Talk

Advanced search

To ask how much you would willingly pay for your work's Christmas Party?

(241 Posts)
Hohohonooo Wed 05-Dec-18 22:19:20

I'm not going because of the cost.

Ours is £70 per person, which is for a 3 course meal and all inclusive beer and wine. AIBU to think that's way too much?! For context, I earn £25000 per year, which is fairly typical for my workplace.

How much would you be willing to spend?

chaoscategorised Wed 05-Dec-18 22:23:43

I'm slightly surprised because I've never worked anywhere I paid for my own staff Christmas party - is this the norm? I like my colleagues but if I'm spending £70 for a 3 course dinner, presumably in some hotel's function suite, it'd better be with people I really enjoyed the company of!

Bath9000 Wed 05-Dec-18 22:23:51

That's expensive especially if you're not a big drinker. Depends on the quality of the food and alcohol as well as the venue, if theres entertainment or a DJ etc. . I would pay up to £40 or so for a three course meal alone but would expect a bit of entertainment too.

DramaAlpaca Wed 05-Dec-18 22:25:51

That's a lot of money & I wouldn't be going. For context, ours is paid for by our employer & all drinks are included.

FingerLickingGod Wed 05-Dec-18 22:26:00

We don’t pay. Didn’t realise some people have to pay to be honest.

IheartNiles Wed 05-Dec-18 22:28:10

£0. Actually, they’d have to pay me.

MaMaMaMySharona Wed 05-Dec-18 22:28:46

I actually can’t believe you have to pay, let alone that much! I think about £30-40 would be my top limit.

madcatladyforever Wed 05-Dec-18 22:30:27

£30 max. This year we are having it at a colleagues house and all bringing food and booze. I wouldn't go for £70.

ferntwist Wed 05-Dec-18 22:31:48

I’ve always had to pay as I work for a public sector organisation but it’s never been more than £30. It’s not fair to expect people to pay £70 before Christmas or any time.

Mascarponeandwine Wed 05-Dec-18 22:32:38

I think all teachers have to pay don’t they?

Storminateacup1 Wed 05-Dec-18 22:32:38

We paid £35 each last year for a 3 course meal and entertainment.
It was absolutely bloody awful and I’ve vowed to never again go to an ‘event’ Christmas party. We were shushed by other tables and the food and entertainment was dire.

This year it’s a low key meal and drinks, much better!
We usually only get a £5pp contribution towards the cost of the party from the company, however it’s very rarely claimed as the managers are always a bit useless and forget.

DanielRicciardosSmile Wed 05-Dec-18 22:33:01

Around £30 without drinks, another tenner on top to include drinks. But I never go anyway, as I think they're a rip off - any other time of year (possibly excluding Valentine's Day, Mother's Day and similar) you'd pay half the money for a better meal.

MadameJosephine Wed 05-Dec-18 22:33:02

The most I’ve ever paid was £45 and that was inclusive of all drinks. They stopped that after just the once though so about £30ish now which is fine for a glass of fizz on arrival , a meal, a band and a bit of a disco

Thanksandnext Wed 05-Dec-18 22:33:08

We would usually pay £35 ish then own drinks.

Onemorefireball Wed 05-Dec-18 22:35:17

Of course some people have to pay! Imagine the outrage if the nhs or any other public organisation paid £30 a head for the staff to have a Christmas party!!

I would pay up to £35, would prefer about £25, but then I'd probably spend Mother £20-30 on drink. Even with free drinks I'd not want to spend £70. For one thing I'd get plastered because I'd want my money's worth!

Wrongwayup Wed 05-Dec-18 22:36:45

Mother will be pleased and pissed

MistressDeeCee Wed 05-Dec-18 22:38:18

£0

I have never worked anywhere that staff have to pay for the Christmas party.

Hohohonooo Wed 05-Dec-18 22:38:27

@Onemorefireball

"For one thing I'd get plastered because I'd want my money's worth!"
- So true! O dread to think what I might say to certain colleagues after a few too many glasses of wine, I'm a lightweight!

AfterSchoolWorry Wed 05-Dec-18 22:39:38

Nothing. I'd pay nothing. I only go to these things under sufferance.

ilovesooty Wed 05-Dec-18 22:39:50

I work for a charity and we have to organise and fund our own

It's £45 for meal and entertainment. Not sure whether it includes any drinks.

BishBoshBashBop Wed 05-Dec-18 22:40:07

Work has always paid whereever I have worked.

bridgetreilly Wed 05-Dec-18 22:40:22

I would not pay £70 and I would not pay for all-inclusive drinks, because I don't drink more than one glass of wine in an evening. I think that's a ridiculous expectation to have. I would probably be organising an informal, cheap and cheerful alternative night out tbh.

TeachesOfPeaches Wed 05-Dec-18 22:40:34

I have a Christmas lunch for work on Friday. Total people is 14 and 30
Bottles of wine have been preordered confused for a LUNCH. At least it's free.

RebeccaCloud9 Wed 05-Dec-18 22:41:38

I was supposed to go to mine next week (£40) but can't go now - So pleased as the event is turning out to be a total flop. A friend went to the same event this week and it was awful. Some people only got their starters and literally no more food. And no drinks included in that price.

I always find that 'event' Christmas dos are crap food and naff entertainment anyway. and massively overpriced. Think I'll steer clear next year!

cleanhousewastedlife Wed 05-Dec-18 22:41:44

I've decided not to go, because I resent being asked to give up £30 and an evening. Bah humbug! grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: