Talk

Advanced search

To ask not to park outside our house

(256 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

aibuhun Thu 06-Dec-18 17:12:25

We live on a tight street so if you get back late you will not be parking on that street or you will have to park right at the bottom and walk up (our street is long 5 min walk at least).
Sometimes OH pops to the shops in the evening and someone will take the spot right away so in the morning I have to carry two DCs bags coats right to the bottom. DD is 10 weeks old and DS has just turned two and he hates walking!

I'm getting fed up now and I never say anything as I know you can't fight over a spot but would I be unreasonable to ask them to not park there when I see them pulling up?

They are never neighbours either they are always people visiting angry

OliviaStabler Thu 06-Dec-18 18:06:32

One neighbour I used to have put his wheelie bins in the parking space to save it.

Pebblesandfriends Thu 06-Dec-18 18:08:48

It's awful. I had a neighbour who lived across the road and down a bit who would always park outside ours even when there was space outside hers. Drove me nuts. It was one of the major reasons we moved.

aibuhun Thu 06-Dec-18 18:09:56

@WorraLiberty when you have shopping and two kids it is a nightmare. Putting the kids

aibuhun Thu 06-Dec-18 18:10:29

In the house and having to walk back to the bottom of the street for shopping walking up and down believe me it's a nightmare.

Singlenotsingle Thu 06-Dec-18 18:11:52

I'd be the one putting the cone out!

mummypeepee Thu 06-Dec-18 18:12:12

My neighbours constantly leave a bin in the road outside their, and my, house. I’ve called the council to complain and they said nothing they can do and whilst it’s annoying nothing can be done other than move them myself and face any bad feeling. So yeah you can just do that 🤷‍♀️

Nicknacky Thu 06-Dec-18 18:15:13

It’s not a nightmare. It’s just a pain in the arse.

Parking is a pain but you can’t expect people to not park at your request

StroppyWoman Thu 06-Dec-18 18:15:43

It's annoying, sure, but YABVU. You have no more rights than anyone else to park on a public street.

aibuhun Thu 06-Dec-18 18:15:47

@suddenlypanicked we have two but OH parks on another street in a car park because he gets back late. Yup nightmare I don't think people understand until they are in the situation.

WhenOneDoorClosesAnotherOpens Thu 06-Dec-18 18:15:57

If it makes you feel any better OP, after struggling for years with parking problems at my house in London, when I moved I specifically bought a house outside London with a large drive. All the houses around me have large drives which I thought meant there would be no parking problems. WRONG! A neighbour 3 houses down refuses to park in his own drive and instead parks opposite mine which means I struggle to get in and out of my own drive every. single. day. Buying a house with a drive does not always solve parking problems ime.

WinterfellWench Thu 06-Dec-18 18:16:13

Why are you even posting this thread when you are moving soon anyway?! confused

How bizarre!

YABU to complain when you chose to live in a house with no driveway or garage. That's like buying a house 300 yards from a Church, and then whining about the Church bells, and the clock chiming.

Annoying as it is, you can't tell people where to park, when it's a public road.

Mitzimaybe Thu 06-Dec-18 18:17:22

So why doesn't DH take his car to pop to the shops rather than yours?

You don't have a neighbour problem, you have a DH problem.

aibuhun Thu 06-Dec-18 18:17:52

@ScrantonTheElectricCity don't think I'm that bad yet wink

ZoeWashburne Thu 06-Dec-18 18:21:10

You bought the house without a driveway. You decided to have children. You decided to go out later? Why on Earth would you be giving evils to anyone?!

The entitlement of some people. Everyone has difficulties. Everyone has challenges. You are not special. Your situation is not different than many, many other people. Your entitlement is not nice.

aibuhun Thu 06-Dec-18 18:21:26

@WinterfellWench not moving until March this is my life now so I've asked a simple question it's not bizarre at all.

manicinsomniac Thu 06-Dec-18 18:22:19

well, YABU but it's worth a try. It depends on the person who is parking in your space. A lot would move.

I've been asked to move by residents in various areas three times that I can think of.

The first knocked on the door of a holiday home and said his partner was disabled and had to have that parking space. I felt really guilty so I moved it a long way down a very steep hill.

The second came out of her house as I pulled up and said it was her husband's space and I couldn't park there. She was very firm and I'm really not so I just apologised and moved on.

The third time I'd been looking for a space for ages so was feeling more assertive. When a lady came out of her house and said the spaces were reserved for her and her neighbours I said, 'oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realise this was a residents parking road.' I thought that would make her go back in huffing but she just said 'well it is' and brazened it out (it wasn't). So I meekly repeated, 'sorry, I didn't realise' and drove away.

I'm sure I can't be the only non confrontational wimp out there. If you give it a go you might get your way!

StateOfTheUterus Thu 06-Dec-18 18:24:30

I have the same prob with managing kids and shopping - I block the road with hazards on outside my house while I hurriedly hurl the bags of shopping into the hallway, then jump back in the car with the kids, find somewhere to park, get the buggy out and walk back to the house with the kids. It's a faff but at least I don't have to worry that the kids are alone in the house. I guess it's a bit anti social to block the road but I'm as quick as possible. It's just part of city life - I have to wait when the road is blocked by waiting taxis - so this is no different in my opinion.

WinterfellWench Thu 06-Dec-18 18:24:36

Well firstly you complained and moaned in your original post, (not even mentioning that you were moving,) THEN you said 'we are moving soon anyway!' with a big grinning smiley! And now you say, not for 3 or 4 months.

Make your mind up. hmm

WinterfellWench Thu 06-Dec-18 18:25:10

So yeah, your posts ARE bizarre!

PlatypusPie Thu 06-Dec-18 18:25:23

I know how you feel but no, don’t be that person. My neighbour felt that he had the right to the space outside his house, in an area of narrow Victorian houses and most houses having one or two cars. He actually said to me he envied the people with disabled bays outside their houses because it guaranteed them a parking space ( whilst casting doubts on their actual need for them) Not a nice man.

Our standing ‘joke’ is which neighbouring London borough we have had to park in when coming back after about 5,30. When the children were small, like yours, OP, I used to use a buggy to transport children plus bags etc ( sling for younger until older inevitably was less whingy about walking ) - any reason you can’t do that ?

MyKingdomForBrie Thu 06-Dec-18 18:28:42

He needs to not pop out. Make sure he gets what he needs before he gets home! I feel your pain we were in a terrace before we moved. Drive way was top of our house criteria shopping list!

rachelfrost Thu 06-Dec-18 18:31:47

Lol

MyKingdomForBrie Thu 06-Dec-18 18:32:55

Having a bad evening @winterfellwench?! Op said she was moving 'soon' - March is fairly soon but not so soon that this isn't annoying!

Obviously no one has the right to reserve parts of the public highway and op has realised this, it doesn't mean that this doesn't feel annoying even though you know that's an unreasonable feeling. Not everyone is the same, some people wouldn't consider it annoying to have to walk five minutes with kids and bags, it would be lovely to be so patient and sanguine!

KnightlyMyMan Thu 06-Dec-18 18:33:28

🤔 evils out of the window

Oh Op - 🍪

I live on one of these streets btw nice city centre terrace built long before households had cars - now each house has two/three cars and LOVE to have visitors ❤️

It doesn’t matter a 🍪 that the space is ‘right outside your house’ ITS NOT YOUR SPACE!

If you would like an allocated space then buy a home with one ... which it sounds like you are doing so well done! but if In the meantime you feel the need to give people parking (perfectly within their right) evils - close your curtains you unreasonable 🍪

😂😂😂😂

Xx

PigletWasPoohsFriend Thu 06-Dec-18 18:35:11

YABU. You don't own the road.

If you are giving people evil looks for parking perfectly legally then expect a few back.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »