Talk

Advanced search

To ask if anyone has tried OMAD weight loss?

(58 Posts)
VikkiStMichael1 Fri 07-Dec-18 16:45:27

One Meal A Day

I've been reading up on this way of eating which is basically a form of intermittent fasting where you fast all day and consume the vast majority of your calories at one sitting where you have a meal (anything you want). Testimonials claims it increases concentration and focus as well as losing 2-3 lbs per week.

I've never been a breakfast person and I'm not generally hungry until about 2-3pm most days so was thinking of giving it a go. Just wondered if anyone hear had tried it and had any stories to share?

Bumbledop Fri 07-Dec-18 16:55:06

I haven’t tried it, but am very interested to see what people have to say. If it works, this could be my way forward!

RrreCansada Fri 07-Dec-18 16:59:41

I sort of do this anyway. I have lost a stone since October. I work long days in a care home so only get to sit down at about 10pm.

Oysterbabe Fri 07-Dec-18 17:05:45

Do you do it every day? I like the idea of it.

TheSplendidAngharad Fri 07-Dec-18 17:11:20

I’ve been doing it since September. Never weigh myself but I must have lost at least a dress size. The first week was hard but I’m used to it now. Mix it up by having two meals a day at the weekend. Love it - it just feels natural now

VikkiStMichael1 Fri 07-Dec-18 17:25:51

Yes I think you can do it daily but have a small lunch on either a Saturday or Sunday as a treat.

I think as TheSpendid says - I would initially find it hard but hopefully then get used to it

It appeals so much because normal diets are so restrictive and this one you can eat what you like - even KFC!

UpstartCrow Fri 07-Dec-18 17:29:58

That's how I used to eat when I was thin. I've come off meds that encourage weight gain and have gone back to that way of eating most days. I also do calorie counting and low carb. So far I've lost a stone and a half.
It either suits you or it doesn't, don't do it if it makes you miserable or hangry.

quietmoon Fri 07-Dec-18 17:33:26

I love OMAD! I've been doing it for about 3 months and have lost 2 stone. I eat a HUGE meal at around 4pm, and just coffee either side of that meal. I feel satisfied and mentally happy which has meant I've stuck to it. I always over eat if I'm grazing all day, small meals just don't work for me. I end up hungry and never content.

I can't see me ever changing from OMAD now. I have another stone to lose and confident I can do it with this 'diet'.

Junkmail Fri 07-Dec-18 17:51:19

I do this quite naturally now—I’m only hungry for one meal a day since I started eating low carb/high fat. I occasionally have a bowl of Greek yogurt for lunch. I’ve lost a ton of weight but it’s hard to say wether it’s the eating one meal a day thing or the LCHF.

SeamstressfromTreacleMineRoad Fri 07-Dec-18 18:01:58

I've been doing it for about five months - have gone down a dress size smile
I rarely eat breakfast, and once I've eaten my evening meal I've never been one for nibbling in the evenings, so it hasn't been difficult at all - I've probably not fasted for the full 16 hours recommended about 4-5 times (when I was on holiday, so having a breakfast and an evening meal) but otherwise it's been fine..!

Oysterbabe Fri 07-Dec-18 18:09:05

I might give it a go after Christmas when I'm back at work. I hate having small meals and still feeling hungry after. I've got to do something to shift the last of the baby blubber.

Hikers Fri 07-Dec-18 20:46:45

This sounds good and doable, I’m interested! Is there any research or anything you can link to, to support the health benefits please?

Girlsnightin Fri 07-Dec-18 21:10:20

Not heard of this. Does the meal have to be at tea time?

earlybirdhasanap Fri 07-Dec-18 21:26:31

Never heard of this as a diet but interestingly this is how I ate at my smallest as a student nurse. Black coffee from the moment I woke up, big meal between 4-8pm.
I couldn't face it now though. I need breakfast these days.

McWilde Fri 07-Dec-18 21:44:12

Did this accidently when I came out of uni and had a very demanding job and looked after an ill relative at the same time. I only had time to sit down and eat one meal, and grab maybe a latte in the day. 2 stone off in what felt like a few weeks.

justilou1 Fri 07-Dec-18 23:38:44

I have been doing this by default. But I am also fueling it with massive amounts of stress and anxiety. Throw in perimenopause, questioning whether you want to remain married, etc.... BANG! There goes your appetite. Seriously, I have been doing it sensibly so I don’t look like a hairless chihuahua. (Weight loss at my age (46) can be REALLY unflattering due to excess skin and lack of collagen. I have lost a LOT of weight, and fairly quickly by doing Keto and intermittent fasting. My skin is not yet sagging and I am not yet having to do any dreaded exercise. (Loathe gyms, etc... happy to go for a walk occasionally, though!) While he is preachy and American confused I mostly follow the advice of Dr Eric Berg - whose books are available or amazon, or you can follow him on youtube for free. (VERY American in style, though... but short.) You can probably just get the shorter note version of his books, tbh....

halfwitpicker Fri 07-Dec-18 23:46:56

See I always thought I could have a massive full English at around 10am and I'd be good for the day. Even if you consumed 1300 cals in that one meal it'd be less than usual.

WinterfellWench Fri 07-Dec-18 23:50:05

Never tried it, but may do after Christmas

Not sure I could get on board with no brekkie though. I would have to have a cereal bar or a yogurt.

Notreallyhere23 Fri 07-Dec-18 23:50:50

I think I may try this- I don’t need to eat for quite a while in the day but if I have breakfast I get all rumbly tummy all morning and seem to need to fill up more than if I just went without.

Do you take a vitamin or anything as otherwise I’d be worrying about that only meal having enough of everything (although I find ways to worry about food whatever so...)

agentdaisy Sat 08-Dec-18 09:41:39

I lost loads of weight doing this years ago and kept it off until I had dcs and went back to my old habits of grazing all day just because. I didn't deliberately set out to only have one meal a day but I found that eating anything before dinner made me constantly graze on crap all day.

I've just started intermittent fasting as it give a bit more flexibility over Christmas as there's way too much temptation and I don't want to sabotage myself. After Christmas I'm going back to OMAD during the week and 20:4 on the weekend (eat whatever you want but only within a 4 hour window).

Re taking vitamins I take a multivitamin every day anyway but when I did OMAD years ago I mainly had things like stir fry made with loads of different vegetables, home made soup and stews to get at least 5 a day.

PodgeHog Sat 08-Dec-18 20:21:51

I’m just considering this - I found a podcast on intermittent fasting while researching 5:2 and I go to sleep to it - Melanie Avalon and Gin Stephens. Very motivating and so I’m trying it I think.

justilou1 Sun 09-Dec-18 08:27:48

If it helps inspire you, I have lost about 42kgs doing this (Keto version) in just under five months. Seems easy now. I’m kind of cycling between one and two meals per day.

SauvingnonBlanketyBlanc Sun 09-Dec-18 08:41:09

I might try it,I currently eat little but often in the week 1200 calories but it goes to shit at the weekend.I suppose it could work with say 2x 600 calorie meals per day too

TheSplendidAngharad Sun 09-Dec-18 14:14:39

The longer you can fast, the better really. Someone’s mentioned Gin Stephens who runs a really supportive fb group, and Dr Fung is good too. They both advocate a ‘clean fast’ where you just drink black coffee or plain tea with milk, as anything, no matter how low calorie, eaten during your fasting window breaks your fast and slows your results

SharonCarter Sun 09-Dec-18 14:15:31

Oh this sounds right up my street! smile

Notreallyhere23 Mon 10-Dec-18 09:34:54

Starting this today. Doing as many days as I can up until Christmas (have one day with a work lunch and my birthday in between so may fail then).

Feel a bit hungry but must be psychological as I am usually better without breakfast!

GummyGoddess Mon 10-Dec-18 20:45:21

Thanks for the thread. I've been skipping breakfast and eating a late lunch before grazing all afternoon anyway as DC are running circles around me.

Actively deciding to just wait until the evening has been amazing, I don't even feel hungry during the day and it's taken the pressure off with me trying to force time into my schedule to eat.

ANITAMATTIE Tue 01-Jan-19 23:55:04

I have been on OMAD and had great success...lost 30 lbs in a couple months ...i fell off and gain about 10 back in the past few month...today i am back on and would love it if others would join me in my quest to stay on OMAD ...i have 100 lbs to lose.
when i follow OMAD i don't have cheat days but on the other hand i eat what i want when i have my meal...any joiners for the new year?

Flanuary Wed 02-Jan-19 00:03:10

I think I’m going to give this a go. I did a very successful 18:6 kind of system up until the start of December, then it all turned to crap blush

I like Dr Berg and his wife on YT smile and think Dr Fung is the bees knees

Welshmamma Mon 14-Jan-19 08:19:52

Hi

Just found this thread and am on day one of OMAD having fasted in the past.... any of you ladies still fasting? Any success? Thanks

DianaT1969 Mon 14-Jan-19 08:26:53

I think intermittent fasting can be very good for the body, but would be mindful that I'd need to get all my nutrients for the day in one meal - so plenty of colour on the plate, covering all vitamins and minerals. A good balance of protein/fat/carbs (my carbs would be mainly veg to get the nutrients.
I doubt it's a good idea for people who attracted to eating fast food or high sugar/high carbs in their one meal a day.

It appeals so much because normal diets are so restrictive and this one you can eat what you like - even KFC!

PeonyBlooms Mon 14-Jan-19 08:54:13

I did this every day for a month and lost 20 pounds. it's hard for the first few days, but after that your body gets used to it, and as long as you eat enough calories for the day and get your nutrients in, it's perfectly fine to do.

Welshmamma Mon 14-Jan-19 17:29:27

Ive managed ok all day, drank plenty of fluids..... just ate fresh well balanced meal! Full up and ready to fast until tomorrow 💪🏽

Welshmamma Thu 17-Jan-19 09:07:56

Day four and ive dropped four and a half pounds, yes i am sure thats a lot of water but I havent found it difficult to sustain and feel less worried about what Im eating all the time x

TheGirlWhoLived Wed 23-Jan-19 21:02:37

Giving this a go- done two days so far and finding it remarkably easy! Be interesting to see first weeks weight loss ( if any) are you sticking to rough calories for your meal or just plate size and mindful on nutrition?

Beerflavourednipples Wed 23-Jan-19 21:08:33

Never heard of this as a diet but interestingly this is how I ate at my smallest as a student nurse.

Interesting...i have realised that this is pretty much how I ate when I was a full time teacher pre kids. Have never really eaten breakfast, and I would often skip lunch because I didn't have time, and then would eat a big meal in the evening. I would eat/drink whatever I wanted at the weekend. I was the smallest I've ever been without even trying.

Gummybear14 Wed 23-Jan-19 21:24:20

I have and combined it with keto losing 4 stone in 3 months. Easiest way of eating ever. Only stopped due to pregnancy but can't wait to get back to it. So much energy, never hungry and felt amazing.

MunchyMunchkin Wed 23-Jan-19 21:28:08

Yep. Works wonders for weight loss and so easy once appetite correction has kicked in. Just ensure you keep the fast clean. Black tea, black coffee or water only.

TheGirlWhoLived Wed 23-Jan-19 21:49:44

Is peppermint tea ok? Keeping with this and water apart from with meals when I’ll have a Diet Coke... or a beer grin

Beerflavourednipples Wed 23-Jan-19 21:53:18

Is it best to have the main meal in the evening?

MrsApplepants Wed 23-Jan-19 21:58:51

I’m very interested in this, I can fast for long periods quite well. Think I’ll give it a try, need to lose 20lb

TheGirlWhoLived Wed 23-Jan-19 22:00:11

You choose an hour within a 4 hour window that suits you. I have mine at 1-2pm, only because I need energy for when the kids finish school! There’s so much to do in the morning with school run/housework/yoga Etc. That I just don’t feel hungry. I also walk to Tesco to buy whatever I fancy for my meal in the morning blush

Beerflavourednipples Wed 23-Jan-19 22:01:09

Yes, I feel like I could do this as well. I tried 5:2 once but the thought of not being able to eat much at all for the whole day was so off putting. If I knew I could eat a lovely big meal in the evening, I could be on board with it!

MunchyMunchkin Wed 23-Jan-19 22:06:44

Peppermint tea is a grey area, avoid if it makes you hungry. As it’s sweet it may well be spiking your insulin which is what you are trying to avoid. Try redbush.

bridgetreilly Wed 23-Jan-19 22:09:22

No. For various reasons it's better to have the meal earlier in the day, but for practical reasons quite a lot of people end up having it in the evening. If you can do it as a brunch, lunch or late lunch, it's better for your digestion and easier, because you spend more of your hungriest hours asleep.

bridgetreilly Wed 23-Jan-19 22:09:54

Sorry, that was for Beerflavourednipples.

Beerflavourednipples Wed 23-Jan-19 22:13:21

No. For various reasons it's better to have the meal earlier in the day, but for practical reasons quite a lot of people end up having it in the evening. If you can do it as a brunch, lunch or late lunch, it's better for your digestion and easier, because you spend more of your hungriest hours asleep.

Thanks. Yes that makes sense but I would have to have the food in the evening I think, due to work etc.

Elephantina Wed 23-Jan-19 22:25:31

Hmm I could get on board with this. For the last few weeks I've been working on breaking my sugar fixation without meticulously "dieting" which has gone well, but now need to set about losing some proper weight (a good 3 stone) as my liver is apparently showing signs of fatty infiltrates.

At 46 and pre-menopausal I have found that the weight doesn't come off as easily as it did 15 years ago, so I need to try something other than calorie counting. Today I had a skinny latte at 7am then nothing until I got in and had a routine dinner at 8.30pm - easy when I'm working as I don't really notice proper hunger until I switch off my work brain. Mind you, by the time I arrived home after a 4 hour drive I'd have gladly eaten the table, that was a tad late...

Welshmamma Sun 27-Jan-19 15:43:16

Ive dropped eight pounds, found it easier to fast than worry about points etc. Had a day when i needed to eat! I was headachey and just felt I needed to eat out of my eating window. Just got back on and fasted with no problem next day.
Ive been counting cals everyday! Love it!

Readysteadygoat Sun 27-Jan-19 15:52:03

Not heard of this before now but I think I'm going to give it a go. My only problem will be not nibbling whilst feeding the baby at lunchtime confused

DONTPICKTHEMILKSPOTS Sun 27-Jan-19 16:21:33

@welshmamma you count the calories as well?
8lb in how long?

AllSuits Sun 27-Jan-19 16:40:42

As long as what you're eating is full of nutrients and has plenty of balanced variety, and your energy input is exceeded by your energy output, you'll lose weight and be healthy.

Blackbear10 Sun 27-Jan-19 16:43:22

Does anyone end up feeling woozy from blood sugar dropping on this diet?

I like the idea but I’m really concerned that if I don’t eat three meals a day I end up feeling really shaky and woozy due to my blood sugar dropping too low, maybe that’s just me though?

Welshmamma Sun 27-Jan-19 17:12:14

@DONTPICKTHEMILKSPOTS IN 13 days. For me thats amazing as i have never lost more than two pound on any diet plan.

Welshmamma Sun 27-Jan-19 17:14:10

@Blackbear10 i drink plenty of water and black coffee. I have ebough fat on me to keep going for soemtime, so havent been bothered by wozziness wink

MunchyMunchkin Sun 27-Jan-19 17:14:14

@blackbear10 you won’t become hypoglycaemic if you have no other medical problems and fast for 16-20hrs.
You might feel a little wobbly but a grain of salt and glug of water sorts that out.

TheGirlWhoLived Wed 30-Jan-19 19:45:19

I’m doing really well too, down 5lb in a week which isn’t bad considering I had Saturday and Sunday off! Hoping to lose more this week with one day off at the weekend

Welshmamma Thu 31-Jan-19 19:04:53

@TheGirlWhoLived thats great! If you can lose on 5:2 then two days non fasting is still a great plan! I had two meals today .... went with how I feel .... I felt hungry 😋

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »