Talk

Advanced search

..or is my friend a cake wanker?

(143 Posts)
sconebonjovi Sun 11-Nov-18 12:45:19

'It was my friend's 30th birthday party yesterday; a surprise that I helped organise. I spent all morning making a lovely cake for the party. According to the recipe it served 32 people.
Took the cake to the pub, lit the candles, sang happy birthday etc etc, was all very nice.

When we left the pub, she asked my husband to drop the cake back at her house. When I said ‘don’t you want to take it to the restaurant so everyone can have a piece’ she said ‘no, I want to have as much of it as possible’, and that was that.

Am I being petty, or is that really bloody weird?! Our other friends were also a little confused as to what had happened to the cake. Cake is for sharing!

ScreamingValenta Sun 11-Nov-18 12:46:29

Take it as a compliment to your cake. It was so nice, she couldn't bear to give it up. cake

CrispbuttyNo1 Sun 11-Nov-18 12:47:03

Her birthday, her cake.. can’t realky see the problem 😂

HollowTalk Sun 11-Nov-18 12:48:13

To be honest, I don't blame her!

Fatasfook Sun 11-Nov-18 12:48:36

You don’t take cake to a restaurant

sconebonjovi Sun 11-Nov-18 12:48:52

This is why I was asking, wasn't sure if it was odd behaviour or whether the rest of us are just sore we didn't get any cake lol

Biker47 Sun 11-Nov-18 12:49:22

Wow, what a greedy bastard.

Tartyflette Sun 11-Nov-18 12:49:55

YANBU but I suppose she thought that as it was a present for her she could do what she liked with it, including keeping it all for herself. greedy cow

Myusername101z Sun 11-Nov-18 12:50:46

Haha I actually done this at my baby shower only because the cake was so beautiful I didn’t want to cut it straight away , there was cupcakes for everyone else though

fuzzywuzzy Sun 11-Nov-18 12:50:54

Some restaurants let you bring your own cake if you ask before hand.

She sounds greedy.

Ohyesiam Sun 11-Nov-18 12:51:24

She’s greedy, but the cake must have looked good.
Ime a cake that serves 12 does my family of 4 nicely, so maybe she didn’t want a mini slice.
Had you prepped the restaurant that you would be bringing cake?

Aeroflotgirl Sun 11-Nov-18 12:51:26

Good on her, it was her cake to enjoy, I would see that as a compliment. I love cake, and would definitely prefer it at home where i can sit down and enjoy it with a nice brew.

spanishwife Sun 11-Nov-18 12:51:34

In these kinds of situations if there's a clear purpose for something I usually preempt by saying something like 'I made this so we can take it to xyz to share!'
If they then decide they want to do something else, then it's their choice really. You made it for her.

Biker47 Sun 11-Nov-18 12:51:59

You don’t take cake to a restaurant

I've seen plenty of birthday cakes in restaurants before, and I'm pretty sure they didn't make them, they were brought by the people who's celebration it was. Pretty sure most places will allow you to bring a cake, and maybe charge you for the plates and cutlery.

Ihopeyourcakeisshit Sun 11-Nov-18 12:52:46

She obviously thought your cake wasn't shit.

SnuggyBuggy Sun 11-Nov-18 12:52:48

As much as I would love to eat an entire birthday cake myself that is odd behaviour

Biker47 Sun 11-Nov-18 12:55:12

It was a surprise party, if the OP had stumped up for wine on the tables, would it be alright for the person who's birthday party it was to ask the OP's husband to collect all the bottles up before anyone has had any and deliver them to her house on the way home?

Doghorsechicken Sun 11-Nov-18 12:59:03

She was being a greedy cow

ReadMyLipss Sun 11-Nov-18 13:00:18

How could one person or even one family eat a whole cake which serves 32 people?

Are you sure she doesn't have another birthday party planned with other people and she's saving it for that instead?

woollyheart Sun 11-Nov-18 13:11:00

Sounds weird to me. If someone makes a birthday cake, it is for everyone to celebrate.

ohtheholidays Sun 11-Nov-18 13:11:09

Very shitty behaviour on your friends part

cheesemongery Sun 11-Nov-18 13:11:58

Take it as a compliment, she just wants to get home and shove her face in that cake.

What a lovely thing for you to have done, I'd be sharing it out.

Caprisunorange Sun 11-Nov-18 13:12:40

Maybe she’s planning to eat it with family today or something. I guess she thought it was part of her gift?

FredFlinstoneMadeOfBones Sun 11-Nov-18 13:14:02

It is very odd blog her she can't possibly be planning to eat 32slices of cake herself! That said usually you only bring cake to a restaurant if you're actually going to do the candles etc there. If you lit the candles in the pub maybe you could have sliced it and handed it out there too.

TheProvincialLady Sun 11-Nov-18 13:15:41

Greedy and selfish. Not very attractive.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: