Talk

Advanced search

To think that most people on a plane don't know where they are going?

(222 Posts)
sallysummer Thu 06-Dec-18 21:12:57

When I talk to people they often have an appalling knowledge of geography - not knowing where Poland is, confusion which ocean is which etc; geography is my area of employment.

I think I could get on a plane and ask people to show me where they are going on a map and they couldn't - why do people not know where places are?

Iknowthatguy Thu 06-Dec-18 21:14:55

You've answered your own question. Because their geography isn't as good as yours.
Is the thread just to make you feel superior or is there actually a point to it?

smartcarnotsosmartdriver Thu 06-Dec-18 21:16:08

I am appalling at both directions and geography but I have other skills. It is a little annoying and embarrassing but it's not something that stays in my head.

user1471517900 Thu 06-Dec-18 21:16:29

As long as the pilot knows where we're going then it's probably ok.

Iknowthatguy Thu 06-Dec-18 21:17:06

user grin

sallysummer Thu 06-Dec-18 21:17:34

I just think that if you are going somewhere on holiday you'd at least look on a map to see where you were going.

CherryPavlova Thu 06-Dec-18 21:17:38

But you can always see exactly where you are on the tv screen. How many miles from start, how far to destination, where you’re flying over etc. Difficult not to know.

OftenHangry Thu 06-Dec-18 21:18:43

I get what you mean OP!
No one needs to be a Phd level, but basic geography is imho a must. At least European countries since it's the same continent?

OftenHangry Thu 06-Dec-18 21:19:26

@CherryPavlova nit on budget ones...

FleeceDetective Thu 06-Dec-18 21:19:27

I think it’s just information. Like knowing the periodic table or mathematical theories, useful to know sometimes but not really relevant to everyday life for a lot of people.

Iknowthatguy Thu 06-Dec-18 21:20:19

Have you actually got on a plane and asked everyone if they know where they're going or is this just a hypothetical situation you're imagining may happen?

sallysummer Thu 06-Dec-18 21:21:24

But you can always see exactly where you are on the tv screen. How many miles from start, how far to destination, where you’re flying over etc. Difficult not to know.

That's not the same as knowing where it is - is in in Africa? Asia? What's the culture like? the weather? Most people seem not to know anything about where they are going.

WinterfellWench Thu 06-Dec-18 21:22:05

I doubt VERY much that most people on a plane don't know where they are going.

What a very odd thing to say. confused

I agree with a pp; you sound like you think you are superior! hmm

LetMeThinkAboutThat Thu 06-Dec-18 21:22:14

But do you actually ask people when you get on a plane to show you were they are going? and if you're all on the same plane, then surely you're all going to the same place which you already know, save for transits.

sallysummer Thu 06-Dec-18 21:22:53

@iknowthatguy not on a plane no but from general conversations people seem not to know much about where they are going on holiday - colleagues who went to Poland and thought it was going to be hot, people who said they had no idea the flight to Australia was going to be so long - they thought it'd be 3 hours (presumably confusing Australia and Austria)

WinterfellWench Thu 06-Dec-18 21:23:28

Oh so now you have changed it to 'they don't know anything about WHERE they are going!' hmm

Jog on @sallysummer hmm

LetMeThinkAboutThat Thu 06-Dec-18 21:23:33

where

Dizzywizz Thu 06-Dec-18 21:26:11

Doesn’t a flight to Australia have a stopover??

Iknowthatguy Thu 06-Dec-18 21:26:23

Parts of Poland can be very hot in the summer...
I find it difficult to believe that there's many people they think Australia is a 3 hour flight from the U.K. (I presume).
Perhaps consider also that there's a large section of society that have had very poor education, have never travelled or have vulnerabilities etc.

Iknowthatguy Thu 06-Dec-18 21:27:52

Oh so now it's about not knowing the culture etc. Well presumably they'll find out these things when they visit. Good for them.

BeeFarseer Thu 06-Dec-18 21:28:01

Especially if they're traveling to Finland.

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/finlandConspiracy/comments/52f5ae/the_finland_conspiracy_and_all_you_need_to_know/

BirthdayKake Thu 06-Dec-18 21:29:19

You can go direct to Australia, I'm sure...

TSSDNCOP Thu 06-Dec-18 21:30:34

Isn’t the precise point of going somewhere to find out about it?

LetMeThinkAboutThat Thu 06-Dec-18 21:31:39

Surely it will say on the ticket departure and arrival times, and that would indicate how many hrs?

DreamsofJacaranda Thu 06-Dec-18 21:32:24

I once sat next to a young couple who were flying for the first time (we’d been chatting because they were nervous and worried about the noise the plane was making). The husband looked out of the window as we flew over the sea and said “Hey, just look at all those icebergs!”
His wife leaned over to look and said “Wow, they’re amazing!”

They were actually seeing small clouds - above the Mediterranean grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: