Talk

Advanced search

To think once someone had been off work with stress

(228 Posts)
User10002000 Sun 30-Dec-18 14:13:46

For six weeks they are unlikely to return. I've got a colleague who's been off six weeks and we are all covering their work. We are unable to start a recruitment process as they are still being paid.

Nacreous Sun 30-Dec-18 14:15:11

One of my colleagues was off for 3 months, came back, saw out another 8 months while they looked for a job that wasn't even worse than their current one and then left. So it's not definite, though I don't know if that's helpful or not!

PurpleDaisies Sun 30-Dec-18 14:16:12

They could still come back. Was there a specific trigger? If that was sorted out it would be easier for them to return.

GaryBaldbiscuit Sun 30-Dec-18 14:17:16

Six weeks is not long

notacooldad Sun 30-Dec-18 14:17:19

I had 5 months off with work related stress. I went back and I'm still there!

Abibranning Sun 30-Dec-18 14:17:24

I was off for 12 weeks, it was hard to come back, but given the right support and encouragement I did it. I don't think there's any reason to assume they won't come back as for replacing them, that's completely out of the question and hardly supportive.

cheesywotnots Sun 30-Dec-18 14:18:02

I hope your colleague is feeling better, I hope they are getting the support they need.

PurpleDaisies Sun 30-Dec-18 14:18:47

I agree, your post doesn’t exactly make you sound like the most supportive employer.

Suomynona Sun 30-Dec-18 14:18:55

Our Manager has recently returned from almost a year off. Albeit part-time now.

Chapterandverse Sun 30-Dec-18 14:19:01

I've a colleague who has been off since June with stress.

Another whose sick line went in on December 5 for 4 weeks

And yet another who calls in sick every few days.

It's the 3rd colleague who causes more hassle as at least we know the other two aren't coming in. With the 3rd he lets us all down and adds more work.

Cheby Sun 30-Dec-18 14:19:20

It depends what the cause of the stress is. If it’s work-related stress, then I think you’re probably right. Not in every case, of course. But IME when people have extended absences like this they come back for short periods before going off again and eventually leave or contract terminated on health grounds. Without a significant change in working circumstances/role they are unlikely to make a successful return.

If the stress is due to a combination of issues, maybe bereavement or relationship breakdown, maybe in combination with work, then I think they very well could make a successful return to work once those things are resolved.

SusanneLinder Sun 30-Dec-18 14:19:21

Nope. I was off with stress once ( many years back), for 3 months.
If anything the employer should be looking to support the employee.
Moaning about not being able to start a recruitment process? Would you do that if they had cancer? Why should MH issues be treated differently?
This is an appalling post.

SauvignonBlanche Sun 30-Dec-18 14:20:17

YABU, what a strange assumption.

Outwards Sun 30-Dec-18 14:22:10

YABU, are you not concerned about your colleague??

CardsforKittens Sun 30-Dec-18 14:22:12

I think after a year people are less likely to return. A few weeks is probably not an indication. Most people who need time off for stress need a few weeks. Whether they return might depend on the cause of the stress.

cheesywotnots Sun 30-Dec-18 14:22:31

Maybe when people go off with stress it's because of the work, their colleagues, bullying, or the work environment, management should be looking into the reasons. Employers don't like it when staff get signed off sick with work related stress.

CMOTDibbler Sun 30-Dec-18 14:24:29

DH had nearly a year off, had a gradual return to work under OH advice, and hasn't had a day off in the 7 years since. He'd had a 'perfect storm' of things happen which triggered it, so don't judge what might happen

CardsforKittens Sun 30-Dec-18 14:25:22

Meant to say need a minimum of a few weeks. One week wouldn't normally be enough. Three to six months is quite normal.

recklessruby Sun 30-Dec-18 14:25:31

At our place you are allowed 6 months off with full pay and 3 months half pay. Don't know what you'll think of that, OP.
Someone with stress can get well with support but it's not like a cold that goes in a week
Also a phased return (part time) to work could help.
Be careful of trying to recruit to fill their place. What does HR say?
Like a pp I think mental health problems should be treated the same as physical health problems at work. Stress isn't fun.

User10002000 Sun 30-Dec-18 14:25:44

I didn't say I wasn't concerned about them of course I am. The increase in the work load is hard for us all to cope with. It's work related stress.

ScreamingValenta Sun 30-Dec-18 14:25:55

No, I have known people off longer than that who have come back - with the right support - and been fine.

Justgivemesomepeace Sun 30-Dec-18 14:25:58

My boss was off from nov-april, then july to now. Im assured shes coming back after new year. 6 weeks is nothing.

hidinginthenightgarden Sun 30-Dec-18 14:27:31

2 people at my place of work took 6 & 4 months off. Both came back.

Bombardier25966 Sun 30-Dec-18 14:27:51

Are you employer or a colleague? If the employer, what are you doing to resolve the stress issue?

NerrSnerr Sun 30-Dec-18 14:27:50

One of my colleagues has been off for 8 months with depression.

It would be awful to consider recruitment until the person has handed in notice (or agreed with HR to leave).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »