Talk

Advanced search

To find it really distasteful to take photos of your children’s gifts?

(226 Posts)
StarfishSandwich Sun 11-Nov-18 21:29:50

I’ve noticed a trend on Facebook for mums to post photos the night before their child’s birthday of a big pile of wrapped up gifts. Or just as bad, after the event posting a picture of a big pile of opened gifts.

Since when does anyone want to see pictures of presents? It feels really tacky and showy.

blackchina Mon 12-Nov-18 14:23:42

@Ironfloor269

I think it's vulgar and show offy. If you must save those memories, fine, upload them on fb but change privacy setting so that only you (or close family) can see them, not each and everyone on your social media.

Why on earth SHOULD they? hmm Why don't YOU change YOUR settings, and unfollow people who clearly annoy you so much with posting their happy family photos?!

Or do them a favour and unfriend them!

Good grief there are some angry and bitter people on here. sad

Getting all het up because people share nice family photos on SOCIAL MEDIA! if it upsets people THAT much, then delete your bloody facebook!

BettyBizzghetti Mon 12-Nov-18 14:39:06

I’m one of them parents, 🙋🏼 And quite honestly don’t give a shit what you think 😊 so what if I’m happy my kids are another year older, it’s memories, it’s not about the presents about being thankful they’ve made it another year, life is to short and I wanna remember it as best possible for the time we do have. I work hard and am glad I can give my kids a day to remember. My mum did it for me and my brother (filming and lots of pictures) I’d rather my kids got up and see shit loads of balloons and some presents than the parents arguing and no one bothering. I wanna share with my family that one of my favourite people in the whole world has a special day, that’s what I live for, so it’s tacky, So are a lot of things people post on Facebook. Just get over yourselves and scroll down if you don’t wanna see it.

Just ugh.

It is a class thing?

Ironfloor269 Mon 12-Nov-18 14:45:03

@blackchina, I still think it's vulgar and crass. Sorry. That's my opinion. You are more than welcome not to agree though.

Semifeatured Mon 12-Nov-18 15:09:43

Why is it vulgar and crass? It's innocent as fuck in my opinion.
It's not showing what 'I got'. It's showing what you're giving because you're excited about giving?

Emma765 Mon 12-Nov-18 15:12:47

@BettyBizzghetti Really? Did you actually just say that?

ProfessorMoody Mon 12-Nov-18 15:16:30

Is it a class thing

Are you saying that I'm inferior to you?

BasicUsername Mon 12-Nov-18 15:17:56

@Emma765

I thought the same thing.

Clearly @BettyBizzghetti thinks that she is a member of the upper echelons of society. I fully expect to find her in Debretts 😂

Semifeatured Mon 12-Nov-18 15:21:50

If it's a class thing, most royal visits include gift giving in their coverage. Two I can think of is Harry and Meghan being given little Uggs in Australia and something else for the baby somewhere else on their recent travels.
So, if it's a class thing, I'm up there with the best of them. wink

ProfessorMoody Mon 12-Nov-18 15:23:42

I always find it's the unintelligent that bring class into an argument. It shows a lack of class. Classy people wouldn't go onto the Internet and slate others for their Facebook photos because they genuinely don't give a fuck.

Emma765 Mon 12-Nov-18 15:26:25

@Semifeatured clearly Sir Peter Cosgrove should have ensured that no cameras were on him when he gave the Ugg boots to Harry and Meghan, because it's ever so crass and lower class to allow anyone to see that you're giving someone a gift!

Mia1415 Mon 12-Nov-18 15:26:58

I’m one of them parents, 🙋🏼 And quite honestly don’t give a shit what you think 😊 so what if I’m happy my kids are another year older, it’s memories, it’s not about the presents about being thankful they’ve made it another year, life is to short and I wanna remember it as best possible for the time we do have. I work hard and am glad I can give my kids a day to remember. My mum did it for me and my brother (filming and lots of pictures) I’d rather my kids got up and see shit loads of balloons and some presents than the parents arguing and no one bothering. I wanna share with my family that one of my favourite people in the whole world has a special day, that’s what I live for, so it’s tacky, So are a lot of things people post on Facebook. Just get over yourselves and scroll down if you don’t wanna see it.

Me too!

JudasPrudy Mon 12-Nov-18 15:29:08

It just makes me a bit sad, the consumerism of Christmas, how it's all about getting stuff. But I can see why people do it.

What I really don't like seeing is a carefully displayed pile of presents from the person's partner with #spoiltgirl #theboydidgood. Feels like a competition of who has the best boyfriend/husband - who loves their partner the most.

legalseagull Mon 12-Nov-18 15:31:19

God parents can't do anything right nowadays without being judged. Who cares if they post photos? Maybe they think it's really special and they want to share it with their (so called) friends. Take your judgey pants off.

gamerwidow Mon 12-Nov-18 15:43:26

What I really don't like seeing is a carefully displayed pile of presents from the person's partner with #spoiltgirl #theboydidgood. Feels like a competition of who has the best boyfriend/husband - who loves their partner the most.

Those posts always ring alarm bells for me. My sister was always posting those types of posts forgetting to mention they were apologies from her exP for knocking 7 bells out of her earlier.

MarthasGinYard Mon 12-Nov-18 15:54:24

Phew thank goodness I'm not on Fb is this actually a thing??

Thesnobbymiddleclassone Mon 12-Nov-18 15:57:46

I get worked up when the mums and dads I know who sit around on the arses all day not working post about buying little Mercedes an iPad with beats headphones.

Emma765 Mon 12-Nov-18 15:59:08

Is what actually a thing @Martha? That people post pictures of their trees all set up with presents on Christmas Eve, or that other people are such judgemental arseholes about what others put on Facebook?

LasMeninas Mon 12-Nov-18 16:16:10

So many posts on here where posters just want to shoot people down calling them tacky, distasteful, crass etc just because they're excited and want to share with people who they consider to be their friends

This is probably partly true, the only problem with it (and the reason why social media feels inherently show-offy) is that most people share things with a huge circle of people, of which 90% are not really friends.

A lot of people I guess aren't knowledgeable enough or bothered enough about privacy settings, so you end up in this situation where you want to stay vaguely in touch with someone, so being facebook friends makes sense, but you don't want to see pictures of what they're having for dinner or their kid's first poo in the potty. And I think it works both ways in terms of responsibility for that.

I just got rid of facebook a couple of years ago and use whatsapp instead, where I can talk to and share photos with my family and actual friends. I honestly have not missed the updates from people I was at uni with 15 years ago or people I worked with for 6 months in 2011.

Limensoda Mon 12-Nov-18 16:21:24

I suppose it's showing off?
'Look how many gifts we've bought our child!'

Queenofthedrivensnow Mon 12-Nov-18 17:35:14

I posted dd2 presents on Instagram. I have a private account and only 154 followers. She got the giant barbie campervan if you want to judge me a bit more.

BettyBizzghetti Mon 12-Nov-18 22:42:04

I always find it's the unintelligent that bring class into an argument. It shows a lack of class. Classy people wouldn't go onto the Internet and slate others for their Facebook photos because they genuinely don't give a fuck

Touché, @ProfessorMoody?

I don't have a Facebook account, so I'm not sure why I would actually be bothered by this. It's just the idea of it that's generally grotesque, I suppose.

BadLad Mon 12-Nov-18 23:20:08

I always find it's the unintelligent that bring class into an argument.

She shoots. She scores!

It shows a lack of class.

And immediately scores an own goal.

ProfessorMoody Tue 13-Nov-18 08:23:56

Or, you could just let people get on with their own lives. Why do you care? It's bizarre.

SpecialLittlePrince Tue 13-Nov-18 08:38:40

You can think something isn't for you and still not care about it. It's the people who do if and say they don't care what anyone thinks, that seem to get upset.

OnlyMakeBelieve Tue 13-Nov-18 08:45:30

It's not as bad as the gushy posts to one-year-old Timmy telling him what an amazing person he is and how he's changed their lives and brought world peace and happiness to everyone.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »