Talk

Advanced search

To ask not to park outside our house

(256 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

aibuhun Thu 06-Dec-18 17:12:25

We live on a tight street so if you get back late you will not be parking on that street or you will have to park right at the bottom and walk up (our street is long 5 min walk at least).
Sometimes OH pops to the shops in the evening and someone will take the spot right away so in the morning I have to carry two DCs bags coats right to the bottom. DD is 10 weeks old and DS has just turned two and he hates walking!

I'm getting fed up now and I never say anything as I know you can't fight over a spot but would I be unreasonable to ask them to not park there when I see them pulling up?

They are never neighbours either they are always people visiting angry

Hidingtonothing Thu 06-Dec-18 17:31:48

Surely the real problem is your OH not thinking ahead? If he knows moving the car in the evenings will result in hassle for you the next morning couldn't he get what he needs on his way home from work, or walk to the shop? It's a bit crap not being able to use the car in the evenings but if keeping 'your' space is important that might be the sacrifice you (or rather your OH) need to make.

Jeezoh Thu 06-Dec-18 17:31:53

As the others have said, you’d be unreasonable to say anything. You have no more right to park there than anyone else. Hopefully your next place will have better parking!

Butchyrestingface Thu 06-Dec-18 17:33:38

Why would you even dream of asking when you're about to move?

BewareOfDragons Thu 06-Dec-18 17:33:46

Evils out the window? I hope you're kidding, because people are perfectly within their rights to park on a public street that doesn't have posted restrictions.

Arrowfanatic Thu 06-Dec-18 17:34:09

Alas it is unreasonable, but I sympathise. We are the only house in the whole street who hasn't put a drop kerb in to have a double driveway as at the time we had just one car and someone was always parked out the front of our house. Now we have a second car and want to park out the front but the instant we leave someone is in the space and we have to park in the next street over. We can't afford to do a dropped kerb as unfortunately our house also has the telephone cable entry thingy AND the water meters for half the street so the cost to drop kerb was 3 times the price elsewhere (probably why the previous occupant never did it). It's frustrating but not much we can do.

xyzandabc Thu 06-Dec-18 17:34:47

Sorry but it's a public road for public parking. If you want a particular space reserved for you then you buy or rent a house with a driveway or dedicated parking space

KaitlynRep Thu 06-Dec-18 17:36:26

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

megcustard Thu 06-Dec-18 17:38:18

Surely it's your DH you should be giving the evils to? If he were more organised then perhaps he wouldn't need to keep popping to the shops.

VikkiStMichael1 Thu 06-Dec-18 17:38:44

I would put a bollard(s) in front of my house when I popped out, you can probably find some spares on the hard shoulder of the M4

Chocolatecoffeeaddict Thu 06-Dec-18 17:38:45

YABU, but I get where you're coming from. Someone keeps parking right outside mine, right on the pavement and I struggle to get my double buggy out without nearly scratching their car.

theonlyKevin Thu 06-Dec-18 17:40:33

I honestly don't know what ever made you consider that you could ask them that.

Giving driving the evils is just an invitation for them to always park there I am afraid!

GreenHillOpposite Thu 06-Dec-18 17:41:47

I had a neighbour leave a note on my windscreen telling me not to park outside their house because they have small children.

cadburysflake Thu 06-Dec-18 17:42:34

My husband refused to buy a house without a drive for this reason, he turned down a beautiful house that only had on street parking. I huffed about it for weeks. Three years on we have 2 kids under 3 and I (quietly) thank him for our house with a large drive (it’s not as beautiful or as big as the other house I might add!!).

I hope your new house has a large sweeping drive! On a public road you can’t tell people not to park unfortunately.

Hohocabbage Thu 06-Dec-18 17:46:17

When you get a good spot you don’t move the car. First rule of on street parking. Your dh is inconveniencing you, and you would of course be unreasonable to ask anyone else not to park there!

aibuhun Thu 06-Dec-18 17:53:21

@megcustard it's nothing in particular like yesterday evening he popped to Asda to get cough medicine for dd it's nothing to do with being more prepared.

SushiMonster Thu 06-Dec-18 17:54:33

Maybe DH could walk to the shops rather than using the car for another journey? Or be more organised and stop at the shops on your way home.

GivingBloodFeelingGreat Thu 06-Dec-18 17:54:36

This is why I don't drive and have no desire to.

You are being unreasonable.

ScrantonTheElectricCity Thu 06-Dec-18 17:55:47

Ah OP please dont be like our prick of a neighbour who despite being new threw his 9stone soaking wet weight around when he moved in. Parked outside my house, fair enough, but then when I parked outside his instead, told me to move my car and got his pregnant OH to come and have a go too. Best of it is they have at least 3 vehicles and I only have one. Entitled so and so

lunar1 Thu 06-Dec-18 17:56:34

Why are you giving people evils? You don't own the road.

elfycat Thu 06-Dec-18 17:57:13

I moved a cone so I could park and the house owner came out and questioned my moving it. Apparently his son would be home from work soon and it was his space.

I pointed out that I could park on any space and reserving is not on. I received a lecture about how he always pays for parking (good for you mate), how tight it is living in a seaside town (your choice?) and was treated to him aggressively throwing the cones into his front garden, presumably so I could see how upset and aggressive I had made the man.

Unbeknownst to him I was in a menopausal hormonal rage and ready to punch some teeth out. Of course I wouldn't have but I was spoiling for a fight (love these hormones). DH completely ruined it by getting out of the car and at 6ft4 and barrel chested he's a large man and made the 'bwave' man slik into his house. Ruined my day that did. I obviously took some photos of my car (in case the nasty streak reappeared) and went about my day.

We have commuters leave their cars in my road from Mon am to Fri pm as it's the first non-restricted parking to the town/station. It's Victorian terraced housing so parking is a nightmare without commuters, but they have the right to park too.

YABU I'm afraid.

Jimdandy Thu 06-Dec-18 17:57:19

YABU. It’s public highway so I’ll park where I like as long as there’s no restrictions.

It’s the choice you make when you choose to live in a house with no off road car parking

WorraLiberty Thu 06-Dec-18 17:57:19

How can 5 minutes walk be such a big deal?

Your 2 year old will need to get used to walking anyway.

Bluntness100 Thu 06-Dec-18 17:57:48

I lived in a house with this problem, and it is proper shit. I'd try to avoid living somewhere with out parking ever again.

However I never considered asking folks to not park outside my house becayse as a pp said, I'd no more right to that space than anyone else.

Elfinablender Thu 06-Dec-18 17:57:50

As you say, just have to suck it up. You don't own the road.

suddenlypanicked Thu 06-Dec-18 18:00:06

It's so annoying
Do you have one or two cars
Can you park a car in two spaces
You poor thing I hate it when people park in front of my house and I have to make my son walk and carry shopping etc it's impossible isn't it

Yabu to ask people not to park there but can you get a drop kerb and park in front of house maybe? I know it's expensive

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »