficionado I just felt so much better, and the STINK of people smoking is VILE once you stop yourself! I actually had a cigarette last summer when i was drunk didn't even manage more than 2 'gos' and wanted to vom envy

TroubledMuchly Tue 01-Jan-19 09:50:12

Do it!!!

Contrary to others stories of misery and hardship, I found quitting easy. Maybe because I was expecting the worst!

The benefits are huge.

I decided to quit once, and once only, like PP have suggested. Make your decision that you're now an ex smoker. Cravings are temporary, but you'll have better health the rest of your life!

I've gone from being an overweight unfit smoker to a slim, super healthy half-marathon runner. With a LOT less stress!

It will change your life!

proseccoaficionado Tue 01-Jan-19 09:51:08

@TooTrueToBeGood not specifically that one but I found something like "smoker anonymous" (???). I admit I had a laugh.

Hiiii, I am proseccoaficionado and I'm a smoker🙄

proseccoaficionado Tue 01-Jan-19 09:51:52

@TroubledMuchly That's the best part, I believe. I'm prepared for the worst of the worst. So perhaps it can't be that bad as I convinced myself it will be

HJWT Tue 01-Jan-19 09:52:07

@proseccoaficionado when my Dad quit he chewed gum and not he has no teeth be sucks of sweets 😂

CatcherofDreams Tue 01-Jan-19 09:53:23

Another vote for Alan Carr and his Easy Way to Stop Smoking. I used this and had no cravings, just a sense of pure happiness that I had joined the ranks of the non smokers.
I didn't plan a quit day, I just stopped. I used to bulk buy my cigarettes and still had a couple of packs 'in stock' which were completely useless to me of course due to my 'non-smoker' status.
I can never have a single cigarette again or even 'just one puff' because then I would be a smoker again.
The best thing is being able to lie in bed and enjoy a cuppa instead of dragging on my dressing gown and going outside in the cold for a cigarette.

R3b3kah Tue 01-Jan-19 09:54:13

I threw away every lighter, rizzla, filter etc completely got rid of it all.
Fully charged up my vape the night I would have my last fag... woke up in the morning and vaped only, not as fantastic as some who can go completely cold turkey but after many failed attempts I still can’t believe I’ve been off them almost 2 years

humblesims Tue 01-Jan-19 09:55:56

it is so much less stressful to be a non-smoker
this is very true. you dont realise how much time you spend worry about giving up smoking until you look at it in the rear view mirror and think to yourself what was I so worried about. There are zero regrets. Everything is a positive. Your health, your wallet, your appearance etc. Smoking feels like a friend you are going to mourn the loss of but honestly this is a mind trick. You wont mourn it and you wont miss it once that hard part is done. When the craving strikes just distract yourself with something (not food) and be strong until its passed. DO NOT GIVE IN TO IT EVEN ONCE!. Its a little gaslighting monster in your brain and you can beat it. You will never regret it or mourn it. Good Luck. I found a mantra useful "All I have to do is not smoke".

WhatNow40 Tue 01-Jan-19 09:56:56

DM quit with help from the dr, after 40 yrs. she discovered the smoking has been masking symptoms of diabetes. After stopping, her body started to cleanse itself which then highlighted the other symptoms.

FIL had treatment for bowel cancer. He'd spent 2 wks in hospital and his body was over the physical nicotine addiction. After that, it was dealing with the other aspects of addiction such as habits, boredom and social identity. He's found a higher appreciation for his health and is enjoying being able to taste the finer notes in good red wine.

Best of luck to you.

TroubledMuchly Tue 01-Jan-19 09:58:51

I really was expecting it to be much harder. But be firm, focus on the positives (write a list) and tell yourself you've done the hardest bit by deciding to quit.

Honestly I was worried about how moody I'd be, how much weight I'd put on, but I was SO proud of myself for doing it, every hour I made it, (then hours into days, weeks, months, years) that positivity outweighed the cravings.

I actually lost weight and got better skin, my DH was really proud, I had loads more dosh, I didn't stink anymore, I didn't get stressed as much and life was brighter.

The best bit was (a year after quitting) going on a long-haul flight with zero worries about when I could next have a fag.

It's like being free, and you won't regret it smile

feelingverylazytoday Tue 01-Jan-19 09:59:14

I notice my increased fitness the most, I can swim and walk for hours without getting out of breath. I very rarely get a cough now. And of course all the money I don't spend.
Also my eldest (adult) child smokes, because I smoked when he was little I hold myself partly responsible for that. My younger doesn't smoke and I think thats partly due to spending most of his life in a smokefree household.
I gave up 14 years ago after several attempts, I was a 30/day smoker. I used patches. I sometimes think I would have been dead now if I hadnt quit.
As to weight gain, yes I did unfortunately, and I was obese for a few years. I can't put that down to just quitting smoking though. I should have got on top of it earlier. If you increase your exercise and eat properly instead of flopping around eating instead of smoking (like I did) then you should be fine. I think I read that the average weight gain after quitting is eleven pounds, that is a manageable amount of weight to lose, and has to be compared to the advantages of giving up smoking. Giving up smoking is the most effective change you can make for your health.

LostInShoebiz Tue 01-Jan-19 10:00:34

Tomatoes and aubergines have nicotine in them and I switched to snacking on those as an interim measure. Keeps the hands busy and (probably more placebo than anything) I was getting my nicotine fix. Plus they’re not massively calorific like if you had some crisps to occupy your hands.

AuntieGeek Tue 01-Jan-19 10:01:17

Champix helped me. Been smoke free for 6 weeks on Thursday and it makes me feel so good that my lung capacity is going to be ok again.

Blueblueyellow Tue 01-Jan-19 10:01:19

Watching with interest Op, want to quit too. Its just like aaah what do I do if I don't smoke iykwim. Do you feel like that too?

gimmeadoughnut123 Tue 01-Jan-19 10:03:19

I'm not a smoker but family members have been heavy smokers.
Skin looked better, teeth staining wasn't so bad, coughed less (I doubt they noticed all this but I certainly did!). Other family members were also less worried about bringing small babies to see them because of second hand smoke etc.

DroningOn Tue 01-Jan-19 10:03:29

Lots of money

Feeling healthy again.

Get a jar and stick your fag money in it in cash every time you'd have bought ciggies. You'll be amazed how quickly you can build up a decent pit for a treat of some sort.

grannycake Tue 01-Jan-19 10:05:17

So much more money! Also started running. No standing outside in the cold and the rain just to have a ciggie. Iused to put the money aside and spend it on things that I wanted but didn't need, e.g. bose ipad dock, woodburning stove. Once my DH gave up too we have split the savings 3 ways - one third each to spend how we want and the remaining third towards holidays

TroubledMuchly Tue 01-Jan-19 10:06:17

The weight thing is definitely an attitude thing. If you're 'poor me, I'm struggling, I'll have a biscuit/cake/crisps' then you'll of course likely put weight on. But emotional eating like this is so unhealthy. Be mindful of this trap.

Instead when you're struggling, I'd suggest non-food treats. 'I'll go see a movie' or 'ill go for a nice walk' will install a healthier emotional barrier to deal with negative feelings.

I went from a size 22 to a size 10 by doing this, 6 years ago. The same time I quit smoking. It really did change my life.

You can do this!

DroningOn Tue 01-Jan-19 10:09:31

I tried to quit on a whim unsuccessfully several times and then did the month/6week long count down, made a huge difference, used the time to psych myself up and really commit to the change.

Really found that I used fags to break up my day - I'll do this then go for a fag, I'll have a quick fag before starting that task etc.

Really does take a change of mindset about how your spend your time during the day. best of luck OP

Saladd0dger Tue 01-Jan-19 10:10:18

I can run when iv quite smoking, no cough or wheeze. Downside is working in a super market you realise how much some people smell 🤮

ThanksForAllTheFish Tue 01-Jan-19 10:10:20

I can smell things again. I never noticed how bad my sense of smell had become until I quit. I think it was a good 6 months for me to really notice it. A bit of a flip side to that is that I no longer like my favourite perfume - I find it too strong now. I remember the first time I really noticed my sense of smell had returned, I was walking past the flower section in Tesco and I could smell the flowers. Previously I really had to stick my nose in to smell flowers but now I can smell them at a distance. (Negitives to this are I can now smell all the unpleasant smells when I travel on the bus - a lot of stale pee smells) sad

The taste of food has changed, again flavours are stronger and I’ve stopped eating some old favourites as I don’t like them anymore but I love some other types food I was never that fussed about in the past.

The money is obviously a big one. I’ve saved so much money.

Also if I get a cold now I no longer get a lingering cough. I used to always have a 2/3 week cough after a cold but that just doesn’t happen now.

Anyway good luck OP. It’s a big decision to make but I promise you won’t regret quitting. Once you get passed the tricky first few months it becomes really easy and you stop thinking about smoking altogether. I think in the past year the thought of having a cigarette has came into my head once and it was just a fleeting thought during something really stressful.

grannycake Tue 01-Jan-19 10:11:31

I was really careful not to replace my cigs with food as I knew I would use weight gain as an excuse to smoke again. Sugar free sweets helped a bit

Highginx Tue 01-Jan-19 10:11:33

I had reached the point where I hated myself every time. I felt incredible crushing guilt. It’s so nice that I don’t have to live that 15 times a day anymore.

I still dream that I light up and I wake up feeling amazing when it’s not true. I can’t even describe the relief.

Physically, I don’t have chest or this weird shoulder pain I used to get. I don’t wake up feeling hungover every day. I don’t stink. I don’t shadily try to find spots to smoke where other people can’t see me, feeling ashamed. I don’t get the coating on the tongue or the sore throats. I can breathe deeper.

I have money! And although I put on about a stone the first year, I lost that, and more, later on.

Mostly I kept envisaging my young kids watching me die a long death, asking themselves why I’d actively choose to die. That was what got me through each day.

Good luck OP!

Cindas Tue 01-Jan-19 10:14:08

When I sing, I can now hit notes higher than I have for years, as I discovered at the school carol service. Not sure those around me found the experience as pleasing as I did. I resisted giving the descants a go, for fear of shattering the church windows.

Also, as a vaper, I still have a cough, but it's a vaper's cough, which is far superior, and lemon flavoured.

Highginx Tue 01-Jan-19 10:17:56

Also, and obviously this is totally up to you, but do consider giving up even though you’ve got stressful times ahead - you give yourself a chance to prove that you can do it, even in the trickiest of circumstances. There will always be stressful times. You just need to build up a track record. Every time you don’t smoke when you’re stressed, every time you don’t smoke when you’re celebrating, every time you don’t smoke when you’re bored, is a hurdle that you’ve jumped and a marker that shows you the two things can be mutually exclusive. Essentially addiction has hijacked every event and emotion you have and you need to start stripping that away.

ThanksForAllTheFish Tue 01-Jan-19 10:21:19

Oh I forgot to say, I listened to a few stop smoking hypnosis things and I’m not sure if it worked as such but it was something I used to help me stop. I just searched ‘stop smoking hypnosis’ on YouTube and listened to it with headphones before bed. I think I listened to it every night the first week and didn’t feel the need to after that.

BaconPringles Tue 01-Jan-19 10:24:52

My coats not stinking of smoking after one day
My hair not stinking of smoke
Fitness is much easier
Vaping helped me get off it - it only took two weeks but I felt I was wasting time vaping and couldn’t be arsed charging the thing. And then that was me.

Highginx Tue 01-Jan-19 10:25:02

Another Alan Carr success here, by the way. I read it six times to let it sink in and I haven’t smoked for years with no substitutes.

The point from a PP about stress is spot on. It’s so stressful being a smoker - the constant wanting, the cognitive dissonance of knowing it’s killing you. Life so so much easier without it. Honestly.

And if you can, I’d try cold turkey. You need to change your mindset as well as your smoking and you’re essentially still addicted if you replace nicotine with something else. But, that’s just me.

MrsIronfoundersson Tue 01-Jan-19 10:38:33

Am going to read Allan Carr now and do it! Way too much money goes on cigarettes, I might as well just burn ten pound notes.

shecamefromgreece Tue 01-Jan-19 10:49:06

I quit six years ago using champix and reading the Allan Carr book. I had smoked for twenty years, twenty a day, first thing I did in the morning and last thing I did at night.
The things that really helped me were (be warned some are a bit cheesy but I just kept repeating them to myself!)
I'm not giving up anything I'm just getting rid of something that's making me unhappy
I didn't drink for the first month, I knew I would have one if I was drinking
I thought I enjoyed smoking but what I realised was enjoyed smoking to get rid of the craving that was caused by smoking in the first place!
The fear of giving much is much much worse than actually doing it
But don't be fooled when it's actually easier than you thought int o thinking "oh this is fine I can give up anytime I will just have one and give up again tomorrow"

My big thing was getting to the point where I didn't want one or think about it anymore. I once I got there it felt bloody amazing!grin

proseccoaficionado Tue 01-Jan-19 10:52:31

@Blueblueyellow exactly. I feel nuts because I actually thought at some point "wtf do I do with so much time?" It's crazy, isn't it? The cigs control us, we don't control them!

PookieDo Tue 01-Jan-19 10:54:16

My skin is a much nicer colour
I don’t smell
More money!

trojanpony Tue 01-Jan-19 10:56:01

Nicotine replacements are awful they are so itchy. angry

Don’t go drinking for the first few weeks and when you do go to the pub “practice” ie go for one and leave, then build up.
Have a supportive vocal non-smoker about as smokers always want to drag you back into their smokey ways (you would be really surprised how crap people are at supporting quitters)

I didn’t notice any mega benefits like food tasted better but I did notice I had more cash and I LOVED the freedom - no going out in the rain when it’s bloody freezing. No getting antsy if meeting ran over. No more smoking lounges in the airport envy (not envy)

proseccoaficionado Tue 01-Jan-19 10:56:30

I am shocked at how your responses make SO MUCH SENSE. I feel like I've been a slave for years now

My reasons to quit are: (not worried about smell because of the iqos that doesn't really smell like a normal cig)
1. I am addicted and I always think about it. I completely agree with pp who said smoking is stressful. Now that I think about it YOU ARE RIGHT. Also trying to find a smoking lounge at the airport smoking with 100 other people and smelling like pure shit in 2 minutes
2. No more sore throat, no more colds that turn into sinusitis (sinusitis is horrible, if you ever had it you know)
3. No more MONEY WASTED. I can travel more, yay!
4. No more worries about how it will impact my health.
5. No more thinking when we'll try to ttc.

Oysterbabe Tue 01-Jan-19 10:57:05

You only really fully appreciate how much your life is controlled by it when you stop. Suddenly a long haul flight or even a long film at the cinema is not such a problem. I knew I'd quit for good when I saw my friends practically sprint for the exits at the end of lord of the rings so they could light up.

proseccoaficionado Tue 01-Jan-19 10:58:03

@trojanpony you know what's weird? My DP doesn't smoke, in our group of friends there's only one smoker, my dad doesn't smoke, my mom smokes about 5/day but NEVER in their house (so when I go I won't be tempted), and his parents don't smoke. My future bil and sil don't smoke either

proseccoaficionado Tue 01-Jan-19 10:58:55

@Oysterbabe long haul flights are the worst. I always find myself looking desperately for smoking lounges blush

proseccoaficionado Tue 01-Jan-19 11:00:06

Also I believe it will be a big plus that I don't really drink alcohol or coffee. I do drink that bloody garbage diet coke which I use it when I'm smoking.

Know what? I'm quitting Diet coke too.

user1466783975 Tue 01-Jan-19 11:30:45

I gave up three years ago and started to vape ( one called Blu they sell at the co op,it's small,discreet and cheap).The liquid I get from places like home bargains for under a pound. I haven't craved a cig since.

Good luck in whatever way you chose to give up x

user1466783975 Tue 01-Jan-19 11:34:09

Actually,i haven't had a cold in years. Get a slight tickly throat but then it goes after a day. Also that £40 a month soon adds up

Withasideofbeans Tue 01-Jan-19 11:38:05

I’ve recently quit smoking (1 month today!) and started vaping. The catalyst for me was the fear of losing my teeth. I’ve noticed the stale smell on people who smoke, it’s gross. Horrified to think that I used to smell like that. I’m really proud of myself, I was a very heavy chain smoker and I never thought I’d be able to do it. Highly recommend trying a vape. You’ll save a lot of money and feel so proud of yourself, go for it grin

Magickl Tue 01-Jan-19 11:39:24

I don't have to wash my hair or clothes as often because I don't stink. I have a lot more money.
On the downside, the smell of other's smoke really disgusts me.

Birdie6 Tue 01-Jan-19 11:42:10

I got a lot richer.

proseccoaficionado Tue 01-Jan-19 11:53:29

@user1466783975 I am so so so curious about the flu/sinusitis/colds. I can bet it will make a difference in the sinusitis issues. I had it 2 times (2 years ago and now when it lasted 4 bloody weeks!!!!!!!!!) and I am so ready to never have it again.

proseccoaficionado Tue 01-Jan-19 11:54:48

@Birdie6 ok I took the plunge and I'm spending bloody €250 monthly (roughly). I can certainly do stuff with €3000/year.

proseccoaficionado Tue 01-Jan-19 11:55:03

@Withasideofbeans YAY YOU!!! Well done!!!🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

Birdie6 Tue 01-Jan-19 12:30:47

Good for you ! Stick to it and you'll never regret it.

showmeyourgroovymoves Tue 01-Jan-19 12:52:18

I quit 12 years ago when pg. It was fucking hard but I was determined to do it. In fact, it's the hardest thing I have ever done. I did it with the help of the NHS stop smoking service but if it was today, I would vape.

I had my last fag in the evening (30th Nov 2008) and went to bed. Woke up a non smoker! I woke up crying as I was scared but I got through the day (despite MIL chain smoking and telling me she smoked all through her 2 pregnancies 🙄) and I was so proud of myself.

I agree with the PP....do it once. Its pretty tough not to smoke for an entire day, so don't do all that good work only to cave in.

One day at a time. If you have a craving, find something to do. Change routines.

If I can do it, anyone can. Good luck xx

showmeyourgroovymoves Tue 01-Jan-19 12:54:12

30th November 2006 even. I had a few cigarettes in the packet in my handbag for months too 😊.....just in case! Never smoked them.

Rayne22 Tue 01-Jan-19 13:00:45

I gave up smoking on new year day last year and haven't had one since.

I bought an e-cig and to begin with I didn't like it and thought it was useless. Gave it a few weeks and then I began to like it more than cigarettes!

I think the best thing for me was getting rid of that horrible smoke smell that lingered in all my clothes, hair and space around me. Also knowing that my health must be a lot better now too.

I still vape and do need to work on weening myself off it.

BarbaraRoyale Tue 01-Jan-19 13:04:23

I bloody loved smoking but I did it
Buy a good vape, you'll never look back
I bought myself a treat with the money saved for the first 6 months so I had something tangible to show for it

Craft1905 Tue 01-Jan-19 13:07:53

Saved loads of money....that I spent on cocaine.

RoseBromley Tue 01-Jan-19 13:08:51

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

danni0509 Tue 01-Jan-19 13:10:19

I quit 6 weeks ago using a vape.

My skins still shit & I still feel like shit, but I'm saving £££ and in the long run my health will benefit.

As long as I'm puffing on my vape I'm ok and not needing a fag! Haven't even thought about having one since about the third week tbh.

I smoked 10-15 a day (barring pregnancy) for 15 years and I enjoyed having a fag. I'm enjoying vaping now though.

LizzieVereker Tue 01-Jan-19 13:10:27

I smoked 20 a day for over 20 years. I loved smoking. I had to quit three years ago due to a critical illness and just went cold turkey (I’d fagfed about with parches and vaping beforehand but they never worked permanently for me). It was so much easier to quit than I thought it would be, so I hope it will be for you too. It’s just such a relief not to think about it anymore.

The best things are:
More money
Less guilt
Not having to stress about it, remember to buy cigs, find a time and place to smoke.
My skin looks amazing
I was worried I’d eat more but actually found exercise easier as I have more breath and as I beat nicotine I just feel more “I can do it! “ about exercise.

Good luck, OP xx

Foxyscarf Tue 01-Jan-19 13:11:55

Definitely lack of stress. It's so nice not to worry about when you can smoke, e.g. on a plane or when you're at work. I quit vaping a couple of months ago too and it's just freeing not having an addiction.

SofaKingFedUp Tue 01-Jan-19 13:24:16

I quit just over a year ago when i found out I was pregnant, it was easy for me to do it at that time as I had my baby to motivate me. Now, my DD is 8 months and I have had puff or 2 when I've had a few drinks on 2 occasions. I do miss it sometimes, but j think it's just because I've been through alot of stress this past year, but in all honesty the only difference I see is that I have more money and I don't smell of stale smoke.
My health was pretty good even when I smoked, i very rarely got ill and even a cold only last a day or 2. So that side of things I can't relate to.
I stopped smoking using niquitin mints, the midwife recommended them and it made it pretty easy, I stopped smoking completely over night, basically. Just used the mints instead. And then I stopped using the mints after 2 months I think it was.

Good luck! You can do it!

SofaKingFedUp Tue 01-Jan-19 13:31:10

I also read Allen carr's book and I stopped over night for a year a few years ago but then started again, stupidly. I tried to read the book again to stop but it didn't work the second time. I would recommend it, just don't be silly and force yourself to start again x

anitagreen Tue 01-Jan-19 13:43:36

I gave up when I was pregnant and stopped for about a year in that time i felt healithier and the smell used to make me feel so sick and dirty, stupidly I went on a night out and started smoking and then started the next day. sad

BikeTart Tue 01-Jan-19 13:45:01

I did Alan Carr's workshop and it was the easiest thing I ever did.

I'm richer. I'm certainly healthier and I don't have health anxiety any more.
I smell good and never have to check out where the 'smokers corner' is everywhere I go.
I enjoy food more and I didn't put on weight in fact I lost weight because I became naturally more active.
My house insurance is cheaper.
I stopped drinking alcohol which was a completely unintended but very good thing because I was doing too much of that too!!

Moominfan Tue 01-Jan-19 13:50:03

I've got my taste buds back. My hands and fingers don't stink if nicotine. I noticed my right hand was ageing rapidly compared to left. There's still a difference now 5 years later. No way could I afford to smoke now, 10 for twenty?

madcatladyforever Tue 01-Jan-19 13:50:44

15 years now.
I don't smell like an ashtray anymore.
I don't have lungs that feel like I need to stand on my head to clear them.
I have lost that nasty grey look.My wrinkles have improved x 100.
No more eye bags.
My gums have gone from gum disease to normal, my dentist says it's very unlikely I'll lose my teeth now. Haven't lost a single one since I gave up smoking 15 years ago.
No desperation to have a fag when I'm working in a clinic that doesn't allow smoking anywhere.
Better hair and nails.
Feel great in the morning instead of exhausted.
Can walk up a big hill easily.
I could go on and on.

madcatladyforever Tue 01-Jan-19 13:52:24

Oh yes and after failing to give up numerous times, took 2 weeks off work and went cold turkey. That worked.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »