Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To object to feeling obliged to wear a bra?

(55 Posts)
poppynic Wed 20-Jun-07 13:57:01

Admittedly I'm on the small side in that department (about a 12B). I stopped wearing a bra as much as possible a couple of years ago because I was having a lot of breast pain and it seemed to help to have no restriction. I haven't worn one at all since I got pregnant and grew out of my bras and am now breast feeding - baby nearly 5 months, so much easier not to have to bother with clasps and hooks etc. It was fine during winter but now it's summer I'm feeling a bit embarrassed - but at the same time I'm really beginning to object to the idea that we should all be hitched up and pulled in and trying to pretend that boobs look nothing like they really do - or am I turning into a raving leftie hippie-type?

missgriss Wed 20-Jun-07 14:01:16

I always wear a bra. I could always tuck my boobs into my waistband I suppose, but a bra looks nicer on me

alicet Wed 20-Jun-07 14:01:35

Where do you get the idea from that we should all be hitched up and pulled in? I would never think twice if I even noticed someone wasn't wearing a bra!

Sounds like the issue is more your embarrassment at not wearing one than anyones issue with it - or am I a raving leftie hippie-type too if it doesn't bother me?!!!?

I wear a bra for comfort rather than anything else and would want to when breast feeding in case of leaks. But thats just me!

mother2b Wed 20-Jun-07 14:02:18

get a sports bra if embaressed? i personally couldnt not wear a bra, i hate it when people can see my nipples, you can get vest tops which have a bit of support in for summer?

i think that its a free world and do whatever you feel comfortable doing!

handlemecarefully Wed 20-Jun-07 14:03:30

It's up to you I guess but I'm not sure I'd want your pectoral muscles!

ThomCat Wed 20-Jun-07 14:03:33

A 12B - wow!!!! I don't think you need a bra I think you need a few dinners love!

ViciousSquirrelSpotter Wed 20-Jun-07 14:04:01

Oh god I have to be hitched up and pulled in

There are horses to be firghtened.

But I don't care what anyone else does. I'll just think "ooh, you need trinny and susannah on your case".

But not in any judgemental way, you understand

donnie Wed 20-Jun-07 14:04:08

what is a 12b?

WigWamBam Wed 20-Jun-07 14:04:25

I'm quite happy to be hitched up and pulled in; if I didn't wear a bra I'd be perpetually tripping over my norks which can generally be found somewhere around ankle level

But it's not compulsory, so if you don't want to wear one, don't wear one.

ViciousSquirrelSpotter Wed 20-Jun-07 14:04:47

She means size 12 and b cup

Don't you?

moopymoo Wed 20-Jun-07 14:06:14

i thought it was a pencil lead measurement and was confused. let them all hang out if it makes you happy. i, like others , would trip over mine.

poppynic Wed 20-Jun-07 14:07:59

Yes, I do mean a size 12 and a B cup. Glad everyone is so relaxed about it. I guess I'm paying the price for my own Trinny and Susannah attitudes. .

luciemule Wed 20-Jun-07 14:08:18

I loved not wearing a bra in my early twenties (in the summer with vest tops) but now after feeding my DCs for a total of over 3 yrs and losing 2 stone sice january, I don't have a lot left and not wearing a bra would make me look even more flat chested than I am already. It wouldn't bother me as much but I'm quite hippy with a biggish bum so I'd look very unbalanced.

That said, it's fine if you don't want to wear one but I'd be a bit cautious about your delicate breast tissue not being supported, that's all. I also remember my great aunt having boobs down to her knees when she sat down and really didn't want to look like that when I was 80!
It's a much more free feeling though not wearing one.

AnguaVonUberwald Wed 20-Jun-07 14:11:10

I wear a bra to work during the week, but don't wear one at evenings and weekend. Means co-workers can't see things I woudln't want them to see, but not bothered about strangers or friends. (Although do wear one if its a seethrough top)

poppynic Wed 20-Jun-07 14:11:51

luciemule - yes, you've hit the nail on the nork - i think it's the free feeling I'm enjoying and thinking it should be more encouraged. (saw "how to look good naked" last night, which I really enjoy as he's so positive, and okay, that lady probably would want to wear one - but has any of those programmes ever suggested no bra was an option?)

IntergalacticWalrus Wed 20-Jun-07 14:13:24

I need to waer a bra, mainly to stop people who walk behind me from tripping over my tits

messedupmum Wed 20-Jun-07 14:15:31

I am very flat chested after having my two ds's and like the fact that if I dont want to wear a bra I dont have to, so with certain clothes, where you cant wear a bra it is very easy, but most of the time I do as it gives me a bit of shape, otherwise only KP's down my t-shirt!! Serious bit now, you should try and support them now and again as they might end up a bit more saggy than you expected, a bra also gives a nice shape

poppynic Wed 20-Jun-07 14:21:33

I'm not convinced bras help them not to sag. We don't hold up other parts of our bodies to stop them sagging. Most women wear bras most of the time and there's still sagging - is it not just a notion dreamed up by the fashion industry?

poppynic Wed 20-Jun-07 14:22:20

KPs?

messedupmum Wed 20-Jun-07 14:23:40

yes you may be right poppynic, but as an experiment maybe I should put my bra on my ass and see if it stops the sagging, as I have such tiny tits they will never sag!!

messedupmum Wed 20-Jun-07 14:24:11

kp's = peanuts = nipples

poppynic Wed 20-Jun-07 14:26:06

ooohhhh messedupmum - you may be onto a multi-billion £ idea there.

bozza Wed 20-Jun-07 14:26:15

I definitely need one for exercise. I also think I look better in one under a vest top these days so on Monday I wore a strapless one under a vest top. But on the 1.5 hour journey home I removed it. Strapless ones are particularly uncomfortable.

Listmaker Wed 20-Jun-07 14:27:28

I'm afraid that I think unless you have small and very pert norks then a bra is a necessity. I would never be seen without one as it just looks unattractive.

poppynic Wed 20-Jun-07 14:28:08

I take it you weren't in the middle of a full tube at the time?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now