Talk

Advanced search

To ask whether you prefer being blonde or brunette?

(61 Posts)
therewillbetime Thu 06-Dec-18 21:55:46

Very trivial I'm afraid but would appreciate any blondes who have gone to brunette (or vice versa). Was white blonde as a child, then as I got older, my hair became mousy. Since I was early twenties (now forty) I have had a combination of light blonde and chocolate streaks which basically make my hair look blonde overall.

I'm fed up with it and fancy a change but certainly don't want mousy hair. I have quite fair skin and green eyes. Is it better being a brunette?! I have never ever gone completely brown and cannot imagine how it would look. I'm basically rather boring and not someone who has experimented much with different hair colours in the past. Any experiences gratefully received.

foxtiger Fri 07-Dec-18 15:57:27

I've never been anything but ginger (which I love) for my entire life. However I'd love to know what it's like to have brown hair for a day as they say people take you more seriously. I've never seriously considered going blonde - I think it would suit my colouring better than brunette in theory, but I feel like nearly everyone goes blonde at some point and it's not a very imaginative choice.

Chocolatebourbons Fri 07-Dec-18 09:38:50

Personally I prefer being brunette - makes me look younger and is more flattering for my colouring. Naturally brown anyway but the darker I colour it the nicer it looks imo. Sadly though my years of colouring days could be over after a reaction to my last colour and a recent skin patch test.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Fri 07-Dec-18 09:35:57

I've had dark brown, black, blonde, caramel, highlights and everything in between but always went back to red, because it feels more me. Currently it's bright red/pink after bleaching, I can't get the colour to sick this time round which is frustrating. I've also been very bold and had blue hair - I loved it but it was a pain to maintain.

Chesneyhawkes1 Fri 07-Dec-18 09:26:20

I've been all sorts. Currently dark brown roots with blonde ends. And some caramel bits to break it up. Think I'll go lighter next visit on top.

I loved my red hair but it was such a pain to maintain. Needed re-doing so much more.

I get really bored with mr hair colour and want to change it a lot.

UserMe18 Fri 07-Dec-18 09:22:44

@PoisonousSmurf

I know what you mean, I stupidly tend to make sure I wear glasses for certain meetings and presentations to try to look a bit more intellectual lol, doesn't help I'm quite young for my position too.

JaceLancs Fri 07-Dec-18 08:57:44

I love being a brunette
Now in my 50s so a few greys
My hairdresser advised going slightly lighter so not too harsh and also puts in a few streaks of a warmer brown but not really red which makes it look less flat
I have my roots done and pulled through every 6 weeks and a full head colour every 6-9 months

SunnyJune Fri 07-Dec-18 08:51:51

Hi, you've just perfectly described me!
I was also really blonde and then hair started to go mousy. From the age of about 13 I just got highlights on top of highlights over and over so my hair has never been brown except!!!!
At about 18/19 I decided I wanted a change and went a chocolatey brown, I thought it would look more swishy and the upkeep would be so much easier, at first, in the salon, I didn't hate it. I got home brushed it and styled it myself and I immediately couldn't shake how 'boring' and 'bland' I felt. After about a week or two I felt like my personality had gone and I got it fixed back to my usual blonde. Now I'm 22 I've gone a lot more ashy and I love it more than ever!! Don't do it, you'll probably regret it! But if you do it isn't the end of the world your colour might just be off for a few months .

AHeartAPenny Fri 07-Dec-18 08:51:39

If I was causasian I'd definitely pretend I was a natural redhead 😍 But I'm brown-skinned so no way I could pull it off! Nor blonde. But my dark hair is thick and shiny so I'm happy with it for the most part.

SecondTimeCharm Fri 07-Dec-18 08:50:09

i’m naturally a fairly chestnutty/mid brown and i LOVED being white blonde.. i miss it still 3 years down the line but the expense of upkeep and the damage of bleach on my hair plus two pregnancies means it likely won’t come back for a good while...

i’m fairly pale but olive skin tone if that makes sense (tan well if i do) but in my experience white blonde hair look amazing on pretty much anyone

Iknowthatguy Fri 07-Dec-18 08:47:07

I'm blonde, very blonde as a child now dark blonde that I get highlighted. I have blue eyes and blonde freckles in the sun. I don't suit darker hair, it makes me look ill.

The best hair colour is whatever suits you best.

PoisonousSmurf Fri 07-Dec-18 08:46:38

I seem to be treated better as a brunette. 'Dumb Blonde' is a term bandied around far too much.

Birdsgottafly Fri 07-Dec-18 08:45:05

I was blonde, or a mix, from when I was fourteen.

I went brunette on occasion and although I suited it, I liked being blonde.

I now have to be brunette, because my grey comes through so quickly and I have to home dye.

I'm going to go back to the hairdressers next year, when I've done a few jobs in my house.

Take advantage of being able to do what you want with your hair!

MsHopey Fri 07-Dec-18 08:43:18

Brunette is too boring for me personally. I like my hair to be BAM in your face.
I loved blonde, white blonde, but the bleach made my hand terrible, the condition was scary and I lost most my hair in a bleaching accident. And my roots came through in around a week and looked terrible.
I too am naturally a mousy colour.
I have dyed it red pretty much ever since it all broke off.
Only have to do it every 8 weeks or so and way less damage than being blonde, and I still get go show my personality with it.

UserMe18 Fri 07-Dec-18 08:42:28

I am very pale with blue eyes, I've found blonde hair doesn't wash me out as much, I tend to do ombre with a couple inches of darker roots. I like having dark glossy hair (more natural for me) but I find blonde makes me stand out a bit more. Thankfully with roots being acceptabe it's low maintenance, if it ever really falls out of fashion I may have to go dark again because I can't be doing with a 3 hour hair cut every 6 weeks lol. I agree with others I think lighter hair is less aging (on the women I can think of at least).

MulticolourMophead Fri 07-Dec-18 08:38:10

Bolder in colour, not whatever that was there 😁

MulticolourMophead Fri 07-Dec-18 08:37:27

I used to do brown as I started turning grey around 20. I would have gone bokdervin colour but my ex didn't like the idea i might do something outrageous.

I now have white blonde bleached hair and it does suit me.

MrsScamander Fri 07-Dec-18 08:35:55

Redhead grin

JamPasty Fri 07-Dec-18 08:23:45

I dyed mine ginger - had more complements on it in the first year or so than I ever did as a blond. Upkeep is a royal pain though (applies to all dye jobs I assume)

PaintingOwls Fri 07-Dec-18 08:10:03

Aesthetically I liked blonde more on me but the bleach totally obliterated my hair. I'm also lazy and found the upkeep a pain.

knittedjest Fri 07-Dec-18 08:08:25

I prefer my hair dark, almost black. I'm very pale and have a strong jawline and light eyes. With dark hair I'm pretty striking (don't mind me tooting my own horn) but with blonde hair everything just seems to blend together in a cloud of beige. Plus my hair grows like a weed and I'm too lazy to upkeep blonde hair.

AmIRightOrAMeringue Fri 07-Dec-18 08:06:20

My hair is really fine, I'd actually like to go darker but if I don't bleach it's too flyaway and greasy.

Just a thought I think you can get apps or go on websites wheré you upload a photo and it changes the hair colour or style for you so you can experiment with different looks

lostlalaloopsy Fri 07-Dec-18 08:02:27

I just had my dark hair lightened with a few blonde highlights. I prefer it this way, I'm very pale so the dark hair was washing me out. My main problem with being blonde is that I have incredibly thick hair so dying it takes ages!!

baubled Thu 06-Dec-18 23:23:31

I'm fair with green eyes and have red hair, why not throw blonde/brunette out and go for a complete change grin

lilySalvatore Thu 06-Dec-18 22:37:19

I personally think blonde is less ageing as darker hair tends to frame the face and draw attention to any lines, I guess it depends on skin tone but I find I look softer with fairer hair as I’ve aged.

Princess1066 Thu 06-Dec-18 22:35:14

Natural blonde here - faded to mousy in my thirties - live in Ireland so serious lack of sun most of the time hmm

Been through various cuts - long , medium & short & a variety of shades of blonde, red & brown.

Am now very dark brown with a chin length bob & everyone says it really suits me so I'm sticking to it for now grin

Sometimes it's just a matter of trial & error - I cut & colour my own so I'm lucky in that regard.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »