Talk

Advanced search

To be peed off at having to have early lunches

(14 Posts)
mother2b Mon 25-Jun-07 12:15:09

i work from 8 - 5 and an 14+6 weeks pregnant, work keep sticking me on 11.30 lunches, which is early for an 8 - 4 shift, i find that when i eat my lunch this early i get unbearably tired in the afternoon, but when i comes to my break the canteen have stoppe selling real food, i did speak to anyone i could about this and they said that it depends on when you joined the company to how early your lunch is, but someone who joined after me is on a 12 lunch, i am usually pretty much the only person in my team who is on this lunch, i feel like they are doing this to spite me, and even had a colleague mention that it seems so(without my mention first)i am a temp and have tried speaking to my agency but nothing has been done except they changed it for two days

Do i have an rights about this? it is making me make errors at work because am getting tired, which is getting me into trouble!

AIBU?

FrannyandZooey Mon 25-Jun-07 12:17:16

Don't know about your rights, but if you have a protein heavy lunch this may help you stay more alert, plus can you not take something in for your break later in the day? Nuts or similar will give you energy...

choosyfloosy Mon 25-Jun-07 12:17:40

Try ACAS for your rights (google for phone number).

In the meantime, can you take more snacks, or buy something and keep it in a fridge for later?

TBH I would doubt that you have a true right to a hot meal at any time, but not having access to other lunchtimes seems very hard.

mozhe Mon 25-Jun-07 12:30:52

Hmmm...why don't you just take a healthy packed lunch and nibble at your desk/workstation when you feel hungry...you can eat whenever then....use your actual lunch break to take some exercise....that's what I do, I'm 26 weeks pregnant...works well for me.

alicet Mon 25-Jun-07 13:50:20

I think it sounds like a ridiculous system - surely the lunch times should rotate so everyone has a chance to a convenient time and one that is less so?

OrmIrian Mon 25-Jun-07 13:51:55

Sounds a little unreasonable to make you eat so early every day. But I agree that having more protein at lunch time and taking some snacks and a drink for later would help.

Sixofone Mon 25-Jun-07 13:52:20

You should ask this on the Employment board, might get a legalfied answer there, but no YANBU - i don't think it makes any difference if you are a temp or not they have to treat you the same as other employees or it is discrimination. I think

Chelseamum Mon 25-Jun-07 13:54:03

I wouldn't put up with it if I was in your situation.... surely they MUST take into consideration that you are carrying a baby inside you and need to eat at various times of the day.... ask nicely and surely they will make arrangements to suit you.

Good luck!

Speccy Mon 25-Jun-07 13:55:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

oliveoil Mon 25-Jun-07 13:55:17

hmmm, 8am is quite an early start so tbh lunch at 11.30am seems ok to me

are you allowed to eat at your desk? not sure if you are in an office or not

what other breaks do you get? can you snack (on food from home) then?

musicianswidowAKAmumofmonsters Mon 25-Jun-07 13:59:24

when i worked and started at 8 then 11:30 waslunch. 12 onwards was for people working from 9. we only had half an hour and that was pregnant or not. i don't think there is a right to a hot meal as some places don't supply meals at all - hot or cold. If you have pasta at lunch it will last you until 4 as it has slow release carbs

mother2b Mon 25-Jun-07 14:30:58

people who work 9-5 get between 12;30 and 13:50 for lunch, most people on 8-4 get 12 or 12:20 lunch except me and one other, i feel like because i asked them if i could have a later lunch they're doing it to spite me, i would walk out if this job wasnt the most stable temp job i had been in since being with the agency, it wouldnt bother me so much but i dont get home until at least 6, i am allowed to eat at my desk but some days its so busy, call after call, that i dont get a chance to chew whatever before jamming it down my throat, i have a large egg mayo sandwich at lunch (dont have time to make at home cos really busy at mo packing to move house)but dont like to snack on stuff they have in canteen cos mostly crisp and it gives me really bad heartburn, i would just leave at 4 but dont drive and cant get lift home until 5 so may as well work extra hour.

moan moan moan

mozhe Mon 25-Jun-07 17:00:00

Hmmmm....can you think of anything positive YOU could do to improve the situation ?

dmo Mon 25-Jun-07 17:02:15

at least you get a lunch break
i work 7.15am until 6.15 pm 5 days per week with no lunch time or breaks and i am on a course every saturday for the next 4 weeks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now