Talk

Advanced search

to want to go to my son's play this week and daughters' sports days?

(7 Posts)
curiouscat Mon 25-Jun-07 08:46:33

Hi all, has anyone else had to miss kids' play (Friday this week), sports day (Tues next week) etc due to work commitments? My dh works from home and can go. Will the kids forgive me? Age 9, 6,5.

Worst of all, can I forgive myself? Please answer, anyone who has handled this before to reassure me.

I feel awful about it, was at home 9 years with kids, finally I started ft job last February. Only 20 days holiday a year. I love the job but have only 4 days left to take this year (August off on unpaid leave), and want to save them for autumn half term. I don't know what to do about it.

Ladymuck Mon 25-Jun-07 08:51:03

To be honest I think that your chidren are lucky in that one of you can go. Very few children have the privilege of having both parents attending all of their events. It does feel strange, but don't beat yourself up about it. If your dh can be there then your kids will be happy. It is much harder if both of you have to miss these events though.

Azure Mon 25-Jun-07 08:52:13

Is it possible to work flexibly just on these occasions? Plays are often for half an hour max, and sports days normally just the afternoon. Could you make up the time / work from home? I understand, though, I had DS1's play on Friday afternoon and this afternoon is ment to be sports day. Next week is the swimming gala - only for half an hour but at 2.15pm across town (not very handy for the working parent). If you can't make it - all you can do is explain why ("to go on holiday") and feel comforted that your DH will be there.

Anna8888 Mon 25-Jun-07 08:55:51

I agree with Ladymuck. Your children are very lucky to have one parent who is able to attend. Very few children ever will have had two parents able to attend - unless both parents are out of work, and those children whose parents are out of work aren't lucky.

unknownrebelbang Mon 25-Jun-07 09:00:10

Your children will be fine, providing you are upbeat about it.

Lots of children do only manage to have one parent attend these events, and I think if you're both working this is perfectly acceptable, it doesn't have to be mum, although I can imagine how difficult it is if you've not worked through these events before.

I manage to attend most things, because I work flexi hours, DH can attend some things if they fall on the right shift, but it's not often we can both attend.

curiouscat Mon 25-Jun-07 09:11:05

Thanks, I feel a lot better now

MrsWho Mon 25-Jun-07 19:45:43

I miss loads despite working p/t as I can't always swap days.Dds don't bother but its me that does.
Did get to dd2s sports day and am going to her class assembly tomorrow.
I am also going on dd1s trip and get to go to her leaving assembly so not doing too bad this term.
Next year will be impossoble to swap days really as my job share is starting another job and won't be able to work for me as she is working elsewhere.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: