Talk

Advanced search

Job offer withdrawn

(125 Posts)
MassiveMug Sat 15-Dec-18 21:11:55

Not an aibu, just gutted and want to rant.

How lovely to receive the letter on a Saturday lunchtime to say my offer of employment has been withdrawn because I didn’t meet the requirements in their test. Fair enough but I did the test 2 pissing weeks ago and it gives you the results instantly. Since then they have been in touch asking me for xy and z. Just feel both gutted and annoyed!

FoxFoxSierra Sat 15-Dec-18 21:13:55

Oh that's horrible, so sorry op! What was the test?

MassiveMug Sat 15-Dec-18 21:16:29

It was a general maths and English test for a teaching assistant job.

Sofabitch Sat 15-Dec-18 21:18:24

Might the letter have been sent in error?

jgjgjgjgjg Sat 15-Dec-18 21:20:17

If you're going to apply for other similar roles you'll need to do some studying/get some tutoring. It's a very basic test.

MassiveMug Sat 15-Dec-18 21:21:16

sofa I doubt it as it was very detailed, iykwim

Gardai Sat 15-Dec-18 21:22:34

@jgjgjgjg perhaps you need to brush up on your skills regarding tact.

Sofabitch Sat 15-Dec-18 21:23:45

that's a real shame and poor form to not tell you sooner.

brizzledrizzle Sat 15-Dec-18 21:24:25

Sorry to hear that OP.
You might find this website useful as it's got a link to the practice tests that would be teachers have to pass.

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Sat 15-Dec-18 21:24:32

TAs do need those skills though so it’s understandable they can’t hire you if you don’t meet the basic standard.

brizzledrizzle Sat 15-Dec-18 21:24:42

The link is useful isn't it?!
sta.education.gov.uk/professional-skills-tests/numeracy-skills-tests#PT72

brizzledrizzle Sat 15-Dec-18 21:25:44

sta.education.gov.uk/professional-skills-tests/literacy-skills-tests#LPT62

here's the English one

lily2403 Sat 15-Dec-18 21:27:16

@jgjgjgjgjg

Wow that wasn’t very nice

MassiveMug Sat 15-Dec-18 21:28:23

georgie I totally understand that as I said in my op, but to what 2 weeks before telling me as the results come up instantly. Also since then, I have been asked to do some online mandatory training which I have taken the time to complete as well as chasing references up, to then be told...by the way you haven’t got the job anymore sad

MassiveMug Sat 15-Dec-18 21:28:42

Wait not what

cardifcannonball Sat 15-Dec-18 21:30:17

That's really rubbish, OP. It you see the results instantly, does that mean you knew what the required marks were, and were told on the day what you'd got? I'm guessing not. I'm going to assume someone has screwed up as checking your score should be part of the decision of whether to make you an offer.
Try and salvage something by getting feedback on the errors you made, so you know where you need to revise. Good luck x

MassiveMug Sat 15-Dec-18 21:36:55

brizzle thanks for the link

cardif yes I saw the results and got slightly lower then the required mark so was worried. But never heard anything and they said that they put you on a maths and English course anyway.

mumsastudent Sat 15-Dec-18 21:41:32

hmm I would ask for feedback & I would also check if there was anything about your references. Sometimes (the NHS does this) they ask for past company to mark you on various attributes (social skills??) & if these aren't considered good enough you don't get offered the job - this can also happened with vetting. I do not mean to suggest that you are not up to scratch - simply its the system. I always think that under these circumstances all employers should give a detailed feedback. Look op - I always believe that if you don't get a job this time - there will be a better opportunity coming up - don't get disheartened start new plans for next year! smile

ForgivenessIsDivine Sat 15-Dec-18 21:47:34

Ask if you can re take the test.

PumpedUpTermite Sat 15-Dec-18 21:47:48

I presume you were the second choice candidate and the first choice has now changed their minds and wants the job.
Piss poor on their part TBH if your results were too low you shouldn’t have got the job I agree but they should’ve told you straight away.
Yanbu.

ViserionTheDragon Sat 15-Dec-18 21:53:46

flowers for you OP. That's a sign that they're shit to work for tbh. Perhaps keep doing practice tests and when you're ready, try again with a school you really want to work for. Good luck!

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Sat 15-Dec-18 21:54:36

Oh of course, I’m not disagreeing with you OP flowers

MassiveMug Sat 15-Dec-18 21:58:45

This is why I’m really pissed off because they should have told me the following day at least.

My DF is in the same job and has also said that I should have been given the chance to retake.

Thanks mums I believe everything happens for a reason and it was t the right job for me smile

FrankieChips Sat 15-Dec-18 22:14:46

Christ, I would have failed those tests. Calculators and spellcheck have made me so lazy (and I’m terrible at maths in general).

MassiveMug Sat 15-Dec-18 22:17:34

frankie that’s so true. I did my GCSE’s in 1993 and not worked for 11yrs so my brain has become very lazy smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »