Talk

Advanced search

To delay my period for Christmas?

(44 Posts)
ernjas Sat 15-Dec-18 14:29:43

I have horribly heavy periods. It's looking like I could be on my period for Christmas but my cycles are so irregular that I can't be sure but I'm due on today and there's no sign.

Would it be unreasonable to get the medication that delays them for the Christmas period? With how heavy my periods are I think it'd put a dampener on Christmas as I'm always so uncomfortable.

Jackshouse Sat 15-Dec-18 14:31:14

The medication turned me into a bloated emotional wreck.

ernjas Sat 15-Dec-18 14:31:48

@Jackshouse this is another thing I worried about, the side effects of the medication over Christmas! Feel like I'm in a lose lose hormonal situation.

UpOnDown Sat 15-Dec-18 14:32:40

I'm hopefully doing this...

ernjas Sat 15-Dec-18 14:35:18

Is it only effective when you take it a few days before your period is due? Obviously I'm past when mine is due now and not sure when it could come onconfused such bad timing, I've managed naturally to never be on a period at Christmas time before.

KatnissMellark Sat 15-Dec-18 14:35:20

It's called norethisterone, I had no side effects from it. You can actually get it prescribed over the internet if you Google it. Costs about £10-15 so not much more than usual prescription charge. I'd do it if I were you.

OneMoreNameHiccup Sat 15-Dec-18 14:36:02

Ditto on the heavy painful periods.

I find taking nurophen delays it by a day or two, if I start taking it as SOON as I feel the first slight cramp. Take it according to the instructions on the box. (2 tabs every 4 hours, maximum of 8 within 24 hours).

ernjas Sat 15-Dec-18 14:36:06

@KatnissMellark at what point in your cycle did you started taking it to delay your period? I'm worried I've left it too late!

Amanduh Sat 15-Dec-18 14:37:37

I have taken it before and during my period before and it’s always stopped it. Never had any side effects.
I’m on the pill now so for xmas or holidays just take packets back to back, but nohisterone has always worked fine sad

Amanduh Sat 15-Dec-18 14:37:45

smile not sad

KatnissMellark Sat 15-Dec-18 14:37:55

I started it a day or two before I was due. Think it's meant to be earlier than that but it did work for me. I was pretty desperate (trying to time IVF abroad) so just thought I'd give it a go.

ernjas Sat 15-Dec-18 14:40:40

Would it be fine to take it on Monday if my period has still not come on? Or should I try and leave it a couple more days if I don't come on to be closer to Christmas so I'm not taking it for a longer period? If that makes sense to anyone! I'm so lost with it confused

PottyPotterer Sat 15-Dec-18 14:45:26

I had horrific side effects from that drug and my next period lasted a month! Never again. As a fellow heavy bleeder though I was prescribed tranaxemic acid a couple of months ago, omg the difference is unbelievable, very light pain free period. I think you can get it from the pharmacist.

ernjas Sat 15-Dec-18 14:50:14

@PottyPotterer oh nosad

thank you for the advice though!

Kelsoooo Sat 15-Dec-18 14:52:51

I use northeristerone purely to delay periods at awkward times.

Doctors are always fine with that (have to pay £10 to have it prescribed, and then it cost about £5.19 at Lloyds pharmacy)

No side effects, and I've got PCOS.

Also find nurofen taken religiously during my period lightens and shortens it. But I get tummy ache with it, so that's a last resort.

ernjas Sat 15-Dec-18 14:54:18

@Kelsoooo do you always take it a couple of days before your period is due? or have you found it works if you take it when you're due on/during?

ernjas Sat 15-Dec-18 15:24:25

Does anyone know if it'll work if you've already started a period?

Kelsoooo Sun 16-Dec-18 08:43:48

It still works if you take it the day you start, it'll stop it.

mumof2sarah Sun 16-Dec-18 08:49:42

I suffer like you and delayed my period when being a bridesmaid for my friends wedding. I was the worst thing I've ever done. When my period did come it was heavier than I've had, the pains were worse than ever and lasted even longer. My Dr said they can cause issues. I'd be really sceptical to delay it OP x

nomilknosugarplease Sun 16-Dec-18 09:14:27

DD has used these a few times with no problems but she tried them once when her period had already started and it didn’t work I’m afraid.

December24 Sun 16-Dec-18 09:40:15

Boots do heavy period tablets. You take them when it starts and it apparently names things a bit lighter. No idea if they work, ask me in a few days.....

Dariosa Sun 16-Dec-18 09:47:39

Both my dds have used these to avoid having their periods during a holiday with a swimming pool.

They haven’t had any side effects whatsoever, however their normal periods are pretty light, regular and not that painful.

It seems that people who already have problems - heavy, irregular, very painful periods - are more likely to have side effects as a result of taking norethisterone.

Skyejuly Sun 16-Dec-18 09:49:57

No. I hate that stuff.

Alfiesmom74 Sun 16-Dec-18 09:54:55

If you take it when you’ve already come on it can take 2/3 days to work. Ideally you need to take it 3 days before the start of your period. I take it on holiday as 9 times out of 10 I’m bloody due on!! My next period is always a little heavier but nothing that really bothers me.

Fortybingowings Sun 16-Dec-18 09:55:29

Good luck with getting a GP appointment now before Christmas for that.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »