Talk

Advanced search

To wish nursery opened earlier

(165 Posts)
Alarice Thu 13-Dec-18 15:30:16

And before anyone says that we need to find a new nursery - they all open at 8.

It's a pain. I really need to be in work before 8, ideally, but as it is, I get in at 8:25 looking and feeling disorganised as hell.

Yura Mon 17-Dec-18 17:08:51

Southeast - we pay £6.50 per hour, so £65 for 8-6. its anout average here

RiddleyW Sun 16-Dec-18 11:04:05

I paid 94 a day until my son got the free 15 hours. 😩

ChrisTheCat Sun 16-Dec-18 10:52:33

That's odd. We looked in SW London a few years ago and every single nursery we viewed (6/7) started at 730 or earlier.

mortifiedmama Sun 16-Dec-18 10:44:12

We've just moved from a nursery that opened 7.15- 6 to one that 8-5. Luckily DH can do drip off and I can collect. We moved as despite the increased opening hours, I found doing both drop off and pick up (it was near my work and DH worked opposite direction) too stressful and if I wasn't in work but needed DS in nursery it was a pain.

I'd love if they opened 15minutes earlier and later, as it is I have to leave bang on time (I do 8.30-4.30). But as DH does drop off I get in at 7.30 most days.

As for school, we're only considering ones with wrap around care. Luckily we live in an area where all schools are really good, so we aren't really having to compromise.

We could just about afford for me to be SAHM but I'd be shit at it!

Hubanmao Sun 16-Dec-18 10:42:28

Haven’t read the whole thread so don’t know if this has been suggested but when my dc were at nursery, I negotiated to pay double time for the 30 mins before nursery officially opened. I was teaching and needed to be in work by 8 at latest. This was back in the day when there were far fewer nurseries and childcare options. I had 2 dc in nursery at that point so was paying a lot anyway and the 30 mins double rate was a bit of an ouch, but needs must

notdaddycool Sun 16-Dec-18 10:36:58

Sometimes wish ours was 24 hours.

ItIsChristmasTime Sun 16-Dec-18 10:31:13

Mine does include nappies (if child is in them) etc but not formula. It’s London commuter distance in the SE but sadly it is the norm round here.

tryinganewname Sun 16-Dec-18 10:30:07

Wow. £75 a day?! Ours is £38 a day and that's the most of expensive of the 4 we went to look at - includes everything except formula.

ItIsChristmasTime Sun 16-Dec-18 10:27:57

@Irishgal123 per child although I’m sure I read about them offering a 10% discount for siblings - but since the baby room is even more expensive, you probably would be paying the same for a younger sibling even with the discount.

Irishgal123 Sun 16-Dec-18 10:22:26

But I have joust realized they are only open from 8.30- 5.20

Irishgal123 Sun 16-Dec-18 10:21:22

@ItIschristmastime is that for one or two children??? 😮 my sons Montessori is €4 (an hour but free from 9-12 from age 3-5) so the day rate before age 3 is only 36!!

ItIsChristmasTime Sun 16-Dec-18 10:17:58

Nursery is £75 per day here. It’s just expensive in general though but it is open 7:30 to 7:30 or the other one is open 07:00 to 18:00.

ememem84 Sun 16-Dec-18 08:57:50

Yep. It’s an insane cost. But the opening hours location etc work for us. And ds is happy there. And he does do a lot. And the food is amazing. So we get our moneys worth. But still eye watering.

We’re in jersey though where everything costs more.

SnuggyBuggy Sun 16-Dec-18 08:44:43

£997 for 3 days? Wow!

ememem84 Sun 16-Dec-18 08:38:40

Our nursery is 730 to 630. But we pay handsomely for it £997 a month for ds to go three days a week. 😱😳 how we’re going to manage when dc2 comes along next year I don’t know.

I wanted and needed to go back to work so Nursery (and the other 2 days covered by dparents) was the only option. Nursery is close to work, and open all year round. The cheaper ones here are only open term time. Which wouldn’t help us as we couldn’t cover the school holidays with our annual leave.

It is a pain op. I get it. We aim to drop ds off for around 830 every morning. We both start at 9. Some days it’s both of us. Some days just dh. Some just me. I do all the pick ups once I leave at 5. But traffic dependant there are days when we are just scraping into work.

Camomila Sun 16-Dec-18 08:28:43

When I worked in a nursery we either worked 7-4 or 9.30-6.30 or did a 4 day week 7.30-6.30.
I'll admit part of the reason I left was I didn't enjoy the early start times!

DSs nursery standard opening times are 8-6 but you can pay extra and drop the dc off at 7 or pick up at 6.30. When I drop off DS at 8 its still fairly quiet though. It's right by a train station though so I imagine people pay for the extra leeway when there's engineering works!

RiddleyW Sun 16-Dec-18 08:20:08

Not sure Goth works at the right nursery if it takes them 2 hours to get there.

Thishatisnotmine Sun 16-Dec-18 07:57:59

I'm not sure Goth237 is in the right profession.

tryinganewname Sun 16-Dec-18 06:52:58

Well I hope my baby doesn't go to your nursery @Goth237 no one made you work in a nursery with brats hmm our nursery opens at 7.15, they wouldn't do it if they didn't have to or couldn't manage it.

We won't be moving house before she starts school, we're in our 'forever' home 2 of the schools are 'Outstanding' so I hope they stay that way. Also considering the local private school, however, we're hoping to only do that for high school rather than both.

RiddleyW Sun 16-Dec-18 06:36:40

My nursery (which DS spends 8.30-5, 2 days a week in before I’m accused of being neglectful) opens 7-6.30. They have two shifts, I can’t see how they could operate otherwise.

SnuggyBuggy Sun 16-Dec-18 06:25:02

Obviously wouldn't expect it from a childminder but that's a bit poor of nurseries. Just another example of employers getting crapper I guess.

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Sun 16-Dec-18 06:19:26

Childminders don’t! And nurseries might do but they’ll just extend the current shifts, not take on more staff.

SnuggyBuggy Sun 16-Dec-18 06:17:11

@Goth237, don't nurseries with long opening hours have an early shift and a late shift?

Coolaschmoola Sun 16-Dec-18 05:32:18

"im not worthycoola"

Was the sarcasm really necessary? Don't be so facetious. You are clearly stressed by a childcare start time you cannot change, and I took time out of my day to explain how I manage the same issue without stress because I, stupidly, thought it might help. If you have restricted time at the beginning of the day surely the answer is to work later when the nursery hours ARE available?

What time do you leave school for the day. If I leave before 5pm the morning will be more stressful. I usually leave at 5.30pm, occasionally 6 or 6.30pm. Whatever is necessary to avoid feeling stressed in the morning because it throws my day. Pre child I started earlier and left earlier, but I had to change the shape of my working day to fit my dd's childcare hours.

Behindthescenes - I check my emails on my phone at 7.30am before we leave the house and when I get to work. I flick through them all, reply to anything urgent (most don't require an immediate response) and flag the rest for later.

It works for me. I hate feeling stressed so I have routines in place to minimise it.

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Sat 15-Dec-18 21:21:59

grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »