Talk

Advanced search

To ask if anyone has tried OMAD weight loss?

(58 Posts)
VikkiStMichael1 Fri 07-Dec-18 16:45:27

One Meal A Day

I've been reading up on this way of eating which is basically a form of intermittent fasting where you fast all day and consume the vast majority of your calories at one sitting where you have a meal (anything you want). Testimonials claims it increases concentration and focus as well as losing 2-3 lbs per week.

I've never been a breakfast person and I'm not generally hungry until about 2-3pm most days so was thinking of giving it a go. Just wondered if anyone hear had tried it and had any stories to share?

Notreallyhere23 Mon 10-Dec-18 09:34:54

Starting this today. Doing as many days as I can up until Christmas (have one day with a work lunch and my birthday in between so may fail then).

Feel a bit hungry but must be psychological as I am usually better without breakfast!

GummyGoddess Mon 10-Dec-18 20:45:21

Thanks for the thread. I've been skipping breakfast and eating a late lunch before grazing all afternoon anyway as DC are running circles around me.

Actively deciding to just wait until the evening has been amazing, I don't even feel hungry during the day and it's taken the pressure off with me trying to force time into my schedule to eat.

ANITAMATTIE Tue 01-Jan-19 23:55:04

I have been on OMAD and had great success...lost 30 lbs in a couple months ...i fell off and gain about 10 back in the past few month...today i am back on and would love it if others would join me in my quest to stay on OMAD ...i have 100 lbs to lose.
when i follow OMAD i don't have cheat days but on the other hand i eat what i want when i have my meal...any joiners for the new year?

Flanuary Wed 02-Jan-19 00:03:10

I think I’m going to give this a go. I did a very successful 18:6 kind of system up until the start of December, then it all turned to crap blush

I like Dr Berg and his wife on YT smile and think Dr Fung is the bees knees

Welshmamma Mon 14-Jan-19 08:19:52

Hi

Just found this thread and am on day one of OMAD having fasted in the past.... any of you ladies still fasting? Any success? Thanks

DianaT1969 Mon 14-Jan-19 08:26:53

I think intermittent fasting can be very good for the body, but would be mindful that I'd need to get all my nutrients for the day in one meal - so plenty of colour on the plate, covering all vitamins and minerals. A good balance of protein/fat/carbs (my carbs would be mainly veg to get the nutrients.
I doubt it's a good idea for people who attracted to eating fast food or high sugar/high carbs in their one meal a day.

It appeals so much because normal diets are so restrictive and this one you can eat what you like - even KFC!

PeonyBlooms Mon 14-Jan-19 08:54:13

I did this every day for a month and lost 20 pounds. it's hard for the first few days, but after that your body gets used to it, and as long as you eat enough calories for the day and get your nutrients in, it's perfectly fine to do.

Welshmamma Mon 14-Jan-19 17:29:27

Ive managed ok all day, drank plenty of fluids..... just ate fresh well balanced meal! Full up and ready to fast until tomorrow 💪🏽

Welshmamma Thu 17-Jan-19 09:07:56

Day four and ive dropped four and a half pounds, yes i am sure thats a lot of water but I havent found it difficult to sustain and feel less worried about what Im eating all the time x

TheGirlWhoLived Wed 23-Jan-19 21:02:37

Giving this a go- done two days so far and finding it remarkably easy! Be interesting to see first weeks weight loss ( if any) are you sticking to rough calories for your meal or just plate size and mindful on nutrition?

Beerflavourednipples Wed 23-Jan-19 21:08:33

Never heard of this as a diet but interestingly this is how I ate at my smallest as a student nurse.

Interesting...i have realised that this is pretty much how I ate when I was a full time teacher pre kids. Have never really eaten breakfast, and I would often skip lunch because I didn't have time, and then would eat a big meal in the evening. I would eat/drink whatever I wanted at the weekend. I was the smallest I've ever been without even trying.

Gummybear14 Wed 23-Jan-19 21:24:20

I have and combined it with keto losing 4 stone in 3 months. Easiest way of eating ever. Only stopped due to pregnancy but can't wait to get back to it. So much energy, never hungry and felt amazing.

MunchyMunchkin Wed 23-Jan-19 21:28:08

Yep. Works wonders for weight loss and so easy once appetite correction has kicked in. Just ensure you keep the fast clean. Black tea, black coffee or water only.

TheGirlWhoLived Wed 23-Jan-19 21:49:44

Is peppermint tea ok? Keeping with this and water apart from with meals when I’ll have a Diet Coke... or a beer grin

Beerflavourednipples Wed 23-Jan-19 21:53:18

Is it best to have the main meal in the evening?

MrsApplepants Wed 23-Jan-19 21:58:51

I’m very interested in this, I can fast for long periods quite well. Think I’ll give it a try, need to lose 20lb

TheGirlWhoLived Wed 23-Jan-19 22:00:11

You choose an hour within a 4 hour window that suits you. I have mine at 1-2pm, only because I need energy for when the kids finish school! There’s so much to do in the morning with school run/housework/yoga Etc. That I just don’t feel hungry. I also walk to Tesco to buy whatever I fancy for my meal in the morning blush

Beerflavourednipples Wed 23-Jan-19 22:01:09

Yes, I feel like I could do this as well. I tried 5:2 once but the thought of not being able to eat much at all for the whole day was so off putting. If I knew I could eat a lovely big meal in the evening, I could be on board with it!

MunchyMunchkin Wed 23-Jan-19 22:06:44

Peppermint tea is a grey area, avoid if it makes you hungry. As it’s sweet it may well be spiking your insulin which is what you are trying to avoid. Try redbush.

bridgetreilly Wed 23-Jan-19 22:09:22

No. For various reasons it's better to have the meal earlier in the day, but for practical reasons quite a lot of people end up having it in the evening. If you can do it as a brunch, lunch or late lunch, it's better for your digestion and easier, because you spend more of your hungriest hours asleep.

bridgetreilly Wed 23-Jan-19 22:09:54

Sorry, that was for Beerflavourednipples.

Beerflavourednipples Wed 23-Jan-19 22:13:21

No. For various reasons it's better to have the meal earlier in the day, but for practical reasons quite a lot of people end up having it in the evening. If you can do it as a brunch, lunch or late lunch, it's better for your digestion and easier, because you spend more of your hungriest hours asleep.

Thanks. Yes that makes sense but I would have to have the food in the evening I think, due to work etc.

Elephantina Wed 23-Jan-19 22:25:31

Hmm I could get on board with this. For the last few weeks I've been working on breaking my sugar fixation without meticulously "dieting" which has gone well, but now need to set about losing some proper weight (a good 3 stone) as my liver is apparently showing signs of fatty infiltrates.

At 46 and pre-menopausal I have found that the weight doesn't come off as easily as it did 15 years ago, so I need to try something other than calorie counting. Today I had a skinny latte at 7am then nothing until I got in and had a routine dinner at 8.30pm - easy when I'm working as I don't really notice proper hunger until I switch off my work brain. Mind you, by the time I arrived home after a 4 hour drive I'd have gladly eaten the table, that was a tad late...

Welshmamma Sun 27-Jan-19 15:43:16

Ive dropped eight pounds, found it easier to fast than worry about points etc. Had a day when i needed to eat! I was headachey and just felt I needed to eat out of my eating window. Just got back on and fasted with no problem next day.
Ive been counting cals everyday! Love it!

Readysteadygoat Sun 27-Jan-19 15:52:03

Not heard of this before now but I think I'm going to give it a go. My only problem will be not nibbling whilst feeding the baby at lunchtime confused

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »