Talk

Advanced search

To ask if anyone has tried OMAD weight loss?

(27 Posts)
VikkiStMichael1 Fri 07-Dec-18 16:45:27

One Meal A Day

I've been reading up on this way of eating which is basically a form of intermittent fasting where you fast all day and consume the vast majority of your calories at one sitting where you have a meal (anything you want). Testimonials claims it increases concentration and focus as well as losing 2-3 lbs per week.

I've never been a breakfast person and I'm not generally hungry until about 2-3pm most days so was thinking of giving it a go. Just wondered if anyone hear had tried it and had any stories to share?

Bumbledop Fri 07-Dec-18 16:55:06

I haven’t tried it, but am very interested to see what people have to say. If it works, this could be my way forward!

RrreCansada Fri 07-Dec-18 16:59:41

I sort of do this anyway. I have lost a stone since October. I work long days in a care home so only get to sit down at about 10pm.

Oysterbabe Fri 07-Dec-18 17:05:45

Do you do it every day? I like the idea of it.

TheSplendidAngharad Fri 07-Dec-18 17:11:20

I’ve been doing it since September. Never weigh myself but I must have lost at least a dress size. The first week was hard but I’m used to it now. Mix it up by having two meals a day at the weekend. Love it - it just feels natural now

VikkiStMichael1 Fri 07-Dec-18 17:25:51

Yes I think you can do it daily but have a small lunch on either a Saturday or Sunday as a treat.

I think as TheSpendid says - I would initially find it hard but hopefully then get used to it

It appeals so much because normal diets are so restrictive and this one you can eat what you like - even KFC!

UpstartCrow Fri 07-Dec-18 17:29:58

That's how I used to eat when I was thin. I've come off meds that encourage weight gain and have gone back to that way of eating most days. I also do calorie counting and low carb. So far I've lost a stone and a half.
It either suits you or it doesn't, don't do it if it makes you miserable or hangry.

quietmoon Fri 07-Dec-18 17:33:26

I love OMAD! I've been doing it for about 3 months and have lost 2 stone. I eat a HUGE meal at around 4pm, and just coffee either side of that meal. I feel satisfied and mentally happy which has meant I've stuck to it. I always over eat if I'm grazing all day, small meals just don't work for me. I end up hungry and never content.

I can't see me ever changing from OMAD now. I have another stone to lose and confident I can do it with this 'diet'.

Junkmail Fri 07-Dec-18 17:51:19

I do this quite naturally now—I’m only hungry for one meal a day since I started eating low carb/high fat. I occasionally have a bowl of Greek yogurt for lunch. I’ve lost a ton of weight but it’s hard to say wether it’s the eating one meal a day thing or the LCHF.

SeamstressfromTreacleMineRoad Fri 07-Dec-18 18:01:58

I've been doing it for about five months - have gone down a dress size smile
I rarely eat breakfast, and once I've eaten my evening meal I've never been one for nibbling in the evenings, so it hasn't been difficult at all - I've probably not fasted for the full 16 hours recommended about 4-5 times (when I was on holiday, so having a breakfast and an evening meal) but otherwise it's been fine..!

Oysterbabe Fri 07-Dec-18 18:09:05

I might give it a go after Christmas when I'm back at work. I hate having small meals and still feeling hungry after. I've got to do something to shift the last of the baby blubber.

Hikers Fri 07-Dec-18 20:46:45

This sounds good and doable, I’m interested! Is there any research or anything you can link to, to support the health benefits please?

Girlsnightin Fri 07-Dec-18 21:10:20

Not heard of this. Does the meal have to be at tea time?

earlybirdhasanap Fri 07-Dec-18 21:26:31

Never heard of this as a diet but interestingly this is how I ate at my smallest as a student nurse. Black coffee from the moment I woke up, big meal between 4-8pm.
I couldn't face it now though. I need breakfast these days.

McWilde Fri 07-Dec-18 21:44:12

Did this accidently when I came out of uni and had a very demanding job and looked after an ill relative at the same time. I only had time to sit down and eat one meal, and grab maybe a latte in the day. 2 stone off in what felt like a few weeks.

justilou1 Fri 07-Dec-18 23:38:44

I have been doing this by default. But I am also fueling it with massive amounts of stress and anxiety. Throw in perimenopause, questioning whether you want to remain married, etc.... BANG! There goes your appetite. Seriously, I have been doing it sensibly so I don’t look like a hairless chihuahua. (Weight loss at my age (46) can be REALLY unflattering due to excess skin and lack of collagen. I have lost a LOT of weight, and fairly quickly by doing Keto and intermittent fasting. My skin is not yet sagging and I am not yet having to do any dreaded exercise. (Loathe gyms, etc... happy to go for a walk occasionally, though!) While he is preachy and American confused I mostly follow the advice of Dr Eric Berg - whose books are available or amazon, or you can follow him on youtube for free. (VERY American in style, though... but short.) You can probably just get the shorter note version of his books, tbh....

halfwitpicker Fri 07-Dec-18 23:46:56

See I always thought I could have a massive full English at around 10am and I'd be good for the day. Even if you consumed 1300 cals in that one meal it'd be less than usual.

WinterfellWench Fri 07-Dec-18 23:50:05

Never tried it, but may do after Christmas

Not sure I could get on board with no brekkie though. I would have to have a cereal bar or a yogurt.

Notreallyhere23 Fri 07-Dec-18 23:50:50

I think I may try this- I don’t need to eat for quite a while in the day but if I have breakfast I get all rumbly tummy all morning and seem to need to fill up more than if I just went without.

Do you take a vitamin or anything as otherwise I’d be worrying about that only meal having enough of everything (although I find ways to worry about food whatever so...)

agentdaisy Sat 08-Dec-18 09:41:39

I lost loads of weight doing this years ago and kept it off until I had dcs and went back to my old habits of grazing all day just because. I didn't deliberately set out to only have one meal a day but I found that eating anything before dinner made me constantly graze on crap all day.

I've just started intermittent fasting as it give a bit more flexibility over Christmas as there's way too much temptation and I don't want to sabotage myself. After Christmas I'm going back to OMAD during the week and 20:4 on the weekend (eat whatever you want but only within a 4 hour window).

Re taking vitamins I take a multivitamin every day anyway but when I did OMAD years ago I mainly had things like stir fry made with loads of different vegetables, home made soup and stews to get at least 5 a day.

PodgeHog Sat 08-Dec-18 20:21:51

I’m just considering this - I found a podcast on intermittent fasting while researching 5:2 and I go to sleep to it - Melanie Avalon and Gin Stephens. Very motivating and so I’m trying it I think.

justilou1 Sun 09-Dec-18 08:27:48

If it helps inspire you, I have lost about 42kgs doing this (Keto version) in just under five months. Seems easy now. I’m kind of cycling between one and two meals per day.

SauvingnonBlanketyBlanc Sun 09-Dec-18 08:41:09

I might try it,I currently eat little but often in the week 1200 calories but it goes to shit at the weekend.I suppose it could work with say 2x 600 calorie meals per day too

TheSplendidAngharad Sun 09-Dec-18 14:14:39

The longer you can fast, the better really. Someone’s mentioned Gin Stephens who runs a really supportive fb group, and Dr Fung is good too. They both advocate a ‘clean fast’ where you just drink black coffee or plain tea with milk, as anything, no matter how low calorie, eaten during your fasting window breaks your fast and slows your results

SharonCarter Sun 09-Dec-18 14:15:31

Oh this sounds right up my street! smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: