Talk

Advanced search

To ask whether you prefer being blonde or brunette?

(61 Posts)
therewillbetime Thu 06-Dec-18 22:33:58

Thank you Laiste - I know what you mean about the idea and the reality of thick glossy brown hair. I might think again!!

Laiste Thu 06-Dec-18 22:10:28

I'm naturally mouse but for the last 30 years have been pale bleach blonde with low lights/dark under dye. Bra strap length straight hair.

Every 5 years or so i get bored with it and go dark brown.

And then within 2 months go through £££ and major stress going back to pale blonde.

Why? Well - my theory is this: I love the rich, sophisticated sultry look of long glossy dark brown hair and i see it on other women and love it and think ''Yeah - lets do that''. BUT unless you've got the good thick lovely hair the reality of me with dark hair is just total thin lank boring greasy looking ordinariness. Blond is easier to get looking exciting. I turn heads blonde. I bore the pants off even myself brunette.

therewillbetime Thu 06-Dec-18 22:05:39

So is ombre like balayage? Is that darker at roots (brown) and lighter at ends (blonde) ?

Grumpasaurus Thu 06-Dec-18 22:03:14

Ps I also often add purple or pink as peekaboo colours which look great.

Grumpasaurus Thu 06-Dec-18 22:02:13

Op, I am the same. White blond as a child, mousy natural hair now. Pale skin with pink undertones and green eyes.

Like you I have always maintained some sort of blond, usually highlights of some variety with lowlights of some variety. Once I went rogue and went brown. It looked awful. Then I tried a darker brown, thinking it would look more contrasty. It looked worse. Now I have balayage so my roots don't need doing so often, with a nice clean blond from 3/4 down xxx

HildaZelda Thu 06-Dec-18 22:01:21

I'm a brunette. I went blonde once. Never again. I looked like a washed out corpse.

MonsterTequila Thu 06-Dec-18 22:00:40

Would you go ombré? Best of both worlds then

Xmasbaby11 Thu 06-Dec-18 21:59:25

I have my mousey hair highlighted blonde. I have medium pale skin and blue eyes..
The colour lifts my complexion and looks natural. When I went mid brown, my features didn't stand out so well. I just looked blah. I tried a darker colour but my eyebrows are fair so didn't look natural.

I'm sticking with blonde!

NonaGrey Thu 06-Dec-18 21:59:10

Is it better being a brunette?

Better than what?

Hair colour is personal preference.

I know a few blonde women who would look considerably younger if they switched to brunette.

I also know a few women whose dark hair is not doing them any favours.

It’s personal preference and personal taste. <shrug>.

Pick the one you like best. If you can’t decide ask your hairdresser for their opinion.

ikltownofboothlehem Thu 06-Dec-18 21:58:51

I prefer reds. Similar colouring to you and red always looks better on me.

therewillbetime Thu 06-Dec-18 21:55:46

Very trivial I'm afraid but would appreciate any blondes who have gone to brunette (or vice versa). Was white blonde as a child, then as I got older, my hair became mousy. Since I was early twenties (now forty) I have had a combination of light blonde and chocolate streaks which basically make my hair look blonde overall.

I'm fed up with it and fancy a change but certainly don't want mousy hair. I have quite fair skin and green eyes. Is it better being a brunette?! I have never ever gone completely brown and cannot imagine how it would look. I'm basically rather boring and not someone who has experimented much with different hair colours in the past. Any experiences gratefully received.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »